PDA

View Full Version : Topping Sonax PNS with wax or topping wax with PNS?!

Icarus
03-30-2021, 05:36 AM
I really want to try out Sonax PNS and wondered if anyone topped it with wax to make it slicker? ...or maybe topped their wax coat with PNS?!

I just ordered Sonax Cutmax and 04-06 to do my car with this year (not sure if I'll need the Cutmax.) I wanted to try something else instead of the Meguiars Ultimate Wax or their Gold Class I've been using for years, so thought the PNS might be fun to try...

I've got Sonax BSD that I use time to time as well... Having a black metallic car is hard to make it really pop/gloss without it looking grey/silver...

Think I should try any of this or just stick to the all Sonax line this year on my car?!

FUNX650
03-30-2021, 06:23 AM
I really want to try out Sonax PNS and
wondered if anyone topped it with wax
to make it slicker?

Think I should try any of this or just stick
to the all Sonax line this year on my car?!

From my experiences...I’ve never had
Waxes make Sealants “slicker”.

But that, in no way, does not preclude
you from experimenting with various
types of finishing LSPs as you deem fit.

Bob

Icarus
03-30-2021, 06:48 AM
From my experiences...I’ve never had
Waxes make Sealants “slicker”.

But that, in no way, does not preclude
you from experimenting with various
types of finishing LSPs as you deem fit.

Bob

I read so much on PNS not being 'slick' hence my questions :/
And I meant topping with wax wax, not a LSP...

FUNX650
03-30-2021, 07:01 AM
I read so much on PNS not being 'slick' hence my questions :/
And I meant topping with wax wax, not a LSP...
Isn’t an LSP the product that is
applied during the last step of
the Detailing process?

If so:
Then aren’t Waxes/Sealants/Coatings
prima facie examples of LSPs?

Bob

Icarus
03-30-2021, 04:22 PM
the Detailing process?

If so:

Bob

I've always put wax on last.
Unless its just a quick clean between polish/wax/coating...

R/TED
03-30-2021, 04:46 PM
I polished my daughters car with sonax 04-06 March 2020. Applied PNS, waited 24 hours and topped with BSD. 6 months later the car was beading water like I just applied it. Jump ahead to this past weekend, I washed car and applied another coat of BSD. Still beading water very well. Not the slickest combo I’ve used but, can’t beat the durability unless your applying a true coating.

Icarus
04-01-2021, 12:37 AM
the Detailing process?

If so:

Bob

Whoops my bad, I thought LSP was liquid spray products (like quick detailers etc), sorry! doh! :poke:

Icarus
04-01-2021, 09:26 PM
I've got some Sonax PNS on the way, as well as some other goodies :)

Loach
04-01-2021, 10:31 PM
Prepare yourself for Polymer Net Shield! Definitely one of the best sealants in terms of hydrophobic staying power, but let me warn you about how terrible the wipeoff can be in some situations to fully level out. Don't go too far before wiping it off the paint and work in small sections. Ultimate and Gold Class are pretty much a dream to work with in comparison.

I would avoid topping PNS with anything heavy like a paste or liquid wax, those will just cover up that great performance. If you're trying to boost the slickness, you're likely to loose some of that top notch beading in the process. Even something lighter like Bead Maker that might play well on some coatings can reduce that tight beading of PNS. I would recommend sticking with BSD for maintenance, but eventually I would like to test how the new Sonax Ceramic Spray Coating and Ceramic Detailer would do on top of PNS.

mwoolfso
04-01-2021, 10:58 PM
You can top PNS with any sealant or wax that has the slickness properties you are looking for, including quick detailers.