PDA

View Full Version : PPF and polishing?

bob m
04-15-2021, 02:32 PM
I have a 5 month old car with PPF on the whole front. Car has been hand washed and well cared for, but I'm going to be applying a coating, so I will be doing all the proper prep work - wash, Iron-X, clay (lightly), wash, wipe down and coat. I'll be using a fine polish, not a compound. I have used a polish on the PPF on prior cars, but giving it more thought, are there any down sides to polishing PPF?

psnt1ol
04-15-2021, 03:50 PM
You are removing a small amount of materials each time you polish. More so than paint... heat is not your friend when it comes to polishing. Most reputable brands of PPF have some type of UV blocker unlike the PPF in the market years ago which would yellow as it age. There are PPF specific coatings in the market these days designed to address this.

bob m
04-15-2021, 03:53 PM
You are removing a small amount of materials each time you polish. More so than paint... heat is not your friend when it comes to polishing. Most reputable brands of PPF have some type of UV blocker unlike the PPF in the market years ago which would yellow as it age. There are PPF specific coatings in the market these days designed to address this.

Thanks. So, best not to polish that PPF (XPEL ULTIMATE)?

Bruno Soares
04-15-2021, 04:26 PM
If the PPF is not scratched/marred, I would avoid polishing it to not remove the factory UV protection. If you need to polish, I'd try something like Gyeon PPF Renew which is made for this and probably not aggressive enough to damage the Xpel Ultimate you got. Might be wise to ask your installer for his recommendation.

psnt1ol
04-15-2021, 06:29 PM
Thanks. So, best not to polish that PPF (XPEL ULTIMATE)?

only if you have to. If it doesnt need it then dont do it. I used Renew to freshen up and to remove minor swirls on PPF with no ill effects but then I also had used a fine polish with a black pad in the past with pretty good success.

Mike Phillips
04-16-2021, 08:03 AM
I agree with everything already posted.

I will say I've polished a lot of clear bras in my life and as long as you're using great abrasive technology and a soft foam pad you should be okay.

I've never had a problem - knock on plastic.

:)

bob m
04-16-2021, 08:18 AM
Thanks All. I have not checked it under lights, but I was considering it as much for gloss enhancement as much as anything.