PDA

View Full Version : 1St real detail help!!

dannyballs
04-10-2008, 10:36 AM
ok so im going to do my first real detail on my 05 black s500 tonight.Here are my steps..

1. wash with poorboys super slick using a chenille wash mitt. dry with micro towels

2.clay with mq spray detail and clay

3. Polish with pb ssr1 using the port 7424 and a 6.5 white polishing pad.

4.Wax with PB blue wax using 6.5 gray finishing pad.

5.Finishing off with PB Quick wax.

Than on to the interior wich i have a good idea how to do. How does this look? thanks alot

MoBenzOwner
04-10-2008, 10:53 AM
First off let me say I am not a pro, this is however my opinion. If the paint is relatively swirl free then the PB SSR1 should do a fine job to "jewel" the paint and enhance shine but probably wont remove anything but very minor imperfections with a white pad. But, if all the car has is minor imperfections then it should work great. When you say PB blue wax are you referring to Natty's blue or the PB polish with carnauba blue? I have actually used the PB polish with carnauba blue and liked it a great deal on black and other dark colors. Actually either should look great on this vehicle, with the Natty's giving a bit more durability. I think you have a great plan in place and bet the car comes out very nice.
Kevin

GeorgiaHybrid
04-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Danny,

Have you thought of using a sealant (WG deep gloss is my favorite), let it cure for a day and then add one or two coats of Natty Blue on top? You can skip the Quick wax that way.

You might be surprised at the look.

Another item is the wash mitt. I use a sheepskin, some prefer a boar's hair brush. Either way, make sure that you keep that mitt clean or you will be polishing again very soon. Use two buckets and keep the water clean.

Other than that, I can't think of anything. It should look great when done.

Nuke33
04-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Just a few things I noted
- you don't have to dry the car before you clay... just go right into claying then when you are done claying I would wash the car again to make sure everything is off, then dry.
- I dont know how bad your swirls are but i don't think PB SSR1 will have enough cut, if you are trying to do any paint correction I would use a stronger product on the polishing pad but your best bet will be to start out with a orange LC cutting pad and then change the product according to your needs... Remember use the lest aggressive product you can get away with.
- Remember to use steady pressure, slow overlapping passes and make sure you break the polish down fully, and if you have to use a heavy cut product you will need to do a pass with something with less cut to get rid of hazing or micro-marring.
- The wax sounds like a good pick, I would do 2 applications of the wax to ensure even coverage... Just wait for one to haze buff off and so another, I would also skip the spray wax for now and use that after your next was to bring back some shine!
- don't forget to have fun take your time and post some pictures!

dannyballs
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Well my car doesnt have any real bad scratches. Just very little swirls from perv owner taking it to the car wash.I also have Poorboys Polish with Carnauba B. would that be better for what im doing? Also so wash, rinse, clay wash and than dry?Thats mush easier.