PDA

View Full Version : Denim Black

FairladyZ
04-10-2008, 01:46 PM
I've got a H-D Night Rod Special with the Denim Black stripes.
My dillema is...how do I wax this thing. It's been hibernating all winter in the garage and I'm itching to clean it up. Should I tape off the matte stripes in order to wax? Has anyone else encountered matte finish paints before?

richy
04-10-2008, 02:16 PM
We were talking about that very thing on another board. If you wax it, you will introduce some shine to the matte finish, I would think...same goes for polishing. What a bloody stupid idea that is!!! I would just wash and perhaps forgo wax; or as the old disclaimer goes: try in an inconspicuous spot 1st.

FairladyZ
04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
haha I love that 'inconspicuous spot' disclamer. There's no such thing to me! I know it's there, and it would irritate the crap out of me knowing I had in imperfection should it turn out wrong.
That's what I did last year, just gave it a good wash. It's a damn slick bike and I'd hate ruin the matte finish.

ScottB
04-10-2008, 04:37 PM
I want to order a gloss black 2009 Camaro with matte black racing stripes. Custom forged wheels with black inserts and chrome barrels only. Unfortunately these combo's wont work on the CTS-V and wife is leaning towards this for "family" travel. I too wondered about the stripes even if custom painted.

FairladyZ
04-11-2008, 08:03 AM
That paint scheme would be bada--. You'd have to pry my cold dead body out of it...maybe even cut me open to get the keys back hehehe
My b/f is going to order it in yellow and black to match our '69. I think he wants to wait for the 2010 model line up.
Not only is the Denim Black a matte finish, but it also has a texture to it as well. So you can see the problem. I'm thinking I may just have to go down to Harley (oh please don't twist my arm!) and ask them.

king air pilot
04-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I sell Harly davidsons for a living here in MI. HD memo states to wash the bike using soap and water or windex ONLY otherwise you will ruin the finish. So, that is what I suggest nothing more. It is a teflon based paint and requires no maintenance other than cleaning.

A friend of mine had a nieigbor that got a FLHX with the denim finish his wife thought she would do him a favor while he was at work and waxed it. It came out very splotchy and ruined the finish.

I bet I am the first on the forum to say use windex to clean the paint :D.

Ride Safely
Cheers
Mike

FairladyZ
04-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Ouch.. bet he's not too happy about that.

Thanks Mike, water and windex it is!

JC PAINT WORKZ
08-17-2009, 09:53 PM
with that matte finish you do not want to add any type of wax or polish to it. just use a glass cleaner IMHO invisible glass or something that is ammonia free to wipe it down. i would not use anything else...

ICEMAN
08-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Original Bike Spirits bike polish... on the entire bike!! DO NOT USE WINDEX on windshields or helmet visors...

duckyboy1975
08-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Yep just use some water and windex and you'll be good to go!