PDA

View Full Version : GYEON Gelcoat

58LesPaul
04-06-2021, 06:08 PM
I have a bottle of GYEON Gelcoat that I planned to use on my camper last year but never got to it. Just purchased a new Subaru Forrester Sport and am wondering what the difference is in Gelcoat coating and auto coating? Would it be a mistake to coat the Forrester with it?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Mike Phillips
04-07-2021, 09:52 AM
I have a bottle of GYEON Gelcoat that I planned to use on my camper last year but never got to it. Just purchased a new Subaru Forrester Sport and am wondering what the difference is in Gelcoat coating and auto coating? Would it be a mistake to coat the Forrester with it?

Thanks

Here's the deal. Unlike modern clearcoat paint, gelcoat is porous. So I've been told the chemistry to make a "real" gelcoat coating that can also endure the incredibley HARSH marine environment, especially SALT WATER - there's more chemistry involved. I actually don't know what kind of chemiestry but it's more difficult to create a coating for gelcoat than car paint.

That said, GYEON makes great products. I went to Skynet and typed in,

Q²R MARINE

And found this,

Detailing News - New From Gyeon - Q²R Marine Line - Detailing World (https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=410571)

q²r gelcoat

the ultimate protective ceramic coat for gelcoat and yacht paint.

Protects against uv-rays and oxidation. Repels dirt and minimizes stains. Highly watermark resistant.

Easy to use 1 layer formula. Durability of a full season.

Yacht paint is like modern clearcoat paint in that it is NOT porous. So in my way of thinking, if the GYEON Q2R Marine Gelcoat Coating can be used on Yacht paint - it can be used on car paint.

Maybe do a test spot on a section of paint and watch it for a few weeks. Wash and dry the car, inspect. If all looks good - go for it on the rest of the car.

:)

58LesPaul
04-07-2021, 10:48 AM
Thanks Mike! I emailed GYEON but haven’t heard back yet