PDA

View Full Version : How to properly dry a car with a towel?

Pages : [1] 2

emaxxman
07-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Well, a recent thread on how to properly apply wax got me thinking about drying cars. In the thread, it was mentioned that one should apply wax in a front to back motion (as the wind blows was the description) only as to avoid putting in swirls.

So, how do you 'geeks dry your cars?

Folded towel, slowly pushed along paint
Open towel slowly pulled along paint
Blot car dry with a towel
Air blown dry then wiped with a QD to remove spotsI read on another forum that blotting is the way to go since it minimizes the chance of scratches. I can see where this train of thought is coming from but wonder how likely it is (assuming you're using a quality mf towel.)

I know that I full rinse my car off before drying. I would be very surprised if anything was left on the finish. Then again, can even a gently pushing of folded towel create swirls or scratches over time>

I currently do a combination of #1 and #2 depending on the section of the car.

Your thoughts?

Meghan
07-18-2006, 12:40 PM
I take the nozzle off the hose let the water sheet off the vehicle then do a #2. Not much water left after sheeting!:awesome:

Rapidity
07-18-2006, 12:47 PM
I break out the leaf blower... that gets off 99% of all water. I usually just get the other 1% during the quick detail.

wytstang
07-18-2006, 01:19 PM
I take the nozzle off the hose let the water sheet off the vehicle then do a #2. Not much water left after sheeting!:awesome:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/wytstang/smileys/whatshesaid.bmp

Neothin
07-18-2006, 01:42 PM
I like using a leaf blower. waffle weaves are not as soft as a good plush QD towel is. I'd rather blow the water off and QD the paint than wipe off with a WW towel. Besides, leaf blowers let you get all the water that will eventualy drip out out of the cracks and stuff.

RPM06
07-18-2006, 02:25 PM
I like using a leaf blower. waffle weaves are not as soft as a good plush QD towel is. I'd rather blow the water off and QD the paint than wipe off with a WW towel. Besides, leaf blowers let you get all the water that will eventualy drip out out of the cracks and stuff.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Surfer
07-18-2006, 02:28 PM
I like using a leaf blower. waffle weaves are not as soft as a good plush QD towel is. I'd rather blow the water off and QD the paint than wipe off with a WW towel. Besides, leaf blowers let you get all the water that will eventualy drip out out of the cracks and stuff.Exactly what I do, electric blower to get water off and especially out of nooks and crannies on my truck. Then there is usually still some small water beads left and I'll just use some QD and buff. I don't remember the last time I've really dried with a towel.

belcherm58
07-18-2006, 02:28 PM
I agree with the leaf blower use to get water out of the nooks. I have not
made that purchase yet. It is on the agenda though. I go over the car after
finishing washing and sheet the water off. I then use a Supreme Guzzler
Waffle Weave Towel and Poorboys Spray and Wipe to dry. I find the S&W
will stop any Micro Marring if there is anything at all on the paint. I mist and
wipe. Not a problem yet.

jforget1
07-18-2006, 02:38 PM
I am thinking about getting the Metro vac from AG, can be used as a blower. Have to do a couple more cars to get the money.

Meghan
07-18-2006, 02:50 PM
I am thinking about getting the Metro vac from AG, can be used as a blower. Have to do a couple more cars to get the money.
Yes that Vac is nice, I have used the one here at the shop a few times, I can't bring one home, no room in the garage just yet!:( I have to becareful just opening the garage door, stuff slides out to the driveway!:p

Surfer
07-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Yes that Vac is nice, I have used the one here at the shop a few times, I can't bring one home, no room in the garage just yet!:( I have to becareful just opening the garage door, stuff slides out to the driveway!:pWe have like a 4 car garage, there would be room if you stop buying jetskis and other toys and junk. Woman.....:D

I think everyone should at least have an electric blower, regardless of the funny looks you'll receive, once you use one you'll love it. Makes quick work on my suv.

Rapidity
07-18-2006, 04:07 PM
You do get a lot of funny looks doing it don't you.

Surfer
07-18-2006, 04:13 PM
You do get a lot of funny looks doing it don't you.Landscapers usually give me a look that's a combo of http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0050.gif and http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0043.gif .

Darren F
07-18-2006, 04:29 PM
anyone ever try the Mr Clean Car Wash?

Neothin
07-18-2006, 04:30 PM
I can attest to meghan's garage....

god... does the girl have *anything* that's clean?!