PDA

View Full Version : Two questions - rims that won't come clean and waterless wash (unrelated)

Lance Mark
04-23-2021, 09:00 AM
This issue is not motorcycle specific so I put it here for anyone to chime in.

Issue 1:

Last night I tried to wash the front and rear rims on my bike.

I put a generous spray of Sonax Total Wheel Cleaner Plus. It was sprayed on cold dry rims. I let it sit for about 5 mins and rinsed them off.

No scrubbing, mitt, or brush. I just sprayed and rinsed.

After rinsing, I went after both rims again with CarPro's Reset and a brush.

It was starting to get a bit dark outside, I had a quick look when I was done and the rims looked clean.

Oh nay nay. I put an inspection light on them when I was done and found that the painted part of these is in really bad shape, which I expected, but under the light, there were spots where it didn't even look like I touched the rims.

My intentions are to go back at it with the Sonax again tonight, but this time, I'll work the surface with a MF wash mitt.

Once I have the rim clean, it's getting clay barred, a light hand polishing, prepped and then sealed with Gyeon CanCoat.

Please comment or make suggestions if what I plan on doing needs a pivot.

Issue 2:

For the most part, the bike is in pieces. Other than the rear fender and tires, the bike is basically the frame and engine at this point. I have the pulled parts tabled and ready for treatment.

I considered doing a waterless wash instead of washing with Reset. I went into a store that is a huge national retailer and told the kid what I was going to do and gave me a wash that has wax in it.

I pan on doing the following:

Waterles Wash > Iron Remover > Clay Bar > Wolfgang's Swirl Remover > Wolfgang's Finish Glaze > Gyeon Prep > Gyeon CanCoat

My concern is the waterless wash. It just doesn't makes sense to me to put wax on a surface before I use an iron remover and the clay bar it.

My plans are to just stick to using Reset. Please let me know your thoughts.

bob m
04-23-2021, 09:24 AM
Issue 2 - I would not use any waterless, rinseless or 2 bucket wash/shampoo that had any gloss enhancers or waxes in it if I planned to do what you are planning.