PDA

View Full Version : Deionized water system

dieselfan1
04-23-2021, 05:01 PM
I got it all hooked up and used it a couple times. I got a third sediment filter also. The DI does help some but I still have some spots. Not terrible but not spot free. The canisters leak where they screw on so I need to thread tape them. I noticed the resin is already turning brown. I may look into reverse osmosis I don't know yet.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210423/21441ddd3aebbd8454fe30c056ce357b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

2black1s
04-23-2021, 05:21 PM
I built myself a RO/DI system and although it works ok, getting a large enough volume of clean water through it is an issue. I think that is a problem with all "consumer" DI systems.

I have since modified my system to provide bulk water which I can then run through my pressure washer. Now I always have 30 gallons available.

This is only for personal usage... It would never cut it in shop environment.

dieselfan1
04-23-2021, 05:26 PM
I wonder if maybe the water is going through too fast to do much.

evo77
04-23-2021, 05:38 PM
I used to use those filters above but they never totally removed the minerals from my water. It brought my TDS from 140s to 50s and it worked for a wash or two and then the filters stop being effective and gradually lost its filtering capability.

I finally bit the bullet and went with the dual tank On The Go Deionizer. I used it yesterday for the first time to fill up a bucket for a quick rinseless wash. 0-zero on the TDS meter. Can't wait to start using it with my pressure washer setup. Because these pesky black piano door pillars on the Durango will water spot etch just by looking at them.

https://cdn3.volusion.com/dxylq.nruds/v/vspfiles/photos/OTG2-DDI-BF-2.jpg?v-cache=1526640198

2black1s
04-23-2021, 05:53 PM
I wonder if maybe the water is going through too fast to do much.

Do you have a TDS meter? If not, you should get one. They're cheap... Just look on amazon.

Then you can measure the effluent and that is the only way you will know how well your system is working.

dieselfan1
04-23-2021, 06:13 PM
It's 440.

dieselfan1
04-23-2021, 06:16 PM
Would it help using softened water?
I'm using cold out of the laundry tub which I believe is unsoftened
I could add some hot so it's lukewarm.
I have no idea.

2black1s
04-23-2021, 09:00 PM
It's 440.

What is the effluent? What it is going in is irrelevant other than resin life.

Would it help using softened water?
I'm using cold out of the laundry tub which I believe is unsoftened

Softened water still has the same TDS as the unsoftened water although the dissolved solids are softer and the resulting water spots wipe away easier.

BTW574
04-23-2021, 09:18 PM
Is the water leaking between the filter housing and the cap?
If it is Teflon tape is not going to fix the problem. The housing seals to the cap with an O-ring. Check to make sure the O-rings are in the grooves. Also check to make sure the O-rings have not flattened out or have any nicks or cuts in them.
When you replace filters do not use the filter wrench to tighten the housing, hand tight is all you need and will make the O-rings last longer and not flatten out.
Another tip is to use silicone plumbers grease on the O-rings, just make sure not to get it on the threads of the housing as this can make it nearly impossible to loosen up the housing from the cap after it sits for a while.

UncleDavy
04-23-2021, 09:28 PM
I recently used the Griots inline water softener and deionizer. I was skeptical because it seemed too simple but I used it when I washed the truck in direct sunlight and there were no water spots. It was easy to connect and it did not reduce the water pressure or flow.

Prange
04-24-2021, 06:49 AM
I have the On The Go single tank set-up. It works like magic. No water spots using it in the sun.

I only use it for the final rinse.

UncleDavy
04-24-2021, 12:33 PM
I used the Griots in-line filter again today and I was happy with the results. The truck was washed in direct sunlight to a spot free finish.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210424/9fb8b58fc7c37575c136e88864ba190f.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210424/cdb44cfb19607820bac288f2adc67246.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieselfan1
04-24-2021, 08:04 PM
Is the water leaking between the filter housing and the cap?
If it is Teflon tape is not going to fix the problem. The housing seals to the cap with an O-ring. Check to make sure the O-rings are in the grooves. Also check to make sure the O-rings have not flattened out or have any nicks or cuts in them.
When you replace filters do not use the filter wrench to tighten the housing, hand tight is all you need and will make the O-rings last longer and not flatten out.
Another tip is to use silicone plumbers grease on the O-rings, just make sure not to get it on the threads of the housing as this can make it nearly impossible to loosen up the housing from the cap after it sits for a while.I got new o rings and it still leaked. Done messing with it and went to Menards and got two more canisters. The charcoal filters fit right in and no leaks.
Also got some better filters for the other three.
Won't be able to try for a few days as it supposed to rain againhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210425/e6d9896f33d30c91173478c3bc5e4da7.jpg