PDA

View Full Version : How to correct?

Texchappy
04-28-2021, 02:04 AM
Had this ‘stain’ (?) that obviously from windshield washer fluid since I got my car. Tried claying it soon after but with no joy. Suggestions?

2black1s
04-28-2021, 02:20 AM
Looks like it could possibly be an etching? Maybe from the alcohol content of the washer fluid. Could also be from a runny bird dropping.

Can you see if it's etched into the clear?

If so, it's probably too risky to try to remove it completely but the process I'd use would be a compound by hand or a 1-inch rotary as far as I dared. The reason I say by hand (or small rotary) is to keep the compounding isolated to just that area better than you could with a larger polisher.

Texchappy
04-28-2021, 10:53 AM
Looks like it could possibly be an etching? Maybe from the alcohol content of the washer fluid. Could also be from a runny bird dropping.

Can you see if it's etched into the clear?

If so, it's probably too risky to try to remove it completely but the process I'd use would be a compound by hand or a 1-inch rotary as far as I dared. The reason I say by hand (or small rotary) is to keep the compounding isolated to just that area better than you could with a larger polisher.

I have set of (sonax I believe) hand polishing pads. Sounds like a good excuse to get a iBrid Nano.

I’ll check to see if I can feel any etching. IIRC, when I’ve run my fingers over it before I haven’t felt any. There is some paste wax over it now that I’ll strip off.

Texchappy
04-28-2021, 01:48 PM
Bad news: definitely etched. Good news: reduced the appearance of it.

I hit it with Wolf’s medium cut on a ccs correcting orange hand pad then the medium cut on a Griots Orange correcting pad on my new G9 and then Mezerna SF4000 on Griot’s black pad.

Guessing adding a little touch up clear wouldn’t do anything good to it.

2black1s
04-28-2021, 02:00 PM
I can absolutely guarantee that if you try to add clear you will wish you didn't. You're probably at the limits of what can be done with the polishing you've done.

WhiteShadow89
04-28-2021, 02:01 PM
Yea it looks like something in your windshield washer fluid that etched/stained in some intense sunlight. A less likely scenario could be something that dripped onto your car (example from a parking garage ceiling) and that is where it landed, but I have seen it happen. I generally like to start less aggressive and work my way up if needed to save my clear as much as possible. If it were me I would try the following in order:
1. Cleaner wax: While not a guarantee to remove your mark, I have had success using Zymol cleaner wax to remove some funky stains/marks that other light polishes would not do anything too. If you are willing to try it/already own a cleaner wax then I would start here and give it a couple passes by hand to see how your are progressing.
2. Compound by hand: If the cleaner wax is doing nothing I jump to compounding. If you have different levels of aggression in your hand pads start lighter and work your way up in aggression as needed.
3. Compound by DA: Using a DA polisher with the smallest diameter pad you own. The Rupes iBird nano could be a good choice here if you wanted to invest as it is as small is you are going to get while maintaining some corrective power.

If your car is clean you could try an APC and agitate with a buffing towel to see if that does anything, but I really don't think an APC or watersport remover would do much of anything here.

Good luck and let us know how everything works out.

dwaleke
04-28-2021, 03:02 PM
Pop out the washer nozzle from the hood so you can work on the spot without have to work around it.

Texchappy
04-28-2021, 03:11 PM
Pop out the washer nozzle from the hood so you can work on the spot without have to work around it.

I may do that when I do a full correction later.