PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace a lot of detailing gear lost. Best bang for buck for just personal cars.

Pages : [1] 2

alkemyst
04-22-2021, 08:38 PM
Long story short, I have a ton of detailing gear in a house that my ex will not leave and COVID is not helping that. That said my main tool was the Porter Cable 7424XP which I was already looking to upgrade from at that time.

My son just bought his first car and it needs a detail. It probably was painted in the last 3-5 years. No major blemishes I see but just a bit dull.

I have Meg's Ultimate Compound since a neighbor had some foggy headlights and I fixed them for them.

I tend to like Meg's products since the late 80's when I got my first car.

I have a ton of Amazon micro fiber clothes. I have my Stoner's invisible glass.

Paying people to polish cars though has gotten pricey. The kid is 18 and I can show him how to work a buffer.

What's the best bang for buck to pick up some clay, pads, a polisher, products, some wash mitts/bucket inserts, car wash soap, anything else I may need? I am dealing with living in an apartment now with my own garage and a shared water supply to the garage units.

This is what I had: Dropbox - Detailing - Simplify your life (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bai5qb3ia25f68q/AAA4O6Uk_0SYli4j3rzIwqFUa?dl=0)

Thanks
Å

Mike Phillips
04-23-2021, 07:53 AM
If you want to upgrade from the Porter Cable, get the FLEX Supa BEAST and the optional 6" backing plate and then invest in the RUPES 180mm yellow pads and a great one-step like BLACKFIRE One Step.

BOOM! You're in business.

If you want to actually make money you NEED a gear-driven orbital. All brawl, zero stall. You save time and you remove the mental drain that comes with free spinning tools. Plus it's simply faster.

:buffing:

alkemyst
04-23-2021, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the reply, I will look into that. I see a lot of recommendations for the Rupes pads lately. I haven't used a 1 step yet really, but I trust your recommendations.

This would not be for a business just for my son and I (unless my son gets that desire, I did detailing as a teen since my dad built me a show car and everyone would ask "who details your car" :)).

The Porter Cable wasn't terrible, I just heard there are better options now and since I have to buy all new stuff I figure I'd upgrade. Hopefully once this blows over I get my gear all back.

What's a good source for cheap clay?

alkemyst
04-23-2021, 07:03 PM
got to contemplate dropping $450 for a machine I probably won't use and my son only will.

any good bang for bucks in the $200ish range...like the Griot G9? Especially if a rotary should be included. I have read though the Flex tools can replace the need for that.

That said I may just pull the trigger, I eventually want to do a full paint correction and ceramic coat on my cadillac that would cost far more than the material and machine costs anyway.

I have always wanted the Flex and this Supa one looks like a great option.

Is the AIO stuff really the way to go? I am sure it saves on pads. I have usually done a 3 step type to start off a car (Megs). What I have been reading says you should still finish up with a wax/sealant at the end.

In the beginning you swore by the 5.5" pads I thought, was the 6.5" a product of machines getting better?

Again, this is not for profit. Just my car and my son's.

PaulMys
04-23-2021, 07:17 PM
got to contemplate dropping $450 for a machine I probably won't use and my son only will.

any good bang for bucks in the $200ish range...like the Griot G9? Especially if a rotary should be included. I have read though the Flex tools can replace the need for that.

That said I may just pull the trigger, I eventually want to do a full paint correction and ceramic coat on my cadillac that would cost far more than the material and machine costs anyway.

I have always wanted the Flex and this Supa one looks like a great option.

Is the AIO stuff really the way to go? I am sure it saves on pads. I have usually done a 3 step type to start off a car (Megs). What I have been reading says you should still finish up with a wax/sealant at the end.

In the beginning you swore by the 5.5" pads I thought, was the 6.5" a product of machines getting better?

Again, this is not for profit. Just my car and my son's.

IMO, The G9 is a great choice.

And since the GG6 is not sold here on AutoGeek any longer, I still see them offered for sale on "The big A".

alkemyst
04-23-2021, 11:24 PM
GG6 vs G9?

Coatingsarecrack
04-24-2021, 01:58 AM
GG6 vs G9?

Pay the extra and get the g9. The upgrades are worth it. Trigger, better ergonomics, smoother and more powerful.

Look into the g15. I got the old one and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DUBL0WS6
04-24-2021, 02:49 PM
If money is an option there are low cost, long throw machines available on the A site. You could pick up some Griots Complete polish and compound at your local auto parts store or get the Griots Boss polishes from autogeek

PaulMys
04-24-2021, 05:24 PM
If money is an option there are low cost, long throw machines available on the A site. You could pick up some Griots Complete polish and compound at your local auto parts store or get the Griots Boss polishes from autogeek

JMO, but I'd stay away from those cheap "Big A" machines. Zero warranty, and if (when) they crap out, well that's it. Your money is gone.

dwaleke
04-24-2021, 05:44 PM
Hate to state the obvious but just go get your stuff.

Any of the Flex forced rotation tools are great if you really want an upgrade from the PC.

alkemyst
04-25-2021, 01:42 PM
Hate to state the obvious but just go get your stuff.

Any of the Flex forced rotation tools are great if you really want an upgrade from the PC.

There is an agreement (from over 2 years ago now) that I will let her stay in my house until she can find another accommodation which she was supposed to work on. Then COVID came and now she is claiming she can't move. The agreement states I am to not come on premises. The kicker is is my stuff even going to be there.

The G9 is looking interesting. I wish money was not an object, but the extra $300-400 for the Flex tool could buy my son quite a bit of stuff for his car and at the end of the day I am sure we can get equal results out of it (just more time of course but we aren't doing this for income). I need to find out more about the G15, many are still seeming to prefer the G9.

Would the Rupes 180mm pads still be the way to go though, many have put 5" backing plates on their G9s. I used to use a 6" on my PC (7336XP technically) but I did get the stalling many talk about. Also it did have a lot of vibration.

dwaleke
04-25-2021, 03:19 PM
You want to use a 5" plate on the G9.

alkemyst
04-25-2021, 03:59 PM
Thanks everyone, just bit the bullet.

G9 with the Blackfire AIO kit
Meg's 2 bucket complete wash kit
Cobra wheel wash kit
fire hose nozzle.
A couple microfiber/chenille wash mits
Meg's Ult Quick Detailer
Wheel brushes
Medium and Fine clay bars
Already have Stoner's Glass Cleaner and a bunch of yellow microfiber.

should be set

MisterSnoop
04-25-2021, 04:27 PM
There is an agreement (from over 2 years ago now) that I will let her stay in my house until she can find another accommodation which she was supposed to work on. Then COVID came and now she is claiming she can't move. The agreement states I am to not come on premises. The kicker is is my stuff even going to be there.

Send a neutral 3rd party then?

alkemyst
04-25-2021, 07:24 PM
Send a neutral 3rd party then?

Still not allowed. That part is complicated. It's like a restraining order in a way. You can't have someone else do what you want done. She claims she is indigent and has no source of income. I have tried to bring cases to the court, it's too expensive. There is a lot more to this whole thing than I want to just publicly put out there.