PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Products

Pages : [1] 2

dajonx
04-21-2021, 10:11 AM
Good morning, guys.

Does anyone have any recommendations for products that can lessen the effects of my car being covered in pollen? I've read some threads on Google, but they've been posted like 5+ years ago.

I'm not sure if this has any influence in product selection, but my car is a 2019 BMW X3 Mineral Gray. I've been using ONR for my wash and some old Four Star UPP occasionally. I don't have a polisher. The car is kept outside which definitely doesn't help the pollen accumulation.

Also, if those product recommendations can please be reasonable price-wise, that would be great. I understand that's very subjective, but if you think that's worth the price, then that's good enough for me.

Thanks!

BurnsDetailing
04-21-2021, 11:45 AM
Not aware of any product, other than a garage, to stop pollen from covering your car.

dajonx
04-21-2021, 12:33 PM
No; not stop pollen altogether because how can anyone stop Mother Nature? :laughing:

But a product that works better with pollen. Carnuba wax? Something like the Four Star UPP? Ceramic spray wax?

BurnsDetailing
04-21-2021, 12:57 PM
Anything to lower the surface friction, like a wax, sealant or ceramic/graphene coating, to make rinsing pollen off quicker/easier would help. Depending on what your water situation is, a drying aid may be needed to prevent a trade off from pollen to water spots.

Texchappy
04-21-2021, 01:18 PM
Anything to lower the surface friction, like a wax, sealant or ceramic/graphene coating, to make rinsing pollen off quicker/easier would help. Depending on what your water situation is, a drying aid may be needed to prevent a trade off from pollen to water spots.
That is what I was thinking. A good quality sealant or coating will make the ordeal a bit more bearable.

vaca22
04-21-2021, 01:21 PM
It's crazy here in central CT. Yesterday morning I went outside to try out some Griot's Spray-On Car Wash and had the car all clean by 10:30. I think by 1:15 there was already another layer of pollen, probably even worse than when I originally went outside to clean it.

dajonx
04-21-2021, 01:32 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what would be a good quality sealant or coating? Is Four Star UPP any good?

After applying sealant (or something similar), would it be really dumb if I washed/rinsed, but didn't hand dry? Instead, I would drive it around to dry it? Hmm... I bet it is at least not recommended, huh?

Texchappy
04-21-2021, 01:41 PM
I can’t help you with that particular sealant, haven’t used it. I’ve been using Optiseal and Optimum car waxfor a while. Just got some Griot’s 3in1 ceramic to try. There’s lots of good ones out there. As far as not hand drying, you’re likely to leave water spots behind, especially if you have hard water like we do here. The only way to do it is get a filter to make the rinse water the equivalent of distilled water. You could also use a blower to dry it; I don’t but some people do.

Have you ever tried rinseless products before? Might be something to look into. Been using optimum no rinse myself for about a decade.

TTQ B4U
04-21-2021, 03:23 PM
Water
Time
Garage

are the best things.

Seriously though.....coatings or anything that doesn't create static. Nothing special here for me as I tend to just deal with it for a few weeks.

PaulMys
04-21-2021, 05:09 PM
It's crazy here in central CT. Yesterday morning I went outside to try out some Griot's Spray-On Car Wash and had the car all clean by 10:30. I think by 1:15 there was already another layer of pollen, probably even worse than when I originally went outside to clean it.

It is! I was just in Columbia yesterday on a dealer swap.

The blue car I picked up was a nice greenish/yellow. Lol

It is starting to get bad out here on the tip of LI as well.

To the OP: I have found that trying to battle pollen is like shoveling sand uphill. Fruitless. :(

DUBL0WS6
04-21-2021, 10:47 PM
A car cover

Desertnate
04-22-2021, 08:46 AM
Water
Time
Garage

are the best things.

Seriously though.....coatings or anything that doesn't create static. Nothing special here for me as I tend to just deal with it for a few weeks.

Probably the best answer here. Keeping the car covered or garaged is the only way to keep off the pollen, but it will collect the minute the car goes outside. This time of year I can watch the pollen start to build up on my black car while I'm drying it after a wash!

I've found coatings to be the best bet in controlling pollen. They don't seem to attract pollen as bad and what does get on there seems to come off much easier. I also don't use any toppers on my coatings so I wonder if that helps as well since the naked coatings might be less likely to have surface pollen clings to versus a topping product of some sort.

dwaleke
04-22-2021, 10:02 PM
I used Turtle Wax Wet Wax last spring and it turned my Jeep into a pollen magnet.

Previously it was always coated along with a coating specific topper. Big difference IMO.

dajonx
04-23-2021, 03:10 PM
What is a "coating"? Wax or sealant? Or, those "coatings" that has to be professionally installed?

I was eyeing the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax on top of the Four Starr UPP. See if that does anything. But yeah. It looks like pollen is something that can't be overcome.

I especially dislike rained on pollen. It kinda looks like spots or stripes of pollen on the car.

Texchappy
04-23-2021, 03:23 PM
Understanding that these are ‘generally’ applied terms that some manufacturers abuse and that there are hybrids out there:

Wax - the oldest of the last stage protection (lsp) products. Contain natural substances, generally carnuba. Think your grandad’s turtle wax. Know for they ‘warmth’ but now their durability. The vinyl records of the LSP world.

Sealant - been around for a few decades now. Based on synthetic, mostly petroleum based, technology. Last a bit longer. Probably the most numerous product in lsp’s today. Example, optiseal. Can be cold but glossy.

Coating - been around over the last few years. Last 1-9 years (at least claimed on some). Usually contain SIO2 though Garphene is the Newest substance. Sold as tough and hydrophobic. Clear so underneath substance will need to be corrected as much as possible.