PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Second Layer = How much Gain Gloss or Longevity or Mostly Placebo

Fallguy007
05-18-2021, 06:06 PM
Know a second layer ensures coverage but how much does a second layer add in additional gloss or durability (avalonking).

I am not a professional, just an enthusiast. Know sealants layer and have done that (duragloss), this is my first foray into ceramic.

Prep work (wash/decon, clay, buff, ipa wipedown) is enough of a chore itself would like to get away with just one complete coat of ceramic (unless significant gains can be made by second coat. Daily driver (challenger).

Regards,

P.S. how does wiping a second coat on a mere 1-2hrs after the first coat of ceramic not mess with/disturb the first coat. Is the first coat so locked in at 1-2 hrs that coat #2 doesn't disrupt/smudge/smear/disturb coat #1 in any bad way/fashion. Thinking 1 coat with close monitoring to make sure nothing missed during application might actually yield best results. Or no problem with 2nd coat and should go for it.

Bruno Soares
05-18-2021, 08:49 PM
It adds about 10 to 20%, not double like one would expect. It’s mostly to guarantee you didn’t miss a spot from the 1st coat. It’s easy to miss a spot and chances are on second go you don’t miss the same spot again.

General Toner
05-18-2021, 09:37 PM
Just finished two coats on the clown car using blackfire pro ceramic. Wheels are off as will be coating them later in the week. First time using this coating, much easier for me to tell when ready to wipe vs cquk3 was for other 3 cars in the garage.

The Guz
05-18-2021, 10:40 PM
Best to follow the manufacturers directions. If they call for two then apply two. If it says one with an optional second then you can do one. And if there is no information about applying a second layer after a given amount of time then one is more than likely enough. But always follow up with the manufacturer.

You would be surprised how often I ask manufacturers how many layers are recommended and the amount of wait time between layers.

One example of a one layer coating is Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light. Gtechniq has mentioned it is not required and that CSL is not layerable.

Another example is Cquartz UK 3.0 where it is recommended to apply two layers. Corey states why at 2:22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lq9Q4VdEvM&t=1s

Mike Phillips
05-19-2021, 09:20 AM
I just did back-to-back installs of coatings on this old 2-door European job because this car is going to be parked outside 24x7 - at least for now.

2016 Mercedes-Benz S550 4MATIC Coupe - Wolfgang Paint Correction and Ceramic Coating (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/129332-2016-mercedes-benz-s550-wolfgang-paint-correction-ceramic-coating.html)

The logic being a thicker layer of the coating will last longer and protect better against whatever is in the water?

What's in the water? (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/126292-whats-water.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/whats_in_the_water_03.jpg

The most difficult part of installing a coating or a second layer of the coating besides all the prep work in working carefully to avoid high spots.

I'd much rather apply a coat of wax any day but everyone wants a coating now days.

:)

opie
05-19-2021, 09:28 AM
Know a second layer ensures coverage but how much does a second layer add in additional gloss or durability. Personally the coating i use, i notice a siginficant amount of gloss and depth to the paint when i add my second, also the manufacture recommends a second coat

Bill D
05-19-2021, 09:28 AM
I'll take a wax any day of the week myself as well.

Fallguy007
05-19-2021, 10:01 AM
Two Coats it is!!!

Somedays I wish I owned a rat rod...... but then would probably be the exact opposite and be researching/obsessing on how to best create/add patina :wowwow:!

vaca22
05-19-2021, 01:21 PM
It adds about 10 to 20%, not double like one would expect. It’s mostly to guarantee you didn’t miss a spot from the 1st coat. It’s easy to miss a spot and chances are on second go you don’t miss the same spot again.

I think I saw Yvan Lacroix mention something about using small, circular motions for applying a coating because doing so somehow eliminates the chances for high spots. He said that the cross hatch pattern is more likely to create such spots due to the nature of the motion of the application, as opposed to just constantly moving in circles.

Wondering if anyone out there has tried something like CQUK and a foam applicator using this technique. I would not be opposed to trying it.

Paul A.
05-19-2021, 01:38 PM
I usually do only 1 coat however ALWAYS do GTechniq CSL and EXO which to me is like 2 layers.

2black1s
05-19-2021, 02:02 PM

Not specifically coating related, but I hear this "miss a spot" explanation way too many times, regardless of the task. I don't get it.

How do you wash, wax, coat a car and "miss" spots in the process?

Maybe it comes from my painting background where uniformity is critical, but I don't think I've ever "missed a spot".

Bruno Soares
05-19-2021, 03:59 PM
Not specifically coating related, but I hear this "miss a spot" explanation way too many times, regardless of the task. I don't get it.

How do you wash, wax, coat a car and "miss" spots in the process?

Maybe it comes from my painting background where uniformity is critical, but I don't think I've ever "missed a spot".

I think with coatings it can happen because we're so careful not to get coating on adjacent panels or places that we might forget to wipe off (and leave a high spot) that we might actually not coat an area, albeit small. More likely to happen on edges or places near door handles or mirrors than in the middle of a panel. Depends on the car color, some are very easy to see where the coating has been applied, others you can barely tell. If you're going through the effort to coat a car, why not do the 2nd layer, which most coatings call for, and be sure you didn't miss a spot? And although it's a small gain, laying that second coat usually gains you a little more protection and that's what we're after when using a coating.

I have used coatings before that said do just 1 coat, don't layer. And that's what I did, just made sure to do a neat job and covered it all.

Having said all that, I also think I never missed a spot, but one can never be too sure.