PDA

View Full Version : Truck doesnt want to be polished

swirlnuts
04-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I just wonder if any of you have ever experienced this and might have some helpful tips for me. I was working on an 05 Chevy 2500 HD, black in color. I did it last spring and the owner has taken pretty good care of it, some minor swirling and a few scratches. So i washed, then clayed the entire truck. Decided to go with SIP on a white lc pad via metabo. The polish wanted to dry up and just seemed as if it sucked all the lube out of SIP. So i thought maybe pad, switched to a different white pad, same problem. Went through all my pads, same problem thought maybe SIP was acting up. Tried 106, OP, Megs 83 and some others i cant remember all with the same results. Did prepsol and ISO wipedowns, tried claying again and nothing helped. So i tried the SIP and white pad combo on a ford van on the other side of the shop and worked like a dream.

So if anyone has experienced anything like this and could point in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it.

Themightytimmah
04-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Hmm, I've never heard of this happening with a clearcoated car, but an old single stage trick to fix this kind of problem is to coat the car in Megs 07 a few hours before buffing, then wipe it off right before buffing. Soaks oils into the paint.

This trick might not work though, because in theory, CC'ed paint is incapable of absorbing oils. In theory though also, CC'ed paint won't gum up pads like that either.

Wool pads sometimes help in this situation too, that's what I tend to use when I run into a "gummy" car.

Chris Thomas
04-08-2008, 10:56 PM
What was the temp of the surface and did you try distilled water or
QD on the pad and do you have a DA to rule out machine error?

swirlnuts
04-09-2008, 06:51 AM
it was about 65 degrees in the shop yesterday. I tried DW and QD but no luck. I was getting very similar results with the pc. The polish just seemed to dry and soak up all the lube.