PDA

View Full Version : does anyone keep a jump starter in their vehicle(s)?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

VISITOR
05-11-2021, 09:40 PM
long story short... had to take a family member to the emergency room (over 6+ hours inside) a few months ago and came out to dead battery. i have AAA but when i called (10pm on a saturday) they said it would be over an hour + for someone to come by and help, and that's after spending hours inside the ER already. you can only imagine how we felt...

luckily, the security guards had jumper cables but they do no good (at any given time) unless you have them on you, as well as having another car (if one is around) to use them with. I don't want to be stuck in that position again so i did a lot of research and came across this jump starter below (NOCO GB40). it's one of the best/top rated (the brand in general) on the market..

it has 1000 amps and is around $100. in a few years i may opt for the GB70 (2000 amps) which is overkill (and double the price at $200), but we'll see how this one does. for those who carry one (or family member), which one(s) do you have?

also, i went to harbor freight and bought a tool bag and keep both the jump starter (no more jumper cables) and (slime) air compressor (has saved me a few times already) in there together. better safe than sorry...

https://no.co/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1440x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/N/O/NOCO-GB40-Boost-Plus-Portable-Lithium-Battery-Car-Jump-Starter-Booster-Pack-For-Jump-Starting-Gas-Diesel-Main_8.jpg

1,000 Amp UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter
The GB40 is a portable lithium-ion battery jump starter pack that delivers 1,000-amps for jump starting a dead battery in seconds. It features a patented safety technology that provides spark-proof connections and reverse polarity protection making safe and easy for anyone to use. It's a powerful battery booster that doubles as a portable power source for recharging USB devices, like a smartphone, tablet and more. Designed for a car, boat, RV, truck and more with gas engines up to 6 liters, and diesel engines up to 3 liters. All Boost models can hold 70% of its rated capacity for up to one year. For optimal performance, we recommend charging the device at least every 4-6 months, after initial charge.

vobro
05-11-2021, 09:49 PM
I have the GB40, I was in a similar situation as you a few years back and felt totally helpless. I keep it under the back seat in my truck, it’s very compact. I also will throw it in my bass boat when I go out. I’ve used it twice this past winter to help a stranded driver and worked great, I charge it every 3 months in the winter ( probably overkill) and once in July

VISITOR
05-11-2021, 10:00 PM
I have the GB40, I was in a similar situation as you a few years back and felt totally helpless. I keep it under the back seat in my truck, it’s very compact. I also will throw it in my bass boat when I go out. I’ve used it twice this past winter to help a stranded driver and worked great, I charge it every 3 months in the winter ( probably overkill) and once in July

awesome, thanks for the purchase reassurance! i didn't realize NOCO has been around since 1914. i was looking at DBpower, Battery Tender, and Schumacher as well (so many brands/specs to choose from).. i'm going to have a set-up like mine (or similar) for each vehicle in the family (nephew/parents)...

vobro
05-11-2021, 10:05 PM
Lol with this sight,fishing sites,gun sites etc I’ve learned to limit my search. One thing I may suggest is to get an extra set of cables, when not plugged in they are pretty small and can get “misplaced”

VISITOR
05-11-2021, 10:11 PM
Lol with this sight,fishing sites,gun sites etc I’ve learned to limit my search. One thing I may suggest is to get an extra set of cables, when not plugged in they are pretty small and can get “misplaced”

i also have the hard case too, instead of using the cloth bag it came in. thanks for the suggestion!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71ujWPa5eEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81NVfA2LtxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2black1s
05-11-2021, 10:27 PM
I don't... But I should.

In the past I always had jumper cables available but that was many years ago. I live dangerously these days LOL.

John U
05-11-2021, 10:46 PM
Yes, I carry one. I even used it to jump the mailman’s Jeep when it stalled one day. He was amazed when the little thing started it.

fly07sti
05-11-2021, 11:48 PM
Yes sir! Just got done charging this one.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210512/cab52d3d1ccbc4f3ea9689374b8bfbad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

chet31
05-12-2021, 12:19 AM
Absolutely invaluable. Mine is the size of a deck of cards. Also can charge phones and other devices. $50 has bailed me out 3-4 times, if you include boats.

DFB
05-12-2021, 05:40 AM
I picked one up last year, just made sense to have one around considering there are a few cars in the garage. Unsurprisingly, the Jaguar was the first to need it. :laughing:

https://i.postimg.cc/dVNJDMwj/IMG-6756.jpg (https://postimg.cc/HrMqPhJr)

Bruno Soares
05-12-2021, 06:17 AM
I have jumper cables but have considered a charger like those. Project Farm has a nice comparison video on YT where he put several of them against each other.

John U
05-12-2021, 06:21 AM
FYI, Another reason to consider one. I left my lights on overnight in the garage and killed the battery. When I tried to shift it into neutral to push it out to pull the battery..... the transmission would not shift without power. I hooked up my "box", bingo the car shifted into neutral.

MisterSnoop
05-12-2021, 06:43 AM
I just have jumper cables and a slime air compressor. I also keep one of those battery terminal brushes in my car. I had a dead battery on my previous car and had trouble getting it jumped until the battery terminals were cleaned.

Good to see some positive reviews on one of these. I may put that on my Christmas wish list.

RTexasF
05-12-2021, 07:26 AM
Yep and jumper cables too. Also compressor, tools, towels, and other assorted crapola.

Lance Mark
05-12-2021, 08:33 AM
I keep the following on my bike at all times:
jump starter
first aid kit
assorted tools
tire repair kit with CO2 cartridges
bottle of water
quart of oil