PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone's car in pristine condition?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bob m
04-05-2021, 04:46 PM
Like most here, I'm a hobbyist detailer. I keep my car as clean as reasonably possible and even carrY a portable car vac in my trunk when I go away on trips with friends. Coatings done for paint protection. PPF on entire front on vehicle.
When I take my car to work in NYC, I almost never park on the street and schmooze the guys in the parking garage to give my car some extra care. Park way to the back of the parking lots when shopping.

So when giving my (only 4 month old) car a wipe down after a wash yesterday, I noticed two small pings (one pic shown) in the rear bumper!!! I know, I know it's inevitable, but sometimes make me question, why I'm spending all this time (well I do enjoy it) trying to keep the car in as pristine condition as possible when if my car is out of the driveway, its condition is up for grabs. I mean, I ain't losing sleep over it, but annoying nonetheless. I guess I may just add a small trailer hitch to protect the back bumper, but sometimes I'm reminded of what my friend's mother mentioned to him many years ago - "the car belongs to the street."

PaulMys
04-05-2021, 04:58 PM
Yeah, if it is your daily driver, you are gonna get some "pings". As careful as I am, I have found 2 "door dings" since I have owned my truck from careless morons that don't have any respect. (Thank God for PDR guys!)

Unless you have a garage queen that only goes on short trips on the best of days, in is inevitable.

bob m
04-05-2021, 05:09 PM
Yeah, if it is your daily driver, you are gonna get some "pings". As careful as I am, I have found 2 "door dings" since I have owned my truck from careless morons that don't have any respect. (Thank God for PDR guys!)

Unless you have a garage queen that only goes on short trips on the best of days, in is inevitable.

Yes and no on the daily driver. I usually take mass transit to work, so it really isn't a daily driver. But it sure isn't a garage queen either. I would almost consider one of the rear bumper protectors like this one:
Parking Armor - Rear Bumper Guards, Car Bumper Guards (https://www.parkingarmor.com/) but it's probably inconvenient to use and probably gonna end up scratching the bumper or at least inducing tons of swirls.

Actually on second thought, it just may be inevitable. I spent over 2k to have PPF applied to the whole front end of my car, only to have a stone hit the door with the ensuing dent.
But I may consider that bumper hitch.

PaulMys
04-05-2021, 05:20 PM
Yes and no on the daily driver. I usually take mass transit to work, so it really isn't a daily driver. But it sure isn't a garage queen either. I would almost consider one of the rear bumper protectors like this one:
Parking Armor - Rear Bumper Guards, Car Bumper Guards (https://www.parkingarmor.com/) but it's probably inconvenient to use and probably gonna end up scratching the bumper or at least inducing tons of swirls.

Actually on second thought, it just may be inevitable. I spent over 2k to have PPF applied to the whole front end of my car, only to have a stone hit the door with the ensuing dent.
But I may consider that bumper hitch.

If you drive into the City, and use the parking garages, every day you drive it counts as 6. Lol

MisterSnoop
04-05-2021, 07:09 PM
Park way to the back of the parking lots when shopping.

I did that weekend before last. Went into a store and a thunderstorm started when I was inside. I came out to a cart next to my car and this. Estimate was $900. If I had parked in between other cars, it probably would have been fine.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210406/7ed11a283f674e8fb48d82c1e7aebf11.jpg

John U
04-05-2021, 07:16 PM
MisterSnoop..... That's a shame!

I had the same thing happen to a rental car. I took a piece of baseboard off the hotel floor to use as a prybar. I pulled the door panel loose and massaged it to where I passed "check-in".

John U
04-05-2021, 07:35 PM
bob m,

I still remember my first new car. I was a territory salesman driving in a multistate territory. I still remember the chips and how they hurt as much as they do today 35 yrs later.

I "try" to cover up my road "rash" with the shinniest paint and cleanest wheel/tires on the block. My daily driver has 250,000 miles on it and is cleaner then the new cars on the lot (the service techs tell me).
I get the most satisfaction when friends are visiting and comment when riding how clean my minivan is and did I get a new one? "Nope, same old junker, has 250K on it now" is my reply

FUNX650
04-05-2021, 09:38 PM
•I realize there may be different interpretations
for the definitive definition of ”pristine”;

-But, IMO:
If a person would actually take the time to look
close enough, they’d discover that not even brand
new vehicles, straight from the factory, are ever in
what I consider to be “pristine” condition.

At least I’ve never come across any.

Bob

hoyt66
04-06-2021, 04:11 AM
I do my best to keep my vehicles pretty squared away. I also try to strategically park and take the "best" roads when possible. Cars are always vulnerable but to me it's worth keeping them tidy because I am rewarded everyday I get in and drive. And if I can't rub out a scratch or pdr a ding well then they will be waxed the same as the rest of the car. The old adage applies here "don't worry about what you can't control"

LEDetailing
04-06-2021, 05:28 AM
•I realize there may be different interpretations
for the definitive definition of ”pristine”;

-But, IMO:
If a person would actually take the time to look
close enough, they’d discover that not even brand
new vehicles, straight from the factory, are ever in
what I consider to be “pristine” condition.

At least I’ve never come across any.

Bob

100% agreed!

Too many human hands touching it, a lot of time spent in open air. I would bet some hyper expensive luxury/exotics leave the factory pristine. Even those eventually make into the hands of at least one person who is flippant about paint/vehicle car.

bob m
04-06-2021, 07:33 AM
I did that weekend before last. Went into a store and a thunderstorm started when I was inside. I came out to a cart next to my car and this. Estimate was $900. If I had parked in between other cars, it probably would have been fine.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210406/7ed11a283f674e8fb48d82c1e7aebf11.jpg

Ouch, sorry to hear; that really stinks. I guess that's too deep for one of those "Dent Doctors." But this brings up another pet peeve I have and that is that most people are too damn lazy, oblivious and inconsiderate to bring the shopping carts back to where they belong, leaving them strewn around the lot. So someone's laziness just cost you $900.00, plus the time and aggravation to get it repaired.

Bill D
04-06-2021, 07:36 AM
I park so far away that I have to leave the cart out but I always leave it on a parking lot island so it doesn’t roll into traffic or a car.

PA DETAILER
04-06-2021, 07:37 AM
I do my best to keep it pristine. After my detail this weekend, a neighbor came by to check out the underwasher. He made the comment the truck looks better than new. In reality they don't stay new long. If it's a DD it's going to be exposed to every element and hazard know to man. The best you can do is keep it the best you can. It's going to pick up goobers, nicks, flaws etc. Your fighting a losing battle. I was pleased not to find more damage after that PA winter. They are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

The only way i know to keep it pristine is buy it new, park it in a garage, and NEVER drive it.

Bill D
04-06-2021, 07:42 AM
Or put very little mileage on it. I won’t comment about the mileage on mine

MisterSnoop
04-06-2021, 07:54 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear; that really stinks. I guess that's too deep for one of those "Dent Doctors." But this brings up another pet peeve I have and that is that most people are too damn lazy, oblivious and inconsiderate to bring the shopping carts back to where they belong, leaving them strewn around the lot. So someone's laziness just cost you $900.00, plus the time and aggravation to get it repaired.Yeah, huge pet peeve of mine as well. Strangely enough, the cart was from a grocery store 1/4 mi away from where I was parked. The lower dent definitely needs to be repainted so I went thru insurance. I'm out the $500 deductible, which still sucks.