PDA

View Full Version : LSP Spray n Wipe vs DA application

Pages : [1] 2

olfac87
04-15-2021, 11:06 AM
I am guessing the answer is "it depends," however, I will ask anyway. Are there any prevailing schools of thought on using a spray n wipe product after polishing versus one put on by a DA? For example, I was looking at Griots Ceramic 3-1 wax (wipe on/off) versus Griots BOSS Finishing Sealant (DA applied with black finishing pad). It doesn't have to be these two products per se, just using them as examples of wipe versus DA.

Partly asking because it makes a difference on whether I buy more towels or more pads as I make my initial outlay/purchase.

Thank you.

glen e
04-15-2021, 11:10 AM
My rule of thumb is if it’s a spray and wipe that does not require it to Haze over like a wax, then I spray and wipe, like blackfire si02......If it requires it to cure to a haze like 303 graphene, , I apply that with a soft pad and DA as I can work faster than just with an applicator.

olfac87
04-15-2021, 11:12 AM
My rule of thumb is if it’s a spray and wipe that does not require it to Haze over like a wax, then I spray and wipe, like blackfire si02......If it requires it to cure to a haze like 303 graphene, , I apply that with a soft pad and DA as I can work faster than just with an applicator.

Glen - do you prefer one over the other, or find better results? Or maybe the same results and I need to pick my poison?

glen e
04-15-2021, 11:25 AM
I really like using the orbital, but like I said, never for a spray and wipe , only for products that cure. I use a cordless orbital so it’s super simple.

olfac87
04-15-2021, 11:30 AM
I really like using the orbital, but like I said, never for a spray and wipe , only for products that cure. I use a cordless orbital so it’s super simple.

Agreed. I definitely wouldn't use an orbital with a spray n wipe product. My question centered more around which method people prefer. It sounds like you might lean towards products that cure and want to use the DA, which would be the Griots Finishing Sealant in my example, or the 303 Graphene you mentioned, which is the second time I have heard this product mentioned.

2black1s
04-15-2021, 11:30 AM
I'm a little old school when this topic comes up. And while I understand that products have changed and some of today's "spray-on" products have made serious advances, I still like a product that is "worked into" the surface as my primary weapon with spray-ons used for in-between maintenance.

olfac87
04-15-2021, 11:37 AM
I still like a product that is "worked into" the surface as my primary weapon

What's your favorite "worked into" product of choice?

2black1s
04-15-2021, 11:51 AM
What's your favorite "worked into" product of choice?

Depends on the application and what I feel like using that day.

But here's some of my choices. All Meguiar's products.

- #3 Machine Glaze
- #7 Hand Glaze
- #21 Sealant
- #26 Yellow Wax (liquid)
- Ultimate Wax (liquid)
- OTC Cleaner Wax (AIO - maroon bottle)
- D166 AIO

PaulMys
04-15-2021, 05:09 PM
I am (and always will be) a fan of applying "worked into" products by hand. By the time I set the machine down 30 times to get into tight areas, It's just not worth it to me.

I know I am in the minority on this, but it is just my preference.

FUNX650
04-15-2021, 06:43 PM
•IMO:
-Hand-held pads and DA-mounted pads
are both examples of “applicator pads”.

•If by happenstance you should agree with
that assessment, then (again IMO): it really
shouldn’t matter which form of a Finishing
LSP you choose (Paste, Spray, Liquid, Cream);

-nor which type of applicator pad [hand-held,
DA-mounted, (even a microfiber towel?)] with
which you choose to apply an LSP.

•That way:
-The ball is in your court. Handle at
your discretion.

Bob

PaulMys
04-15-2021, 07:10 PM
•IMO:
-Hand-held pads and DA-mounted pads
are both examples of “applicator pads”.

•If by happenstance you should agree with
that assessment, then (again IMO): it really
shouldn’t matter which form of a Finishing
LSP you choose (Paste, Spray, Liquid, Cream);

-nor which type of applicator pad [hand-held,
DA-mounted, (even a microfiber towel?)] with
which you choose to apply an LSP.

•That way:
-The ball is in your court. Handle at
your discretion.

Bob

Way to take a hardline stance, Bob. :laughing:

psnt1ol
04-15-2021, 07:16 PM
I dont remember the last time I used use a paste wax but I do recall I used less product when using a DA rather than by hand.

UncleDavy
04-15-2021, 07:26 PM
Like Paulie, I always liked to apply waxes and sealants by hand. I liked the amount of control especially in the tight areas or near vinyl trim where a machine may be troublesome. Now I do find myself using my Griots GG3 on large areas where there is lots of room like the roof and hood.
The spray on/wipe off products have really improved over the last couple of years. Turtle Wax Ice Seal n Shine and Griots 3 in 1 are two of my favorites.

olfac87
04-17-2021, 08:06 AM
[QUOTE=UncleDavy;1711354The spray on/wipe off products have really improved over the last couple of years. Turtle Wax Ice Seal n Shine and Griots 3 in 1 are two of my favorites.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I am leaning toward the GG 3 in 1 as my first LSP out of the gate. The sense I have reading all these posts is people have many go-to products in their arsenal, like to try new products, etc. I don't think I will be unhappy with GG 3 in 1 at all, and can see where detailing life takes me from there.

Don M
04-17-2021, 11:29 AM
I'n my case, I've been using Turtle Wax's Ceramic Spray and most recently the Graphene Spray. Both products are marketed as "Spray On, Wipe Off" products using a microfiber cloth.

IME, I get much better results applying either one to a microfiber applicator pad and actually working it into the paint, then buffing it off before it flashes, rather than going strictly by the directions of 'spray & wipe.'

Too, I feel that spraying a product on the paint, then wiping it off with a microfiber tends to let the mf absorb more of the product than it leaves deposited on the paint. This does both the detailer and product a disservice.... The product, because there's not enough of it left on the surface to work as it should and it will likely fail early (I've seen this in a You Tube video where a product that SHOULD have lasted months-if applied properly with 2 coats, failed in less than two). and The detailer, since the performance of the product has been compromised, did all that work for nothing.

Take this with a grain of salt, because it is JUST my opinion and experience .... BUT Mike Phillips once told me when I was having a problem protecting my dash with a protectant, that in effect, by spraying the product on the dashboard and wiping with a dry microfiber, I was doing more product REMOVAL than I was application. He then recommended spraying the microfiber with the protectant and once the microfiber was damp with product, THEN apply it to the dash. That was years ago, and I guess it stuck with me.

Again, just my $0.02