PDA

View Full Version : anyone using TWO DA's?

Pages : [1] 2

keegancarcare
04-24-2021, 03:57 AM
I find changing the pad on my Meguiar's MT320 to be really difficult - I'm worried I'm gonna damage a pad. In addition it's time consuming. I am seriously considering buying a second one - one machine for compounding and one for polishing. As a pro detailer speed and convenience are important.

Am I crazy!? :)

98CayenneTA
04-24-2021, 04:50 AM
I find changing the pad on my Meguiar's MT320 to be really difficult - I'm worried I'm gonna damage a pad. In addition it's time consuming. I am seriously considering buting a second one - ne machine for compunding and one for polishing. As a pro detailer speed andc onvenience is important.

Am I crazy!? :)

Are you implying putting a different pad on each and doing the whole job with just one pad each?

keegancarcare
04-24-2021, 06:21 AM
Are you implying putting a different pad on each and doing the whole job with just one pad each?

Well, not exactly (because your reply has indicated I should be using multiple pads and I'm willing to do that :) ). However, most of the time I can get away with one compounding and one polishing pad because I only do light correction on some panels - not the whole car and I just want to make things a little easier. Changing (Meguiars) pads frequently is a pain at the moment. I was thinking that having two machines at the ready (with different pads) would make work a little easier. However, I recently buffed more or less a whole vehicle (light correction) and cleaned the pad as I went. But after doing more research I definitely plan on getting plenty more pads.

The thing is, I'm also considering reintroducing a rotary to my kit too. Your ideas / suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for your reply.

dwaleke
04-24-2021, 08:10 AM
Well you should be changing pads frequently enough that I wouldn't think that would be the driver for a second machine.

But having multiple types of machines makes absolute sense. 8mm da, 15, 22, 3", 5", forced rotation DA, rotary, etc.

opie
04-24-2021, 08:18 AM
Is the pad damage concern stem from removing the pad off the velcro on the backing plate And being worried about the bad ripping apart?

Bruno Soares
04-24-2021, 08:27 AM
Normally you’d need about 6 pads for each step anyways. So you’re going to buy a dozen polishers?

Just change the pad.

It makes sense if the machines are different, maybe a 3” and 5” polisher, or one being forced and one being free spinning, but two of the same just to avoid changing pads makes no sense.

oneheadlite
04-24-2021, 08:30 AM
+1 for using more pads - neither compounding or polishing is a one pad affair!

If you’re a professional doing this for money, it sounds like you should look into a forced rotation unit like dwaleke mentions. The Flex machines especially are very popular with folks where time is money as you can work through a job without worrying about pitch perfect technique to maintain pad rotation (thus: correction). Rupes and Makita also have forced rotation machines.

If you’re having trouble getting pads off your backing plate, try sliding a popsicle stick or something similar between the pad and plate to start separating the Velcro so you’re not pulling on the foam risking damaging your pads. If your backing plate/pads bond that well, maybe you could put a small piece of tape at the edge of the backing plate to give your finger somewhere to slide in to start separating them.
The moments spent changing pads will pay off greatly both in the quality of results and the speed of cut of a fresh pad.

How many pads have you been using per step?

Also, to answer the title of the thread - I’m a hobbyist and I use 2 machines. I’ve got a Griot’s G9 (DA) I use with both 6.5 and 5.5” pads (and appropriate backing plates) as well as a G8 3” (DA). Just upgraded to the G8 from the previous generation; it came with a 2” backing plate as well so I’ve now got a lot of options to match the machine/pad to the area getting corrected.

FUNX650
04-24-2021, 08:41 AM
A polisher for each pad. (If only.)

Many Detailers on this forum have related
that have used upwards of 15-20 pads, or
more, on some jobs.

Imagine what they’d have to charge their
Customers in order to make a career out
of Detailing...let alone any chance for an
acceptable R.O.I.

These factoids, alone, would be cause
enough: for me to learn how to efficiently
change out buffing pads—POSTHASTE!

{Practice; practice; practice. :cheers: }

Bob

BurnsDetailing
04-24-2021, 09:29 AM
Haven't had to change the backing plate on any of my Rupes (LHR21 Mk3, 75E and iBrid Nano) due to pad separation related damage, the Claw pad removal tool Rupes sells makes it quick and painless to swap pads on their buffers.

Now my old Flex BEAST Hand Warmer edition is another story, the backing plate did start to peel away at the edges, but I think it had more to do with how hot it gets at the head of the BEAST (at least the older ones) and less the pad changes. At around $40 a backing plate every few years, can't really complain there either.

John U
04-24-2021, 10:03 AM
the Claw pad removal tool Rupes sells makes it quick and painless to swap pads on their buffers.

:xyxthumbs:

DUBL0WS6
04-24-2021, 04:02 PM
Steal a silverware knife from the kitchen. Just don't let your wife catch you.

ducksfan
04-24-2021, 04:19 PM
Damn, I came on here because I thought the OP was ambidextrous and really wanted to get at it.

Nope, same boring one machine at a time stuff.

PaulMys
04-24-2021, 04:41 PM
I'm not clear on why it so difficult for the OP to change pads?

I have used 20 pads in one machine session. Pull one off, stick one on. Couldn't be more simple.

TTQ B4U
04-24-2021, 04:47 PM
I find changing the pad on my Meguiar's MT320 to be really difficult - I'm worried I'm gonna damage a pad. In addition it's time consuming. I am seriously considering buying a second one - one machine for compounding and one for polishing. As a pro detailer speed and convenience are important.

I use Multiple Flex units and run two but one on each side of the vehicle usually. I may alternate between a larger pad and a smaller pad but usually I just change them out. I swap pad usually every panel some larger panels use multiple pads. Never a worry on the pads or backing plates. Both are nearly indestructible. Lake Country pads are awesome. Best speed increase you'll see is to use a rotary for cutting or a forced rotation unit. I use both.

keegancarcare
04-25-2021, 06:15 AM
@opie @PaulMys Thanks for your reply. I think the rupes claw tool will do the trick. I just find removing the Meguiars pads to be really difficult compared to others.