PDA

View Full Version : 2019 F150 Summer Correction Old School Wax VS Graphene

627PCFan
04-28-2021, 09:09 AM
I hoping for some advice from you guys on my Black 2019 F150. It is kept outside but washed and maintained regularly. Protection since I bought it in March 2020 has been with Collonite 845 in the summer and 845 topped with 476S in the winter. The truck sat on the lot for 7 months before I bought it so it has some light swirls from the dealership, maybe a 1.5-2.5 out of 10, not bad and definitely not worth burning away clear coat. I plan on doing either a 1 step with 3D One or a light 2-step with Menzerna 2500 and 3500SF depending on what works best with the paint. With all the work put in, I'm a black gloss guy. Question 1 How does Graphene (the real kits, not the spray bottles) or Ceramic compare to the gloss that you get from a wax? Question 2 does the water spotting/etching problems still exist with graphene/ceramics? I don't want to be put in the position where I'm polishing every 2 years to get rid of them and it is not a problem with collonites. I recently moved from VA to Maine so winter road conditions are the main cause for possibly changing protection methods.

The Guz
04-28-2021, 09:48 AM
Question 1 How does Graphene (the real kits, not the spray bottles) or Ceramic compare to the gloss that you get from a wax?

Gloss comes from polishing. Depending on the color a true coating will give more of a glassy appearance.

Question 2 does the water spotting/etching problems still exist with graphene/ceramics?

Yes the potential is there for both. Don't let this deter you from trying a coating. Most vehicles will need a good polishing in that 2 year time frame anyway for other defects.