PDA

View Full Version : NevrDull on Chrome Passenger Running Board - Never had this happen.

Pages : [1] 2

Lance Mark
05-14-2021, 03:28 PM
I first used NevrDull on the Chrome and metal parts on an old '74 BMW r90s. It does a great job of cleaning and polishing.

I picked some up recently and have used it on many of the parts of my bike and it works just like I remembered.

I've used wadded aluminum foil and water on chrome and didn't mar the surface at all. It would be hard to believe that I damaged Chrome with the NevrDull wadding.

I'm taking a better look at what I did, and what I can do to fix it if I can and I'm asking for thoughts and suggestions.

Rsurfer
05-14-2021, 04:00 PM
I first used NevrDull on the Chrome and metal parts on an old '74 BMW r90s. It does a great job of cleaning and polishing.

I picked some up recently and have used it on many of the parts of my bike and it works just like I remembered.

I've used wadded aluminum foil and water on chrome and didn't mar the surface at all. It would be hard to believe that I damaged Chrome with the NevrDull wadding.

I'm taking a better look at what I did, and what I can do to fix it if I can and I'm asking for thoughts and suggestions.

Did the NevrDull leave the hazing?

2black1s
05-14-2021, 06:09 PM
I learned this lesson many, many years ago... Never use any kind of chrome/metal polish on "perfect" chrome. I reserve those polishes for chrome that needs some help and even then, only when I know the result is going to be less than perfect.

Many will also suggest 0000 steel wool. That is another no-go in my book.

I'm sure there are some polishes safe for perfect chrome, but most that I have ever tried are way too aggressive and abrasive.

For chrome in good condition my go-to product is Meguiar's OTC Cleaner Wax in the maroon bottle. It safely cleans and protects without any abrasives.

As for fixing what you have... Sorry to say but it can't be done.

Did you change your screen name?

Rsurfer
05-14-2021, 06:16 PM
I learned this lesson many, many years ago... Never use any kind of chrome/metal polish on "perfect" chrome. I reserve those polishes for chrome that needs some help and even then, only when I know the result is going to be less than perfect.

I'm sure there are some polishes safe for perfect chrome, but most that I have ever tried are way too aggressive and abrasive.

For chrome in good condition my go-to product is Meguiar's OTC Cleaner Wax in the maroon bottle. It safely cleans and protects without any abrasives.

For chrome in good condition I clean with Clarify Glass Cleaner. Spray Way cleans a little better.

PaulMys
05-14-2021, 06:48 PM

John, have you had the chance to try Collinite #850 Metal Wax?

It has an even "lighter touch" than a cleaner wax IMO, and does a hell of a job on "perfect" chrome.

2black1s
05-14-2021, 07:57 PM
John, have you had the chance to try Collinite #850 Metal Wax?

It has an even "lighter touch" than a cleaner wax IMO, and does a hell of a job on "perfect" chrome.

No I haven't.

Actually it's fairly rare for me to use anything on chrome other than regular cleaning with a "quik detailer" or the like. For those rare occasions when I want to give the chrome a little extra pop I'll bring out the Meg's Cleaner Wax.

PaulMys
05-14-2021, 08:00 PM
No I haven't.

Actually it's fairly rare for me to use anything on chrome other than regular cleaning with a "quik detailer" or the like. For those rare occasions when I want to give the chrome a little extra pop I'll bring out the Meg's Cleaner Wax.

Gotcha.

I needed something for the chrome exhaust tips on the Ram which take a beating as you can imagine.

The 850 was a Godsend for me. IMO

Bill D
05-14-2021, 08:10 PM
850 does a great job removing tarnish from the entire exhaust system. Later this month, during the oil change, I will go over all of it.

FUNX650
05-15-2021, 02:58 PM
I'm taking a better look at what
I did, and what I can do to fix it
if I can and

I'm asking for thoughts
and suggestions.

I’d give Simichrome a try:
it has the finest sized abrasives
of any metal polish available.

Bob

Eldorado2k
05-15-2021, 04:34 PM
Ok 1st of all, and I can’t believe this question hasn’t been asked yet.. Yes it may be a stupid question but still, is this piece on the Harley Davidson? Is this real chrome or chrome plated plastic chrome? Not PVD is it?
Did the Nevr Dull dull out any of the chrome anywhere else on the bike?

As far as a possible solution, odds are like others have said there might not be 1… However if I only had 1 shot with 1 product, I’d reach for the BriteMax Easy Cut. This is the only stuff I’ve ever used that removed not only heavy spotting and oxidation from plastic chrome but also fine scratches which until then I thought there was no remedy for. If step 1 doesn’t work, bust out the buffer and try it again.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210515/c261c67349f24bdab13cbcda22c396ac.jpg

And send Nevr Dull a picture of that and see what they’ve got to say. Because I’d be upset.

Eldorado2k
05-15-2021, 04:37 PM
Gotcha.

The 850 was a Godsend for me. IMO

Godsend with a capital G eh? Alrighty then, makes note. Lol

PaulMys
05-15-2021, 04:55 PM
Godsend with a capital G eh? Alrighty then, makes note. Lol

:laughing::laughing:

robwoodgto
05-15-2021, 08:26 PM
Ok 1st of all, and I can’t believe this question hasn’t been asked yet.. Yes it may be a stupid question but still, is this piece on the Harley Davidson? Is this real chrome or chrome plated plastic chrome? Not PVD is it?
Did the Nevr Dull dull out any of the chrome anywhere else on the bike?

As far as a possible solution, odds are like others have said there might not be 1… However if I only had 1 shot with 1 product, I’d reach for the BriteMax Easy Cut. This is the only stuff I’ve ever used that removed not only heavy spotting and oxidation from plastic chrome but also fine scratches which until then I thought there was no remedy for. If step 1 doesn’t work, bust out the buffer and try it again.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210515/c261c67349f24bdab13cbcda22c396ac.jpg

And send Nevr Dull a picture of that and see what they’ve got to say. Because I’d be upset.

Looks like one has to go to England to get the easy cut. Do you have a U.S. source?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Eldorado2k
05-16-2021, 03:20 AM
Looks like one has to go to England to get the easy cut. Do you have a U.S. source?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

I bought it here on Autogeek. It was on the outlet sale like most of the Britemax still is today.. Unfortunately it appears to be sold out now. The Final Cut Metal Polish appears on the list at half price, but if you click on it, it too says it’s “out of stock”

robwoodgto
05-16-2021, 07:12 AM
I see it now, thanks. I will be contacting AG to see if they foresee getting it back in stock and if not will be ordering direct. I have some plastic chrome trim with tiny scratches and would love to try and get those out.