PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip Planned

Pages : [1] 2

Lance Mark
05-18-2021, 01:11 PM
I'm heading to Mt Rushmore soon. Been planning it for a while now. The rough plan is about 3200 miles in 8-9 days.

Took a lot of time to get the bike cleaned and sealed. The bike looks great, probably won't stay looking great the whole time, but the work I did was in part to make it look good, but also to protect it. I kind of have an addiction now, so I'll probably bring along some MF cloths and some pre-diluted ECH2O tucked in a bag...ya know...just to get my fix in.

My wife is a great travel companion and the time together on long trips like this is always an adventure and a lot of fun.

Here's the rough plan....but we get lost sometimes...on purpose.

Texchappy
05-18-2021, 02:03 PM
Have a good time!

2black1s
05-18-2021, 02:32 PM
Looks like a cool trip. I've been to many of the places you are going to traverse and by the looks of your route. I think one of the coolest things you are going to see is the Mackinac Bridge.

I rode across it (N to S) in 2011. You can look through the grates to the water about 200 feet below... It's a strange experience as your bike will wander on the grates. The right lane is paved, the middle lane is steel grates. If you have any queasy feelings the paved lane can be your friend LOL.

As for Mount Rushmore, it used to be cooler than it is today. In the past, the road went right up to the base of the mountain. Unfortunately, that road no longer exists. It has since been re-routed and in its place they have built a Welcome Center and commercialized the area. Regardless, its still a cool destination, just not as virgin as in the past. I don't think you could get the attached shot today... There's a building in the way.

Have Fun!

73461 73462 73463 73464

Lance Mark
05-18-2021, 02:49 PM
Looks like a cool trip. I've been to many of the places you are going to traverse and by the looks of your route I think one of the coolest things you are going to see is the Mackinac Bridge.

I rode across it (N to S) in 2011. You can look through the grates to the water about 200 feet below... It's a strange experience as your bike will wander on the grates. The right lane is paved, the middle lane is steel grates. If you have any queasy feelings the paved lane can be your friend LOL.

As for Mount Rushmore, it used to be cooler than it is today. In the past, the road went right up to the base of the mountain. Unfortunately, that road no longer exists. It has since been re-routed and in its place they have built a Welcome Center and commercialized the area. Regardless, its still a cool destination, just not as virgin as in the past. I don't think you could get the attached shot today... There's a building in the way.

Thank you, sir. I've been over the Mighty Mac once on the bike. We did a weekend up from Detroit to the Soo Locks. It was really quite the experience and would recommend it in a car or bike to anyone considering a visit to the area.

I'll try to get the same vantage point and snap a pic when I'm there. We'll compare views. :)

John U
05-18-2021, 03:35 PM
Make sure to have a pastie when in the UP.
When in Duluth, get to canal park to see Lake Superior & the lift bridge and go over it to the end of the road.
Aerostitch riding clothes is headquartered in South Duluth.
Fargo has the main store of Scheels sporting goods if you need something.
The Black Hills is all good! Stop at Wall, SD and walk thru Wall Drug.
The Museum of Speed in Lincoln NE, open in the afternoon, is an eye opener.

mdbenge
05-18-2021, 04:26 PM
Looks like a fantastic trip.

It appears you will be in Cedar Rapids, IA , which is where I live.

A really great stop for a rider, or anyone for that matter, is the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, IA. Within 30 minutes north of Cedar Rapids. Hundreds of bikes on display.

Sizzle Chest
05-18-2021, 05:44 PM
That is an epic trip you planned! Looking forward to pics and stories!

Safe travels!

PaulMys
05-18-2021, 06:00 PM
That is an epic trip you planned! Looking forward to pics and stories!

Safe travels!

^^Frank Rizzo up here said it all!^^

Have a great trip, my man. :)

Lance Mark
05-19-2021, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the well wishes. I'll be sure to get some pics.

Lance Mark
05-28-2021, 05:18 PM
Looks like a cool trip. I've been to many of the places you are going to traverse and by the looks of your route. I think one of the coolest things you are going to see is the Mackinac Bridge.

Have Fun!

73461 73462 73463 73464

PaulMys
05-28-2021, 05:25 PM
Awesome pics!!!!! :)

Lance Mark
05-28-2021, 05:32 PM
I’ll get some more pics up when I get home... epic slow connection at the motel I’m at.

Been a great trip. We rode about 5 hrs in pretty hard rain today and after a few semis left me in clouds of water and mist I threw in the towel. Looking forward to getting home.

Markymapo
05-28-2021, 09:04 PM
Awesome trip. We drove to Mt Rushmore last June from Philadelphia area via Sturgis stay over, what a great time. Stay safe

2black1s
05-28-2021, 11:12 PM
... I'll try to get the same vantage point and snap a pic when I'm there. We'll compare views.

Before and after the commercialization... You can't get to the point where the first pic was shot from. It was taken from the side of the road in 2003. That road no longer exists.

73551 73550

I remember that building being there on my second trip to Rushmore. I don't know who was responsible for the location but there had to be better place than where it ended up. The old view, and the road right along the base, was so much better.

I'm leaving next week (Monday or Tuesday) for a ride from Los Angeles to Cleveland. Unlike your trip, mine is going to be by the seat-of-my-pants. No plans whatsoever except that I'm going to end up in Cleveland 3, 4, 5 days later. I haven't even picked my route yet. I just get on the bike each day and wherever I end up is where I end up.

Lance Mark
06-01-2021, 09:08 AM
Before and after the commercialization... You can't get to the point where the first pic was shot from. It was taken from the side of the road in 2003. That road no longer exists.

I remember that building being there on my second trip to Rushmore. I don't know who was responsible for the location but there had to be better place than where it ended up. The old view, and the road right along the base, was so much better.

I'm leaving next week (Monday or Tuesday) for a ride from Los Angeles to Cleveland. Unlike your trip, mine is going to be by the seat-of-my-pants. No plans whatsoever except that I'm going to end up in Cleveland 3, 4, 5 days later. I haven't even picked my route yet. I just get on the bike each day and wherever I end up is where I end up.

We did some wandering. We made really great time and dipped down into Kansas, after that, I made an unplanned stop in St Louis to visit my brother's grave. It was unplanned, but one of the highlights of the trip. Meant a lot to be able to be there and think about him.

Safe travels, sir.

A pic from closer in.

There was a lot of fog and there was construction on the bridge, so you had to ride on the grid. It feels worse than it is, but it sure feels like you are floating a bit when you are riding on a metal grid like that.

This is at a scenic lookout over Lake Michigan. It was a cool shot of the rest area building and us...and a stranger offered to get a pic of us. It was a foggy day, so pics of the water didn't come out well. It's pictures of fog basically.

One of my favorite presidents.

Words can't describe, how enormous this is in person.

Here we are in Northern MI in The Tunnel of Trees. My wife is geared up for rain, I hadn't given in at that point and refused to believe it would be anything other than a light misting. We hit 13 states in all. Saw a lot, rode a lot.

Next year we are heading to Maine.