PDA

View Full Version : Product advice on replacing Opti-Seal & OCW routine

AMarkham40
04-27-2021, 08:42 PM
I've been using the same routine for over 10 years now. Optimum Opti-Seal once a year (after a decontamination & light polish with 3D One) & Optimum Car Wax after every wash (excellent UV protection is a must). Vehicles still look new.

I'm starting to get bored with the current products I'm using & I'm wondering if I should change it up. I would rather stick to the same routine I currently use but I was wondering if there were any other products out there that could improve on the slickness & durability of the Opti-Seal & OCW combo I'm currently using & still provide excellent UV protection.

I am not interested in the ceramic/graphene coatings that come in the tiny bottles & last for years. I enjoy breaking out my polisher once a year & those products would take that away from me.

glen e
04-27-2021, 08:47 PM
I used optiseal for years, and ocw….I would say a good combination would be car pro ech20 as a rinseless wash, car Pro essence Xtreme Gloss enhancer as a polish, and car pro reload as a sealant.

Also as a sealant I would add 303 Graphene spray, that’s not a coating, it’s just a spray on like optiseal.

Texchappy
04-27-2021, 08:53 PM
Maybe griot’s 3in1 ceramic to replace the optiseal and ceramic speed shine as a drying aid. Following the same procedure you’ve been using, there are probably 100’s of products that could fit the bill. Many would equal and a few would probably exceed the durability.

AMarkham40
04-27-2021, 09:41 PM
Maybe griot’s 3in1 ceramic to replace the optiseal and ceramic speed shine as a drying aid. Following the same procedure you’ve been using, there are probably 100’s of products that could fit the bill. Many would equal and a few would probably exceed the durability.

Well, the one issue I run into is finding products that mention UV protection properties. Optimum seems to be the leader in this category with OCW. I rarely see other products even mention UV protection. They all seem to focus on beading & glossiness. I was looking hard at Griot's 3-1 which has UV protection but when I emailed them about Ceramic Speed Shine (to use after every wash) they said it didn't contain any. I doubt the UV protection in 3-1 will last a full year to keep with my current routine.

The Guz
04-28-2021, 01:00 AM
I've been using the same routine for over 10 years now. Optimum Opti-Seal once a year (after a decontamination & light polish with 3D One) & Optimum Car Wax after every wash (excellent UV protection is a must). Vehicles still look new.

I'm starting to get bored with the current products I'm using & I'm wondering if I should change it up. I would rather stick to the same routine I currently use but I was wondering if there were any other products out there that could improve on the slickness & durability of the Opti-Seal & OCW combo I'm currently using & still provide excellent UV protection.

What's the old saying if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

I am not interested in the ceramic/graphene coatings that come in the tiny bottles & last for years. I enjoy breaking out my polisher once a year & those products would take that away from me.

Lite coatings won't take you away from this. Essentially on average about 1 year coatings.

Dr Oldz
04-28-2021, 01:36 AM
Honestly OCW is tough to beat, especially for UV protection. If you are happy with your current system, stay with it.

Prange
04-28-2021, 07:16 AM
Not too many things easier to use than Opti-Seal and OCW.

FUNX650
04-28-2021, 02:22 PM
Bored with the Opti-Seal/OCW routine...
then up for your consideration are my
suggestions for their replacements:

•Ultima Paint Guard Plus
-The original wipe-on/walk-away (WOWA)

•Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax
-Says that along with providing protection
from UV rays, it also provides protection
from many other contaminants as well.

{In acronym “verbage”: UPGP/UASW}

Bob

obguam
04-30-2021, 06:10 AM
I loved Opti products. Switched to Blackfire One Step to clean and lightly polish then BF SiO2 Spray Sealant. Durability is 3 to 6 months depending on conditions. BF wash & wax in between for incredible shine.

PearTree
04-30-2021, 07:54 AM
I know you stated you aren’t interested in coatings, but a coating lite product such as cquartz lite and gyeon cancoat are very simple wipe on wipe off coatings that easily last a year. And if you want some type of drying aid after washing you could use carpro elixir or something like beadmaker over top.

I also didn’t want to jump into the coating world and resisted for a long time. I was a fk1000p with ocw after wash guy for a long time. But the ease of use and increased durability/uv/self cleaning of a coating lite product has changed me to where they are all I use now. Plus you can coat the trim/windows at the same time.

AMarkham40
04-30-2021, 11:54 AM
I know you stated you aren’t interested in coatings, but a coating lite product such as cquartz lite and gyeon cancoat are very simple wipe on wipe off coatings that easily last a year. And if you want some type of drying aid after washing you could use carpro elixir or something like beadmaker over top.

I also didn’t want to jump into the coating world and resisted for a long time. I was a fk1000p with ocw after wash guy for a long time. But the ease of use and increased durability/uv/self cleaning of a coating lite product has changed me to where they are all I use now. Plus you can coat the trim/windows at the same time.

I've actually been leaning toward PBL Surface Coating. It states 3 years protection but from what I've read I can expect one year on a daily driver. I thought about maintaining it with Blackfire Coating Booster after a wash.

Rsurfer
04-30-2021, 12:07 PM
I've actually been leaning toward PBL Surface Coating. It states 3 years protection but from what I've read I can expect one year on a daily driver. I thought about maintaining it with Blackfire Coating Booster after a wash.
Ha, Ha, few days on this board and we got you to change your mind on coatings, lite coatings for now.

Stay here a little longer and we'll have you coating your wheels and glass.:xyxthumbs:

AMarkham40
04-30-2021, 12:25 PM
Ha, Ha, few days on this board and we got you to change your mind on coatings, lite coatings for now.

Stay here a little longer and we'll have you coating your wheels and glass.:xyxthumbs:

I'm already sold on wheel coatings. I've been using PBL Wheel Coating for over 5 years now. Good stuff!

PearTree
04-30-2021, 12:29 PM

I have no experience with either of those products, but I would go with at least 50ml so you can coat the glass and trim as well. I haven’t found coating boosters are needed even for the lite products to last a year. I believe Guz is one who doesn’t use toppers and can attest to these products lasting.

dgage
04-30-2021, 12:56 PM

No way that gets 3 years of protection unless it is on a show car that is kept in a mausoleum type garage. It is a good product and I bought it to start using this year for my wife and kid's cars but a spray on coating generally won't last even a year for a daily driver kept outside. Gyeon CanCoat and CQuartz Lite are comparable coatings but not sure yet how PBL Surface Coating stacks up. Also, I'm using PBL Paint Coating under the Surface Coating so not sure how that would sway things though I'd expect to get a solid year from the combo though I will likely be adding PBL Surface Coating again in 6 months after a decon wash.

And that's a good point, use the PBL Surface Coating more often and you won't even have to worry about longevity, which is the absolute best plan. I will do a decon wash (iron, strong auto shampoo) before adding a new layer.

EDIT: And I hate to say it but not sure the PBL Surface Coating is potentially worth it considering it MIGHT be comparable to Gyeon CanCoat. I'd potentially sway you towards that as a better value and more widely proven product based on user feedback. And I say that having owned both as I used CanCoat last year but don't have enough time with PBL Surface Coating this year to speak to longevity. But for twice the price of CanCoat, not sure there is a big enough difference.