PDA

View Full Version : Griots G9: Griots 5" backing plate vs the one Autogeek includes (yellow one)

alkemyst
04-28-2021, 06:38 PM
I bought the G9 BlackFire One Step kit. It includes a 5" yellow backing plate they say is what BMW and MB says is the best ever.

However; the Griot's 5" backing plate has vents for cooling. The 5" yellow feels very similar to my 6" Griot's plate.

Should I just buy the Griots?

Thanks

Å

Bruno Soares
04-28-2021, 06:46 PM
Griot’s says to use their vented pad to help cooking the pad and it’s designed to carry airflow through it. The other would work but probably suffer more with heat buildup than the vented pad.

VISITOR
04-28-2021, 07:42 PM
the GG 5" backing plate is weighted and tuned to the machine. also, it has the vents/holes (heat management system) to help aid in cooling to extend pad life. IMO it's worth it...

alkemyst
04-28-2021, 09:02 PM
i bought the plate and pad kit from Griots and some crinkle glass towels to get rid of shipping costs.

Desertnate
04-29-2021, 10:55 AM
I haven't compared the two backing plates on the same polisher, but I have used the yellow AG backing plate on my old polisher and the Griots one on my G15. Both are 5".

The G15 backing plate runs considerably cooler than the yellow unvented one. Using the same rotational interval for pads, I could feel some warmth on the back of pads when using the yellow plate, while the pads attached to the Griots backing plate were essentially room temperature.

Icarus
04-29-2021, 09:54 PM
When I first got my G9 I used the vented backing plate and still cooked a pad lol, oops, and I wasn't going overboard on speed or pressure, just to much product and lil to much time on a section till I learned... Used it with a yellow 5" one for glass, but not with any foam pads yet...