PDA

View Full Version : Bought some OTC clay and paint cleaner

earl grey
04-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Ok so I have light swirl marks in my relatively new car. I bought a clay bar to do first and then some Meguiars Paint Cleaner. The bottle says itll remove light swirl marks and whatnot. Is this the stuff to get? I plan on claying, paint cleaner, klasse AIO and then high gloss sealant. Does that sound good?

94LT1
04-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Ok so I have light swirl marks in my relatively new car. I bought a clay bar to do first and then some Meguiars Paint Cleaner. The bottle says itll remove light swirl marks and whatnot. Is this the stuff to get? I plan on claying, paint cleaner, klasse AIO and then high gloss sealant. Does that sound good?
well the klasse AIO is a cleaner polish.so it would sorta be a waste of time to use the paint cleaner as well.now when u say paint cleaner do u mean meguiars cleaner wax?

earl grey
04-10-2008, 08:56 PM
well the klasse AIO is a cleaner polish.so it would sorta be a waste of time to use the paint cleaner as well.now when u say paint cleaner do u mean meguiars cleaner wax?

Its the Paint Cleaner, Step 1 in the 3 step process. There is a small bottle of the cleaner wax that came with the clay bars though.

94LT1
04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Its the Paint Cleaner, Step 1 in the 3 step process. There is a small bottle of the cleaner wax that came with the clay bars though.
ya thats to b used after claybar if u dont have any wax.i would use a different wax though.your on the right track though.wash,claybar,KAIO, then what ever wax/sealant u have as a top coat should b fine.if u have light scratches u can try like meguiars scratch x and apply it by hand after u claybar.

Surfer
04-10-2008, 10:04 PM
You talking about Megs Cleaner Wax in the little red bottle? If so, don't bother, its useless imo. The megs white clay and qd'er are awesome though. Use that, then AIO...AIO nor Cleaner Wax will remove swirls, you'll need a polish, don't confuse Klasse AIO with a polish, its just a strong chemical paint cleaner with some acrylic protection.

94LT1
04-10-2008, 10:08 PM
You talking about Megs Cleaner Wax in the little red bottle? If so, don't bother, its useless imo. The megs white clay and qd'er are awesome though. Use that, then AIO...AIO nor Cleaner Wax will remove swirls, you'll need a polish, don't confuse Klasse AIO with a polish, its just a strong chemical paint cleaner with some acrylic protection.
oops....sorry im still learning.so u would call KAIO just a paint cleaner?does it add some gloss to the paint though?

Surfer
04-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Its just a chemical paint cleaner, a great one at that, does leave some acrylic protection. It gets the paint squeeky clean and prepped about as good as can be for LSP.

earl grey
04-11-2008, 06:00 AM
Thats pretty confusing though if a polish will get the swirls out then. On the bottle for polish it didnt say anything about removing swirls where as the paint cleaner did. What do I need exactly to get light swirls out?

Jimmie
04-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Thats pretty confusing though if a polish will get the swirls out then. On the bottle for polish it didnt say anything about removing swirls where as the paint cleaner did. What do I need exactly to get light swirls out?

Yeah it is confusing because of the different uses of the term "polish". Years ago some referred to wax as polish. Some manufacturers call their chemical paint cleaners, polish. On here the most general use of polish refers to an abrasive that removes swirls and other imperfections from paint with a buffer.
I'm with Surfer on not using the cleaner wax. Cleaner waxes tend to stain trim white. +1 for wash-clay-Klasse AIO-wax. If you need to remove swirls start planning for buying a buffer.

vinnier6
04-11-2008, 11:58 AM
your going to have a hard time getting swirls out of your paint without a machine...udm/pc/flex....