PDA

View Full Version : Random thought about the marketing of car care products

Pages : [1] 2

vaca22
03-23-2021, 01:21 PM
Shower thought - I'm having a really hard time trying to think of any type of advertising that I've seen (print or otherwise) from any of these fine companies that we get products from. Maybe I've seen a Meguiar's or Mothers ad in a Car & Driver magazine at a barber shop or something, but if I did it was a LONG time ago.

Do these establishments ever spend money on marketing, or is this a word-of-mouth kind of industry? I feel like there has to be some kind of opportunity to gain at least a little market share now that many of us are spending more time at the homestead and doing some hobby cleaning.

Klasse Act
03-23-2021, 02:14 PM
YouTubers do it for them[emoji362][emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vaca22
03-23-2021, 02:25 PM
YouTubers do it for them[emoji362][emoji6]

A very good point!

Bill D
03-23-2021, 02:28 PM
Meguiar’s has always done marketing in ads in print and on TV as well as at events. They are the top detailing company I can think of in terms of marketing/advertising. Maybe Mother’s is second?

Detailing companies are a bit different with their marketing /advertising than say your typical consumer packaged goods company. I bet they do rely a lot more on word of mouth among retailers and enthusiasts. That’s why us crazy detailing addicts come to forums like this—to find out what everyone is using, what everyone likes, what everyone dislikes, etc. Autopia and Autogeek must be gold mines of qualitative info for the detailing companies.

Bruno Soares
03-23-2021, 02:31 PM
Yeah, it's all about YouTube. Think about all the junk products you can instantly think of because you see on Youtube but then try to think of good ones and we only know them because we are into detailing, most people that aren't into it but still want a car looking good will probably think of F11 or some crap like that as soon as you mention detailing. Just because that's what they hear on YouTube all the time.

My brother works for Google and his job is to sell ads. He says many companies now invest 100% of their marketing in digital ads. Others, old school ones, are still investing in TV/magazine/newspaper and they're basically wasting money. No one watches commercials anymore, we all record what we like to see and fast forward commercials. And who browses a magazine or newspaper anymore?

Klasse Act
03-23-2021, 02:50 PM
F11 is no joke[emoji849][emoji39][emoji1787]

JDGolden
03-23-2021, 06:51 PM
Remember this Meguiars commercial?

Meguiar's(R) Ultimate Quik Wax(R) Commercial - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1_adVR9b5E)

PaulMys
03-23-2021, 07:35 PM
Also....... Think about what we always say here on AGO:

We are the 1%ers. The other 99% couldn't care less (or even know what to do) with these products.

And IMO, are way too lazy to even invest the time to learn how to use them, let alone use them in practice.

Advertising personnel are very savvy. They know that a TV ad for a specialty car care product would be a waste of money. (Meg's and Mothers are in Walmarts, so they can afford to throw one out there on occasion....)

Social media on the other hand, can pinpoint interests with information gleaned from viewing history with pinpoint accuracy.

JDGolden
03-24-2021, 02:08 PM
Also....... Think about what we always say here on AGO:

We are the 1%ers. The other 99% couldn't care less (or even know what to do) with these products.

Should have seen people's head spin when they asked which wax I used on my Camaro (Dodo Juice Orange Crush). They never heard of it and asked how much it cost ($55). The funny thing about it, one of them had a new ZL1. But my wax was too expensive. lol

Klasse Act
03-24-2021, 02:32 PM
Should have seen people's head spin when they asked which wax I used on my Camaro (Dodo Juice Orange Crush). They never heard of it and asked how much it cost ($55). The funny thing about it, one of them had a new ZL1. But my wax was too expensive. lolToo exoensive[emoji1787]

It's TRUE you don't have to spend alot but the burgundy Megs bottle doesn't get the job done anymore, sorry[emoji849]

BudgetPlan1
03-24-2021, 06:37 PM
I think what limited 'traditional' advertising they do is pretty targeted. I've seen a few ads for 303 Graphene on MotorTrend recently, Turtle Wax new stuff too. Meguiars just ran on channel Barrett Jackson is on.

The 303 Graphene surprised me when I saw the commercial.

Coatingsarecrack
03-24-2021, 06:37 PM
F11 is no joke[emoji849][emoji39][emoji1787]

You accidentally put the word “no” in your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
03-24-2021, 06:41 PM

Cut it out. My wife uses this on her toenails. ;)

Coatingsarecrack
03-24-2021, 06:42 PM
Should have seen people's head spin when they asked which wax I used on my Camaro (Dodo Juice Orange Crush). They never heard of it and asked how much it cost ($55). The funny thing about it, one of them had a new ZL1. But my wax was too expensive. lol

Woulda been funny if his ZL1 was the orange crush color...

I was on the Chevelles forum and someone asked about washing your car w/o water.

These are people who cherish their cars but just don’t get it.

Their was Mf and just water wipe down, a couple mentioned QD’s, foaming window cleaner and of corse the good ol California Car Duster!

Klasse Act
03-24-2021, 06:48 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSorry...there's no "tongue in cheek" emojis [emoji39] Its a direct quote from the joke infomercial itself. Sad thing though, someone, somewhere has their feet kicked up and taking it easy from THAT product. At the very least they bought a nice ride or paid off their mortgage I bet[emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]