PDA

View Full Version : Is Griot G9 Vibration too much and cause finger/hand pain?

donnghia
05-14-2021, 06:42 AM
I got the GG 6 inches and it not only heavy but also vibrate too much. It cause my hand/finger/shoulder alot of "ting ting" and pain after a very short time using it !

I'm looking for a new DA Polisher and look for the G9, I just wonder if the G9 is vibrate as much as the GG6, Or too much that cause a lot of hand/finger pain?

If is still cause pain, I may have to look for much more expensive DA such as Rupes Bigfoot, but it is quite overprice for a weekend warrior like me !

Many thanks !

Texchappy
05-14-2021, 09:30 AM
I’d say so. I just got one and I don’t know why everyone said it was so great. It’s more powerful but in every other metric it’s worse or the same as my 15 year old PC. Right now I’m regretting getting it. And watch out touching the area where the brushes are, they get hella hot.

2black1s
05-14-2021, 12:35 PM
If you want a perfectly smooth polisher without any vibration - you need a rotary.

Orbital polishers by their nature can not and will never be completely vibration free. With the ideal counterweight, backing plate, and pad it may be vibration free in some configurations but not in all. The weight of the pad will change dependent on the amount of product it is holding. As that weight changes the balance of the machine is altered.

Essentially what you have is a machine that may be in perfect balance and vibration free... Until you add the weight of the product into the mix. Now the balance is compromised. I'm sure the machine manufacturers address this in the design, but they have to make assumptions and compromises. The basic physics associated with the machine operation preclude perfect balance under all conditions. You can't offset the mass of the backing plate and pad from the centerline of rotation and maintain perfect balance as the weight of the pad is constantly changing due to the amount of product it is retaining.

You can experiment with different backing plates and pads to minimize vibration, but you will never be able to eliminate the vibration completely for all of the varying conditions in which the machine is used.

MisterSnoop
05-14-2021, 02:42 PM
If you have an underlying health issue, you may be more prone to discomfort from using a DA. I used my G9 to do paint correction, polishing and waxing without any issue. I've also had times when I've had tendonitis and seemingly simple things have caused me pain or lower back issues that limited me. Practicing good ergonomics, stretching, taking breaks, etc can help.

PaulMys
05-14-2021, 04:37 PM
I have used just about every power tool ever made, and I do not find the G9 (or the GG6 for that matter) to be uncomfortable to use at all.

But as MisterSnoop said above, every person is different. Just because one person has no problems with a tool, that does not mean the next person will find it unpleasant to use.

If the vibration is a problem for you, you just might end up with Rupes. I have never used one, but everyone says how smooth they are.

MrOneEyedBoh
05-15-2021, 06:05 AM
I had the G9 when it came out and it had bad vibration. I spoke with Griots and the replaced it. The new one is a bit better. Either it's a luck of the draw with how much vibration each unit has or maybe they got a bit better with manufacturing?

UncleDavy
05-15-2021, 08:23 AM
I have used the PC, the GG6 and the G9 and I have noticed that the G9 has a lot less vibration and I can work a lot more comfortably with it. The G9 has a more ergonomically designed grip. Just make sure that your hands do not block the vents so the tool will not overheat.

John U
05-15-2021, 09:03 AM
I had Carpal Tunnel surgery on my right hand, tingling is a past memory.

oneheadlite
05-15-2021, 09:47 AM
I’m going to cheat and copy/paste a reply I made in a separate thread because I started thinking about it here:

With random orbital machines (probably applies to any machine) - Just like performance driving, as a user you need to check in on yourself and make sure you're not death gripping the machine. If you're locked onto it, you're transferring all that energy into yourself.

I had a friend that would get wicked arm pump when go-karting. Once we talked about it, he realized he was white knuckling the wheel the whole time. After that he loosened up and just drove and had a much better experience.

Since I don't get to run a polisher as much as I'd like (where it becomes complete second nature), I make sure to check from time to time that I'm running the machine, not unnecessarily muscling it around.

To add to that though: I also have had 2 generations of the GG6, I upgraded to a G9 when they first came out. The biggest thing I notice about the G9 is that with it’s higher power and the electronic speed control, I find myself running it at a slightly lower speed while still getting the same results. Because of this, it makes for a quieter/smoother experience than the 3rd Gen GG6 I had last. If you run both machines flat out, I’m sure they’re about the same for vibration levels and noise; but I very rarely run at 6 any more.

Paul A.
05-15-2021, 10:18 AM
I was blown away by how smooth the Rupes machines are when i tried it. I'll admit to not having any vibration discomfort with any of my machines (Hitachi rotary, PC 7336 w/5" CW and Flex 3401) but if i did i would be 100% Rupes.

oneheadlite
05-15-2021, 11:33 AM
I was blown away by how smooth the Rupes machines are when i tried it. I'll admit to not having any vibration discomfort with any of my machines (Hitachi rotary, PC 7336 w/5" CW and Flex 3401) but if i did i would be 100% Rupes.

I meant to add - I’ve not had the opportunity to try a Rupes machine, but if vibration was a real concern and budget allowed I absolutely would take a look at going that route.

If getting a Rupes, I would start by going all in on their system (that is: their pads/compounds/polishes) and really dial in your technique before moving away from that and trying other pads/etc.

One thing that comes up when people go to a long throw Rupes from a short throw machine is fighting pad stall - usually it seems it’s a matter of making sure you’re keeping the machine level and watching your pressure. Again - not a Rupes user, just a long time observer here.