PDA

View Full Version : If you don't wrench on it yourself, do you ask them not to give it a bath

Lance Mark
03-30-2021, 10:49 AM
The folks at my dealership are great, and well intentioned, but I'm not sure I want them ever washing my bike again.

In fact, I intend on asking them not to do the complimentary detailing after my upcoming service. Kind of funny when i think about. I trust them to do my brakes, new tires, big bore kit, tuning, etc....but with something as simple as a wash and dry...sorry guys, but I no longer trust you anyone. I've learned too much.

Guess I'm 'woke' now. :P

Bill D
03-30-2021, 11:18 AM
Be sure to get a do not wash hang tag.

Lance Mark
03-30-2021, 11:57 AM

that's a great tip, thank you

Hermes1
03-30-2021, 12:10 PM
Yes but in most cases since I have a DRW truck which will not fit in most car washes, service centers will not wash my truck. But, for those that hand wash I put a tag I made up in the cab to not wash. I have also observed over the years if you bring the vehicle in for service washed and clean, many will not wash it. Still not a bad idea to mention to the service writer you do not want it washed and hang a tag in the mirror or over the steering wheel not to wash.

Mike Phillips
03-30-2021, 01:06 PM
Here you go, read through this from 2013

DON'T WASH CAR! by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/66855-dont-wash-car-mike-phillips.html)

:)

Bruno Soares
03-30-2021, 01:19 PM
My dealer doesn't wash any cars during service but I still hang 2 tags on my mirror that say don't wash or detail, just in case.

They all compliment my car when I bring it in and can't believe the car is 4 years old. I specifically schedule service for good weather days so I can wash the car and bring it super clean. I believe that anyone that goes to work on a car that is spotless will be at least a little more careful.

2black1s
03-30-2021, 01:52 PM
The way I handle the "DO NOT WASH" thing is to never take anything to a dealer, or other shop, unless there is absolutely no way around it. An expensive warranty job is about the only reason I've ever taken a car or a bike to a shop.

I've even gone as far as performing warranty repairs myself, on my own dime, when the repair wasn't cost prohibitive just so I wouldn't have to take in in to a dealer.

Bill D
03-30-2021, 02:03 PM
I wish I had the skills to do work beyond oil changes. If I have to get work done inevitably, I plan to go to an independent shop that doesn't offer washing the car to begin with.

fly07sti
03-30-2021, 02:34 PM
I’d also like to add to make sure your service writer puts it somewhere on the repair order, which keeps them liable if they “didn’t see” the sign you made or hung on your mirror.

glen e
03-30-2021, 03:10 PM
I put my “do not wash” hangtag on my steering wheel/handlebar, so far after 15 years or so , it works fine.

From the sister site, dunno if they still have the pdf:

MisterSnoop
03-30-2021, 08:13 PM
Autogeek's Do Not Wash Car Hanging Sign (https://www.autogeek.net/do-not-wash-car-sign.html)

PaulMys
03-30-2021, 08:57 PM
NY area sign:

You wash dis car, I break yah frickin head!!

:laughing::laughing:

Coatingsarecrack
03-31-2021, 02:23 AM

Where would you hang it on a bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill D
03-31-2021, 02:27 AM
I guess you would have to make a special sign for a bike. Here’s an opportunity for Autogeek to have one just for that.

Lance Mark
03-31-2021, 08:59 AM
Where would you hang it on a bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll use painters tape to tape a sign to both sides of the tank.

they need a sign....the last time they washed it, the writeup guy at the service counter had to run back into the shop to remind the wash boy to take the sheep's pelt off of the seat before washing the bike

and I have a great dealership....very fair and honest, and they have some great technicians....I recently put the big bore kit in and I wouldn't have anyone else tune an engine, the guy who runs the dyna is well known in the area for his expertise