PDA

View Full Version : AIO Detailing Help/Advice - Please!

Pages : [1] 2

Jman136
05-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2021 Acura Aspec Apex Blue RDX. I want to use an AIO to shine it up and remove some of the fine swirl marks. I don't have a DA, so I will be attempting this by hand. Can anyone recommend the most user friendly AIO they've used with some success? I know this won't be as good as a 3- step polish, but it will be better than nothing. Any thoughts, advice, and/or help would be greatly appreciated!

Last, I have a bottle of Meguiars D166. Should I give it a whirl with a yellow Megs foam pad?

Thanks all!

dwaleke
05-08-2021, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure how much success you'll have with working by hand.

I'm not familiar with the paint hardness of your car. Sometimes its difficult enough to get results with a basic DA polisher and an AIO let alone by hand.

3D Speed and Blackfire 1-step are popular AIOs on the forum. Lots of fans.

Since you have D166 use it on a test spot and see what you can make happen.

glen e
05-08-2021, 08:17 PM
If this is a 2021 car it shouldn’t need too much work.D166 is fine, but I would probably do it twice to see if that gets it.. Also you probably would have better luck with something like Blackfire one step which is a favorite here.

That being said you’re going to be miles ahead if you to get an orbital like a Griots G9 but you said you don’t want to buy a polisher which I completely understand.

PaulMys
05-08-2021, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure how much success you'll have with working by hand.

I'm not familiar with the paint hardness of your car. Sometimes its difficult enough to get results with a basic DA polisher and an AIO let alone by hand.

3D Speed and Blackfire 1-step are popular AIOs on the forum. Lots of fans.

Since you have D166 use it on a test spot and see what you can make happen.

These two products can both be hand-applied, but the results will be sorely lacking compared to using a machine.

Jman136
05-08-2021, 08:29 PM
Just placed an order for Blackfire AIO. I really hope that this will make a difference.

glen e
05-08-2021, 08:50 PM
Good, if this doesn’t work , what it is pointing you to is a medium pad, a Griots G9 and the blackfire one step. I have detailed a new 20 MDX, it was not unusually hard paint, so multiple passes by hand or an orbital will do the job with the right product.

Jman136
05-08-2021, 08:53 PM
Good, if this doesn’t work , what it is pointing you to is a medium pad, Griots G9 and the blackfire one step.

Yep, I may have to invest in a DA.

Jayfro
05-08-2021, 08:53 PM
You will be very happy with BF One Step, this is all I use on my black Acura TLX... Generally speaking, Acura’s have soft paint and do not need a compound and polish to correct anything minor, just a good polish or all in one.

Jay https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210509/35f3c4350a1a4cd765dc5690b87bc9fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Jman136
05-08-2021, 09:20 PM
Jayfro - Did you apply the BF AIO by hand or with a DA to your black TLX?

VISITOR
05-08-2021, 09:54 PM
Yep, I may have to invest in a DA.

trust me, this will be one of your best investments (worth every penny) and your hands & arms will thank you later...

Jayfro
05-08-2021, 10:27 PM
Used a DA...I would definitely suggest using a DA. If you do go that route, I would recommend getting LC White and Orange foam pads.

All I use now for maintaining are the white pads with either BF One Step or Pinnacle Polish.

I’m actually due for a light polish in the coming month or two, I’m just trying to decide what I’m going to lay down afterwards, either Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant or 303 Graphene...then a high quality wax such as DoDo Juice, Gyeon Wax, Fuzion wax, or TBD!!!

Right now the car has Wolfgang, 303 Graphene, and DoDo Juice Blue Velvet...a smorgasbord of stuff on it...and it looks great but it needs a little correction work.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

dgage
05-08-2021, 10:38 PM
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned about working by hand is the inconsistency. You’re going to get inconsistent results around the car and also potentially uneven removal of clear coat. Neither of these may be an issue but over time it could be. Using a polisher will give you better consistency and likely result in less clear coat removed (if doing it right) than doing it by hand in some areas.

Paul A.
05-09-2021, 06:10 AM
I agree with machines being exponentially better than hand however, in the case of cleaner waxes/sealants, you'll still get the LSP aspect by hand.

Working abrasives in AIO's by hand is another story but on a new car you may not need the light abrasives to work that much anyway. (Hopefully).

My favorite remains HD Speed although BF gets RAVE reviews also.

Favorite pads on my 20 yr old PC 7336 are absolutely the LC Thin Pro flats, orange and white (6 each). If your paint is as soft as mentioned above, maybe 3 blacks thrown in too.

I would suggest you try the BF now by hand. You can always get an inexpensive DA and some pads later and use the same bottle of AIO you already have.

DetailZeus
05-09-2021, 01:33 PM
Just my personal opinion but I wouldn't waste my time trying to remove swirls without a machine.

98CayenneTA
05-09-2021, 01:38 PM
Just my personal opinion but I wouldn't waste my time trying to remove swirls without a machine.

Same, working by hand like that is silly imo