PDA

View Full Version : Why did this happen after polishing by hand?

ItsKYRO
05-17-2021, 01:36 PM
I washed car, then clay bar, everything was going great, then polished the hood by hand with a microfiber pad and immediately wiped off with MF towel. It left these marks which can be easily seen by my overhead light

Btw was using meguiars ultimate polish

What caused this and how do i fix it?

opie
05-17-2021, 01:43 PM
Hard to tell, Try and get a better picture if you can, that one is quite blurry.

Texchappy
05-17-2021, 01:46 PM
Are you sure it isn’t reside from the polish that didn’t get fully removed?

ItsKYRO
05-17-2021, 01:55 PM
I wiped it as good as i could but now I'm thinking maybe I'm using too much polish on the pad? That im not able to work it in enough quick enough?

Im wondering if i use the same polish on it if it will remove

dwaleke
Agree it's hard to see in the picture.

Looks like bad marring from claying. But you said it showed up after polishing so that doesn't add up.

Rsurfer
Might be that you rubbed to hard with uneven pressure. Lightly go over in a different direction.

dwaleke
05-17-2021, 01:57 PM
I wiped it as good as i could but now I'm thinking maybe I'm using too much polish on the pad? That im not able to work it in enough quick enough?

I highly doubt that.

But we're not there so it's really hard to say.

Do you have a panel wipe (or even just glass cleaner) to make sure that's not polish residue?

waddell64
05-17-2021, 02:03 PM
Do you have a panel wipe (or even just glass cleaner) to make sure that's not polish residue?

Was thinking the same thing that it looked like it was possible left over polish residue that didn't come up with the microfiber towel.

2black1s
05-17-2021, 02:05 PM
Might be that you rubbed to hard with uneven pressure. Lightly go over in a different direction.

That's exactly what my first thought was... Too much pressure (or least finishing with too much pressure)... And also too much distance between hand strokes.

Go over the area using a liberal amount of polish with 80-90% overlapping strokes. Polish until the product starts to dry out and drag. Then wipe off the residue. You should be lightening your pressure throughout the process and finishing with little to no pressure at all. Repeat as required.

ItsKYRO
05-17-2021, 02:09 PM
I was applying a medium amount of pressure so I'll go back over with lighter pressure

PaulMys
05-17-2021, 05:42 PM
Are you sure it isn’t reside from the polish that didn’t get fully removed?

When I read that the OP used Meg's Ultimate Polish, this was my first thought.

UP was the first product I ever used to machine correct (on a test car). It worked just fine, but it was a real b!tch to remove. I thought it was me having zero experience, but I later found out it was not me. It was the product.

So I am thinking that using it by hand might magnify this problem.

FUNX650
05-17-2021, 06:15 PM
I washed car, then clay bar, everything
was going great, then polished the hood
by hand with a microfiber pad and
immediately wiped off with MF towel.

It left these marks which can be easily
seen by my overhead light

Btw was using meguiars ultimate polish

What caused this and how do i fix it?

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/1F952908-986C-40EC-9B8A-1E91C3DFAB8B.jpeg

•From here it looks pretty scuffed-up.
-(If that is a sign of any left over polish
residue, then it’s probably stuck within
those scuffed-up blemishes, IMO.)

•Since Ultimate Polish has very mild abrasives...
-Perhaps the microfiber pad you used to apply
the Ultimate Polish had some contaminates
embedded in it?
-And/Or you really applied a lot of down force
while polishing?

:idea:
Try using a (contaminant free) foam
applicator pad to re-polish the hood.

Bob

ItsKYRO
05-17-2021, 06:55 PM
Got it fixed. My MF towel may have had some contaminants + i wasnt applying enough force with the towel. I switched towels and applied some force when drying it up after re polishing and its looking good.

Thanks all

PaulMys
05-17-2021, 07:20 PM
Got it fixed. My MF towel may have had some contaminants + i wasnt applying enough force with the towel. I switched towels and applied some force when drying it up after re polishing and its looking good.

Thanks all

Good to hear.

Yeah, you definitely need some FORCE to remove the Ultimate Polish. ;)