PDA

View Full Version : An argument with a detailer

Pages : [1] 2

TORG
04-01-2021, 05:11 PM
I had my car hand-washed at an auto detailing shop. The car looked nice and shiny right after it had been washed or perhaps, I just wasn't paying attention. An hour later, I noticed a semi-round scratch/swirl on the hood of my car. It APPEARS faint and superficial, although it may not be the case. The picture below makes it look worse than it actually is. I am pretty sure that it wasn't there before I dropped it at the detailing shop.
I talked to the guy on the phone. Of course, he implied that I couldn't see it because the car was dirty and told me that they use only high quality sponges, microfiber and chamois cloth.
I still want to confront him in person.
The swirl/scratch on the hood of my car doesn't appear accidental. It doesn't look like it was made by a buffer or an automatic car wash brush. Even if it had been covered up by a dealer, whatever they used would've been washed away a long time ago. Is there any other possible cause besides improper washing/drying techniques by the detailer?

Bill D
04-01-2021, 05:22 PM
Yikes, if they are using an old fashioned chamois, that may very well be unsafe for the finish. You need someone who uses only the highest quality microfiber mitts and towels. I doubt they are using a foam gun in their technique like I do and really take their time

Rushing and a dirty car is a recipe for disaster!

Rsurfer
04-01-2021, 05:54 PM
There is a good chance this will happen again and again..maybe worse next time unless you wash it yourself.

briarpatch
04-01-2021, 06:09 PM
And this is why I video every vehicle I detail, and ask the customer to do a walk around before they leave at drop off.

2black1s
04-01-2021, 06:09 PM
You want my opinion...

Anyone that has their car washed or detailed by others cannot be closely enough involved to know where every little blemish is on their own car. Other than obvious, gross defects, the smaller blemishes are usually discovered while detailing. So, if you don't wash and/or detail your own car, and do it often, you'll never know where every blemish is, or when it might have happened.

Then to try to lay blame when you do discover a minor blemish is way out-of-line to me. That blemish may have gone unnoticed for a while, especially since you're not maintaining your car yourself, and could have happened anywhere, anytime, anyhow.

Just my two-cents.

Bill D
04-01-2021, 06:14 PM
As the saying goes, if you want it done right you gotta do it yourself.

TORG
04-01-2021, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't call it a minor blemish.

Rsurfer
04-01-2021, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't call it a minor blemish.
You called it faint and superficial and the picture looks worse than it really is. Your words.

dpevans
04-01-2021, 07:18 PM
a sponge? I would never trust anyone with a sponge.

Bill D
04-01-2021, 07:23 PM
No sponges for me either

PaulMys
04-01-2021, 07:29 PM
It APPEARS faint and superficial, although it may not be the case. The picture below makes it look worse than it actually is.

Does the defect catch a fingernail? Do you own a machine polisher?

DETAILROOKIE
04-01-2021, 08:19 PM
That's not a polisher, but could be that chamois. Like everyone said, it could have been there before hand and you didn't notice because you don't maintain the paint. It is your word against his and you have to prove it wasn't there before hand. Even when I take my car in for service, I have them walk the car with me to show them it is babies so don't f it up and I take pics.

If it is at all possible, start maintaining your car so things like this don't happen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

98CayenneTA
04-01-2021, 08:40 PM
You want my opinion...

Anyone that has their car washed or detailed by others cannot be closely enough involved to know where every little blemish is on their own car. Other than obvious, gross defects, the smaller blemishes are usually discovered while detailing. So, if you don't wash and/or detail your own car, and do it often, you'll never know where every blemish is, or when it might have happened.

Then to try to lay blame when you do discover a minor blemish is way out-of-line to me. That blemish may have gone unnoticed for a while, especially since you're not maintaining your car yourself, and could have happened anywhere, anytime, anyhow.

Just my two-cents.

Voice of reason like usual right here :cheers:

FUNX650
04-01-2021, 08:50 PM
The swirl/scratch on the hood of
my car doesn't appear accidental.

I still want to confront him in person.

•I take it that you are implying that this
Detailer purposefully inflicted damage
to/upon your vehicle’s hood?

•Would you be so kind to list your
definition of “to confront”? TIA.

Bob

Daviddear30
04-01-2021, 10:16 PM
This is why I always hated detailing a random person's car. It would be so clean afterwards they'd notice all kinds of stuff that was hidden by poor maintenance.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk