PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire Pro Ceramic Coating, "Black Edition".

Pages : [1] 2

TMQ
04-30-2021, 02:37 PM
Hi all,

I'm not too sure if I like this coating. Just completed the first wash and duh....

As I washed the car, I could see the water spots and lots of dirt etching already! But when it dries---the spots and etchings disappear.

Not sure if it is my imagination or what, it looks like the Black Edition is a few notches down on the glassy look than the 2 year coating.

It also attracts dirt easily and doesn't self clean as well either.

I seems that the original Blackfire Pro Ceramic coating looks and works better than this Black Edition.

Are you finding this to be about right or am I nuts?

Tom

The Guz
04-30-2021, 03:46 PM
Is this on a personal car or customer's car? How has it been maintained prior to this wash?

TMQ
04-30-2021, 04:08 PM
Is this on a personal car or customer's car? How has it been maintained prior to this wash?

My car....

Done the 2 year coating and now the 5 year coating.

Wasn't washed for about 3 weeks....

Tom

TMQ
04-30-2021, 04:14 PM
This...

2014 Lexus GS 359 (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/128988-2014-lexus-gs-359-a.html)

Tom

TMQ
04-30-2021, 04:23 PM
Just thinking out loud here...

Maybe I did not get enough of a cut during polishing phase to remove underlying water spots and etchings.

But this probably bugs me more than anything....dirt, pollen and light film sticks to car and the rain doesn't even remove it. No shedding effects.

Tom

The Guz
04-30-2021, 06:21 PM
Wasn't washed for about 3 weeks....

This probably doesn't help. The spots and etchings could be caused from the dirt reacting with any water (dew, rain) from sitting on the surface for weeks without a wash.

Just thinking out loud here...

Maybe I did not get enough of a cut during polishing phase to remove underlying water spots and etchings.

But this probably bugs me more than anything....dirt, pollen and light film sticks to car and the rain doesn't even remove it. No shedding effects.

Tom

I went through your thread and saw that you used Blackfire primer which has no abrasives. So any cut was coming from the pad. So you are right they could have still been there. Could be the coating just needs a strong wash to restore its performance after having dirt sitting on it for weeks.

TMQ
04-30-2021, 06:24 PM
This probably doesn't help. The spots and etchings could be caused from the dirt reacting with any water (dew, rain) from sitting on the surface for weeks without a wash.

I went through your thread and saw that you used Blackfire primer which has no abrasives. So any cut was coming from the pad. So you are right they could have still been there. Could be the coating just needs a strong wash to restore its performance after having dirt sitting on it for weeks.

Thanks Guz....

Tom

acuRAS82
04-30-2021, 10:31 PM
Guz is the man.

Keep us updated, Tom.

TMQ
05-01-2021, 11:54 AM
Guz is the man.

Keep us updated, Tom.

I agree!!!

Tom

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
05-04-2021, 03:58 PM
Tom, I applied two coats of this coating to a customers car and during his maintence washes he tops with the Hybrid Solutions 3 in 1 Ceramic Detailer as a waterless wash.

He was disappointed with the lack of water beading that the coating provides, but I did let him know that it is a water sheeting coating.

He let me know that it did have a good sheeting effect.

The attached picture is after one night of rain. Only a few days after the coating was applied.

I used Sonax Perfect finish to polish the car and panel wiped it twice before application.

I applied two coats of the coating.

My customer said he had to pressure wash it twice and even after that there were still water spots and contaminants on the car which were removed with the waterless wash process.

Here's a video of the properties of the coating topped with the Hybrid Solutions 3 in one Ceramic Detailer when he came back for a maintence wash.

AutoClean - Look at how the water beads up and just falls... | Facebook (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=233589811894730&id=100057311385589&sfnsn=mo)

I was thinking I'd apply the BF Black Edition to my Jeep and observe it further with no toppers before I apply it to any more of my customers cars.

I feel like we are seeing the properties of the Ceramic 3 in 1 Detailer in the video.

Also my we have very acidic bird droppings around here and there was already a spot where he says he removed the bird dropping promptly but it still etched into the coating and possibly the paint.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210504/ab2525bf2200074b1063de2ee6d2791b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

TMQ
05-04-2021, 05:59 PM
Thanks for posting...

I just washed my car today!!! That is after a couple of days!!! Dirt cling on, nothing coming off and after 2 washes---fine scratches are showing up.

I am not feeling this product at all. Something isn't right.

Stopping all Blackfire coatings for customers at this point.

Looking into coatings as of this writing.

Tom

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
05-04-2021, 06:02 PM
Thanks for posting...

I just washed my car today!!! That is after a couple of days!!! Dirt cling on, nothing coming off and after 2 washes---fine scratches are showing up.

TomLet me know what you find.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

The Guz
05-04-2021, 10:35 PM
Thanks for posting...

Tom

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with this coating. Had to go back and read through your original thread and I pointed out that the Blackfire primer is not abrasive. So is it possible that the defects were not removed and likely filled and they are now starting to show.

The other thing is that it is a Lexus which has soft paint. A coating on soft paint helps but it will still scratch/marr. I am a believer that the coating takes on the characteristic of the paint hardness/softness. Still a good option for soft paints.

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
05-04-2021, 11:51 PM
[

TMQ
05-05-2021, 07:13 PM
Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with this coating. Had to go back and read through your original thread and I pointed out that the Blackfire primer is not abrasive. So is it possible that the defects were not removed and likely filled and they are now starting to show.

The other thing is that it is a Lexus which has soft paint. A coating on soft paint helps but it will still scratch/marr. I am a believer that the coating takes on the characteristic of the paint hardness/softness. Still a good option for soft paints.

Agree re scratches on Lexus.

Everything is fine re ceramic. The issue is, it is not self cleaning and water run off is tick slow.

Rather than having a dirty, clean car, I'm having a dirty, dirty car just like all the regular cars on road.

Had much greater results with the 2 year ceramic. With this one--scratches a tad more but dirt doesn't stick as easily.

Tom