PDA

View Full Version : To those who do not have access to a garage....

bob m
04-16-2021, 02:23 PM
So, in the upcoming weeks - as weather permits, I'm going to decon and coat my car. I may not have access to a garage, but how much of a problem is the next day's early morning dew going to create for the coating?

Don M
04-16-2021, 03:29 PM
I would guess that any car left overnight (even in a garage) should get a panel wipe with IPA or a similar coating-prep wipe down. Then you should be good to go.

The Guz
04-16-2021, 03:47 PM
What coating will you be applying?

bob m
04-16-2021, 03:48 PM
I would guess that any car left overnight (even in a garage) should get a panel wipe with IPA or a similar coating-prep wipe down. Then you should be good to go.

Don,

Sorry, I wasn't clear. After the coating is applied, I was concerned about the next morning's like dew.

PaulMys
04-16-2021, 04:28 PM

Bob, if you tell Mike (Guz) which coating you are planning to use, he can give you detailed info about it...... :)

bob m
04-16-2021, 05:05 PM

Dang, I thought I had replied. Duh. It's Fictech Crystal.

The Guz
04-16-2021, 09:40 PM
Ok I did a little research for you since the place that sells it in the states has zero info on their site. A little google translate for the directions.

The key one is KEEP the vehicle dry for at least 12 hours. Like most coatings it is best to not expose them to moisture before the recommended time frame as it can impact the coatings performance. With that said, I would reach out to the manufacturer to find out what can be done to minimize the impact if not able to work inside. One question to ask is if they have a topper they recommend to protect the coating during the curing time frame.

One thing you could do is coat the car with the recommended amount of layer which looks to be just one with a second optional. I would do two just to make sure you have even coverage. But let it sit out in the sun as long as possible to let the IR from the sun "cure" the coating a bit. You may want to correct one day and coat the following day.

Perhaps you could borrow the garage of a friend or neighbor.

From my experience a coating exposed to moisture before the recommended time frame will impact the coatings performance. I have experienced this with Gyeon CanCoat.

In kit with 30ml, 50ml or 100ml bottle, application suede and applicator block.

PREPARE the surface before treatment (washing, decontamination and ideally finishing polishing at a minimum).

Compulsory and meticulous DEGREASING with Paddock.

POUR a line of product onto the 10x10cm application suede wrapped around the applicator block.

SPREAD over a 60x60cm area, first cropping the edges.

APPLY in rectilinear crossed movements (criss-cross)

LEAVE for between 1min and 2min depending on temperature conditions.

WIPER with a double-sided microfiber and then with a 40x40cm suede.

2nd coat possible after 2 hours.

KEEP the vehicle dry for at least 12 hours.

PRO TIP:

Make sure you are well lit before applying a ceramic.

Wear a mask and protective gloves.

Work in a ventilated environment free from surrounding dust.

Avoid contact with moisture during application.

Take care of your wiping.

bob m
04-17-2021, 06:48 AM
Thank you Mike for doing the heavy lifting! Yeah, my plan was to do it in 2 days - all prep one day and coat the next, starting early in the morning to give it maximum drying time. But I think I'M going to first see if I can move enough stuff around in my (heated) garage - which was once my woodworking shop and demo, but has later turned into my daughter's drum practice area.

ducksfan
04-17-2021, 01:16 PM
You can extend a garage 10 ft outward at the opening with 5 2x4's, some screws, plastic sheeting and preferably some tack strips. Takes maybe an hour.

bob m
04-17-2021, 07:53 PM
Thanks All.

A further "investigation" on my part revealed that if I do a little "furniture" moving aka my daughter's 3 drum sets and my wife's gardening stuff, I have enough room to have my CX-5' dry properly in a warm, dry environment. Maybe I'm too much of a doting father...

PaulMys
04-17-2021, 08:44 PM
Maybe I'm too much of a doting father...

No such thing, Bob.

:)