PDA

View Full Version : #&$#@& high spots in coating

Pages : [1] 2 3

Texchappy
05-08-2021, 05:59 PM
It’s been a week since I applied CQUARTZ Lite to the driver side of my wife’s SUV. When I put it on, I went over it with a light. I took care of the one high spot I saw. I’ve looked it over inside again and when it’s been in direct sun. Didn’t see a darned thing. Today, when it was out in the sun, I noticed three rainbow sections. They’re not huge but large enough I would have seen them ove the last seven days sometime. Is it normal for them to show up sometime later?

My plan is to go over them with a light ccs hand pad and Mezerna SF4000 gently to lowering the appearance of them? If that doesn’t work then I’ll probably leave them. If I have to polish the whole panels again that might be it for me and coatings. I just don’t have the energy.

I will make sure, if I do this again, that I’ll make sure I can pull in my shop where the lights are much brighter. I made the most of every work light, hand light, and overhead light I could but there we’re definitely shadows.

Texchappy
05-08-2021, 06:01 PM
The funny thing is that all three areas are in the area of the car I took the photo of to show what I’d done...

glen e
05-08-2021, 06:07 PM
You’re experiencing why I gave up coatings, I always had at least one spot or two spots but I couldn’t correct and/or I didn’t wanna bother with. That, and water spots.I’m back to ceramic sprays and very happy.

Bill D
05-08-2021, 06:12 PM
Yep, this is one of the main reasons why I don't do coatings at all.

fly07sti
05-08-2021, 06:53 PM
I’d suggest using something like Essence by hand to remove it or lighten the high spots. Residue easily transfers to random area if not wiped methodically and your towels aren’t changed out enough.
I’m not sure what your leveling process was but here’s how I level coatings. First wipe is with a low knap towel followed by a plush towel. I flip towels frequently as well. When one side is done, I use another fresh towel to back over the entire side before I proceed.

Dan Tran
05-08-2021, 06:59 PM
It’s been a week since I applied CQUARTZ Lite to the driver side of my wife’s SUV. When I put it on, I went over it with a light. I took care of the one high spot I saw. I’ve looked it over inside again and when it’s been in direct sun. Didn’t see a darned thing. Today, when it was out in the sun, I noticed three rainbow sections. They’re not huge but large enough I would have seen them ove the last seven days sometime. Is it normal for them to show up sometime later?

My plan is to go over them with a light ccs hand pad and Mezerna SF4000 gently to lowering the appearance of them? If that doesn’t work then I’ll probably leave them. If I have to polish the whole panels again that might be it for me and coatings. I just don’t have the energy.

I will make sure, if I do this again, that I’ll make sure I can pull in my shop where the lights are much brighter. I made the most of every work light, hand light, and overhead light I could but there we’re definitely shadows.

When it comes to ceramic coatings, it is all about checking for high spots in the right type of lighting. The wrong lighting can wash it out. So it’s not the high spots that decided to show up at a later time. It’s just a matter of making sure to have the proper process and scenario to install coatings.

It happens to the best of us. Unfortunately, my recommendation is to polish the entire panel to redo it—should you decide to go down that route. Otherwise, it will leave an uneven look if you spot buff it.

Texchappy
05-08-2021, 07:03 PM
I’d suggest using something like Essence by hand to remove it or lighten the high spots. Residue easily transfers to random area if not wiped methodically and your towels aren’t changed out enough.
I’m not sure what your leveling process was but here’s how I level coatings. First wipe is with a low knap towel followed by a plush towel. I flip towels frequently as well. When one side is done, I use another fresh towel to back over the entire side before I proceed.

That’s similar to what I did. Used the towel that came in the kit to go over it once, turning it over after going over the whole section I’d just done and going back over it. Then a higher nap towel to go over every two sections done. After doing this side I went to using one towel but smaller sections done at a time.

Texchappy
05-08-2021, 07:04 PM
When it comes to ceramic coatings, it is all about checking for high spots in the right type of lighting. The wrong lighting can wash it out. So it’s not the high spots that decided to show up at a later time. It’s just a matter of making sure to have the proper process and scenario to install coatings.

It happens to the best of us. Unfortunately, my recommendation is to polish the entire panel to redo it—should you decide to go down that route. Otherwise, it will leave an uneven look if you spot buff it.
Guess the rest of the product is going on the trash.

vobro
05-08-2021, 07:56 PM
With your second application you said in your initial coating review post that you just used one towel for removal. The idea behind using multiple towels on taking off the coating is that your initial wipe actually spreads the product and this is usually where high spots occur, if you “push” the coating onto a panel you’ve done already it likely to go unnoticed. When using just one towel it doesn’t take long to get clogged up with the coating and then at that point you’re just smearing the product around.

Sorry you’re having issues

Texchappy
05-08-2021, 08:05 PM
With your second application you said in your initial coating review post that you just used one towel for removal. The idea behind using multiple towels on taking off the coating is that your initial wipe actually spreads the product and this is usually where high spots occur, if you “push” the coating onto a panel you’ve done already it likely to go unnoticed. When using just one towel it doesn’t take long to get clogged up with the coating and then at that point you’re just smearing the product around.

Sorry you’re having issues

But the sections in question were done with two towels and three passes - short nap from kit, the the same towel turned over, then a longer nap towel.

TMQ
05-08-2021, 08:13 PM
I've done probably about 15 coatings to date.

In each and every coating I've done, always have at least one high spot! Always!

Drive me nuts!

Tom

psnt1ol
05-08-2021, 08:24 PM

I normally apply coating indoor vs outdoor. I use low nap towels as well but with a twist. I have them in different colors. Blue for initial removal, green for second wipe, and I follow up with a plush towel for final wipe. Just like pads... I switch to new towels every panel or two. To inspect for high spots, I find fluorescent light source to be better at detecting them. As you go over the area with a light source... you really have to look at it from many different angles by moving your head every which way.

The best way for me is to get some young eyes to help. Young eyes for some reason often can spot things I dont see. LOL Seriously... having a partner who was not involved in the process to go over the vehicle really helps.

Markymapo
05-08-2021, 09:06 PM
I will continue to do coatings on my cars that are light colored so you can’t see my 1 or 2 highspots. But the F150 truck was a royal pain to coat, massive panels. Back to a couple coats of Colinite next time, less headaches

The Guz
05-08-2021, 11:44 PM
Folks need to relax. A high spot is not the end of the world. They are to be expected especially when first applying. They are easy to fix. A medium cut polish is more than enough and simply recoat the area. The reason it is recommended to do the whole panel is that spot correction has the potential to appear darker in that area.

Again an easy fix that is blown out of proportion.

Lighting is key, preferably diffused lighting. Multiple towels are also important.

Markymapo
05-09-2021, 08:56 AM
I do like the way ceramic coatings protect from bird bombs, non of my non ceramic coatings even come close for bird bomb protection.i do all my coatings indoor with controlled lighting.