PDA

View Full Version : Best Paint Prep Solution?

Pages : [1] 2

CleanIT
05-10-2021, 07:17 AM
Looking for the most effective paint prep product I can by to remove existing wax. Car is new, paint is in great shape. However, it does have an existing wax on it. There is no substituting polishing, but I'd like to find the most effective paint prep type product. Something similar or like a Griot's Paint Prep.....

Thank you

dwaleke
05-10-2021, 08:24 AM
Klean Strip Prep All

FUNX650
05-10-2021, 08:45 AM
Looking for the most effective paint prep
product I can by to remove existing wax.

IMO:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/E76B0792-D5AF-4539-8361-9EA7CE86754C.jpeg

Bob

CleanIT
05-10-2021, 08:46 AM
Thanks Bob. I'll have to look for that.

Mike Phillips
05-10-2021, 09:27 AM
There is no substituting polishing,

Agreed.

but I'd like to find the most effective paint prep type product.

While some solvents may work "effective" to remove whatever wax is on the surface, I think the marring you risk inducing isn't worth it.

What are you working on and what is the end-goal?

Are you going to switch to a different LSP?

:)

CleanIT
05-10-2021, 09:32 AM
I picked up a new vehicle and the previous owner recently used a spray sealant and a ceramic spray on top of that. I'd like to strip those and start over. That's my main goal. I haven't decided on what to use at this point.

I'd like to skip the polishing step, if possible.

Mike Phillips
05-10-2021, 09:50 AM
I picked up a new vehicle and the previous owner recently used a spray sealant and a ceramic spray on top of that. I'd like to strip those and start over. That's my main goal. I haven't decided on what to use at this point.

I'd like to skip the polishing step, if possible.

I completely understand.

If it were me? I would wash, clay and do one machine polishing step - this way not only do I know 100% everything is removed I also know I will have removed any minor paint imperfections in the process and perfectly prepared the paint for MY choice of LSP.

Wiping with some kind of solvent does not ensure 100% of any previously applied product is removed and it does risk marring the paint. Plus if there are any imperfections wiping will not remove them.

Nothing looks better than a freshly polished car.

I wish you luck.

:cheers:

CleanIT
05-10-2021, 09:51 AM
Thanks Mike! Appreciate it.

cameradude
05-10-2021, 01:50 PM
You could also try washing the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid to help strip the wax but if it were mine...I’d still polish then wipe with a prep or IPA then do your coating. That new of a car shouldnt need a decon but then again...it couldnt hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill D
05-10-2021, 02:11 PM
Valugard ABC or an Iron x product

CleanIT
05-10-2021, 02:16 PM
I've read Dawn does very little. I'm going to polish first. I don't want to half@ss it. :)

Bruno Soares
05-10-2021, 02:28 PM
You could also try washing the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid to help strip the wax but if it were mine...I’d still polish then wipe with a prep or IPA then do your coating. That new of a car shouldnt need a decon but then again...it couldnt hurt.

That myth has been busted. Dawn does not strip any decent wax/sealant. What it does is leave a film on the paint that masks the effect of the protection you're trying to remove. Then you think it did what you wanted but not only is the protection still there, it now also has that film on top that will make it even harder for any protection you want to add to the paint to adhere properly. Dawn is made for dishes, not cars. Keep it away from the garage.

cameradude
05-10-2021, 02:32 PM
That myth has been busted. Dawn does not strip any decent wax/sealant. What it does is leave a film on the paint that masks the effect of the protection you're trying to remove. Then you think it did what you wanted but not only is the protection still there, it now also has that film on top that will make it even harder for any protection you want to add to the paint to adhere properly. Dawn is made for dishes, not cars. Keep it away from the garage.

...it may have a crappy wax/sealant[emoji38][emoji38]
Plus if you gonna decon and polish anyway, then wipe down...dont think there’s gonna be any trace of Dawn left.

The Guz
05-10-2021, 03:40 PM
What are you planning to apply?

CleanIT
05-10-2021, 04:20 PM
What are you planning to apply?

Most likely Griot's 3 in 1. Or TWSNS.