PDA

View Full Version : Military Marker

waddell64
04-24-2021, 03:25 PM
Hi all - below is an image of the military marker for my Grandfather. I think it is made of bronze. I’ve noticed over the years, it has become dull and dingy looking compared to other markers in the cemetery. My theory is because it is attached to the back of the head stone, it catches all the morning sun in the East and has faded it.

Is there anything in a detailer’s arsenal of tools that can be used to help make it look vibrant again?

Does anyone have any experience working with these or cleaning them?

If you look closely at the top of the picture you can see the military marker for my Grandmother, and it is much more deep in color which makes me think it doesn’t get as much sun.

Thanks in advance!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210424/3a43a27093e87fa83620b32709ef3227.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

DUBL0WS6
04-24-2021, 03:54 PM
I'd try a Copper pot cleaner type of product. Test on the bottom edge.

PaulMys
04-24-2021, 04:53 PM
Maybe try a metal polish or Never Dull?

I would try and talk to one of the cemetery grounds keepers. They may know of a product, or have an idea of what others use.

dieselfan1
04-24-2021, 08:06 PM
Brasso?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

waddell64
04-24-2021, 08:40 PM
Brasso?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I was just doing some online googling and read that Brasso is something worth trying.

I think I am going to try the following:
- do a nice scrub down with a brush (maybe a wheel brush) and some APC - thinking something like Simple Green
- rinse with some water
- then try a test spot with some Brasso
- if the Brasso works, try to find some sort of wax - maybe a spray wax of some sort or I have some BlackIce Hybrid wax I could try.

Still welcoming any tips, tricks and advice!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

LSNAutoDetailing
04-25-2021, 07:06 PM
First off, my salute to your Grandfather. A man from the greatest generation. My father also was in the Army Air Corps as a medic in WWII. Likewise he was born in 1920.

My honest advise would be to contact the makers of the headstones and get their opinion first. Those are the folks they have dedicated their profession to honoring our loved ones through their craftsmanship. They would be the ones to perhaps provide a list of products and techniques that are safe and effective.

That would be my advice first before doing anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Bowtie
04-26-2021, 07:22 AM
Maybe try Bar Keepers Friend? I have had good luck with it on many things.

Before & After | BKF Transformation Pics | Bar Keepers Friend(R) (https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/before-after/)

waddell64
04-26-2021, 08:50 AM
First off, my salute to your Grandfather. A man from the greatest generation. My father also was in the Army Air Corps as a medic in WWII. Likewise he was born in 1920.

My honest advise would be to contact the makers of the headstones and get their opinion first. Those are the folks they have dedicated their profession to honoring our loved ones through their craftsmanship. They would be the ones to perhaps provide a list of products and techniques that are safe and effective.

That would be my advice first before doing anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip - and yes, the greatest generation. He was a navigator on B25s stationed in Ireland, then was some sort of "master maps guy" for the base in Ireland after that. I have so many questions about what it was like now that he is gone and was too young and naive to ask when he was around.

Mike Phillips
04-26-2021, 11:35 AM
We used to carry a calcium, lime and rust remover from Flitz that would be safe to wash it with but looks Autogeek has discontinued it..

Flitz Metal Polish, Fiberglass & Paint Restorer is available in a paste or liquid form. Flitz will clean, polish, and protect any non-porous surface (https://www.autogeek.net/flmepopare.html)

:)

waddell64
04-26-2021, 04:39 PM
We used to carry a calcium, lime and rust remover from Flitz that would be safe to wash it with but looks Autogeek has discontinued it..

Flitz Metal Polish, Fiberglass & Paint Restorer is available in a paste or liquid form. Flitz will clean, polish, and protect any non-porous surface (https://www.autogeek.net/flmepopare.html)

:)

Cool - I will check that out. Thanks, Mike.

57Rambler
04-26-2021, 04:56 PM
That's most likely a patina that bronze develops as a result of oxidation, and is protective. Now if that "patina" were green, that would signal something much more corrosive is going on.