PDA

View Full Version : Wheel coating ?

luckydawg
04-16-2021, 06:29 PM
Well I have never been a fan of coatings, but I finally got the Gtechniq CSL & XO combo that I will be doing in a few short weeks on my jeeps hood & fenders only.

I just purchased a re-furbished set of OEM wheels for it that has a macheened finish with a heavy / thick clear coat applied over said macheened finish. My Experience in the past has been that the clears applied on wheels yellows fairly fast and often starts chipping & then flaking off.

So I am thinking that maybe a dedicated wheel coating might help me in this situation, but dont know. What I would like to know is if there are any wheel specific coatings out there that offer UV protection & what has the AGO family / board tried that they are sold on

Rsurfer
04-16-2021, 06:57 PM
Just use the Gtechniq coating you have on hand.

The Guz
04-16-2021, 09:29 PM
Most coatings have UV protection. You can use what you have to coat the wheels. But let me ask this, why only coat the hood and fenders? Why not coat the rest of the panels?

luckydawg
04-16-2021, 09:35 PM
I am not "big" on coatings, and am only giving it a shot as a last resort --as everything I have tried for protection has not lasted very long. I have not tried the cosmic V2 on it yet , but want to save that for something else. So If I only did the horizontal surfaces and was not pleased with the outcome, it would be easier on me to polish it off. Horizontal surfaces are much easier and faster for me

The Guz
04-16-2021, 09:42 PM
Seems like a waste of product given that CSL is one layer so you will be left with quite a bit. It is not layerable. Exo will go rather quick as its recommended to go with 2 layers. With that said you don't need a dedicated wheel coating for a daily driver.

luckydawg
04-17-2021, 05:40 AM
I purchased the smaller bottle (30 ML i think ) Thanks for the input fellas

TTQ B4U
04-17-2021, 06:15 AM
GYEON Q2 rim is one of the better ones here. Its my go to one.

luckydawg
04-21-2021, 07:23 PM
you don't need a dedicated wheel coating for a daily driver.

So when would I use a dedicated wheel coating?

Rsurfer
04-21-2021, 07:55 PM

When you don't have any paint coating and need to buy more to coat your wheels.

The Guz
04-21-2021, 08:40 PM

If you see track times to product high heat.

psnt1ol
04-21-2021, 09:19 PM
If you see track times to product high heat.

you hit the nail on the head. most dedicated wheel coating has a higher heat tolerance. Paint coating's goal is to shine and protect. Wheel coating is more gear toward heat and adhesion for durability. While a high SIO2 content in a paint coating is a good thing, it sometimes can have adhesion issues with non clear coated wheels.