PDA

View Full Version : Mike Phillips- Autogeek Polisher Purchase follow up

jas02ta
03-22-2021, 04:36 PM
Hello Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my email regarding my polishing tool dilemma questions today! I have a few follow up questions before I start my purchases, so I値l be sure to post in the forums from here on out.

First, I知 going to order the FLEX Supa BEAST per your recommendation, but should I return my Milwaukee rotary? (I still have time to get my money back from where I purchased it.) Not sure if a rotary is necessary since I will only be polishing family/friends vehicles. There may be times to wet sand, but I highly doubt it would be an entire vehicle, so I知 thinking the Supa Beast will have me covered. Please correct me if I知 wrong.

Second, you mentioned to follow up with a Porter Cable instead of the Supa Beast to remove rotary holograms on softer paints, but would that still be necessary if I were using the Supa Beast from the start and not a rotary? (I also plan to use the Supa Beast for 1 step corrections.) If yes, would the Griots G9 do the trick too instead of the Porter Cable, or is that too powerful?

Lastly, with the Supa Beast in hand, should I also get a mini polisher like the Griots G8? Looking to cover all my basis.

Thanks again Mike!

Mike Phillips
03-23-2021, 08:49 AM
Hang tight - just got on the forum

:)

Mike Phillips
03-23-2021, 09:01 AM
Hello Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my email regarding my polishing tool dilemma questions today! I have a few follow up questions before I start my purchases, so I’ll be sure to post in the forums from here on out.

First, I’m going to order the FLEX Supa BEAST per your recommendation, but should I return my Milwaukee rotary? (I still have time to get my money back from where I purchased it.) Not sure if a rotary is necessary since I will only be polishing family/friends vehicles. There may be times to wet sand, but I highly doubt it would be an entire vehicle, so I’m thinking the Supa Beast will have me covered. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

For your style of detailing. I would return the rotary and get the Supa BEAST. If the rotary you bought is the cordless version, the one thing this would be good for is machine scrubbing tires as well as other things. I have countless articles showing me using the cordless FLEX PE14 rotary with a DA brush attached to scrub,

Tires
Carpet and upholstery
Vinyl tops

If the above is not crucial to the cars you own and for example, you're good with scrubbing tires by hand with a brush, then by all means, return the rotary and get the Supa Beast.

Second, you mentioned to follow up with a Porter Cable instead of the Supa Beast to remove rotary holograms on softer paints, but would that still be necessary if I were using the Supa Beast from the start and not a rotary? (I also plan to use the Supa Beast for 1 step corrections.) If yes, would the Griots G9 do the trick too instead of the Porter Cable, or is that too powerful?

Here's the deal - rotary polishers or rotary buffers instill hologram scratches into the surface being polished. Depending upon a number of factors, a lot of the time the human eye may not see them but they are thier still teh same.

So if you're going to start with a rotary, simply finish with any orbital and the oscillating action of the orbital will work-out the holograms scratches.

SO - if you're going to return the rotary - then you only really need one orbital. The Porter Cable and the Griot's G9 are great choices for free spinning random orbital polishers and can tackle anything with enough time and technique. When you move up to a gear-driven orbital - it will cost more money but will safe you time AND technique because there's no pad stalling.

As the new FLEX slogan goes,

The FLEX BEASTS - All Brawl, Zero Stall

Hear the new slogan at the end of this TV commercial.

https://youtu.be/RNT9Vp-2efY

Lastly, with the Supa Beast in hand, should I also get a mini polisher like the Griots G8? Looking to cover all my basis.

Thanks again Mike!

The Griot's G8, like the G9 has a ton of power for a free spinning tool. And "yes" with this tool and the 3" and 2" backing plate, you can tackle thin panels without buffing on raised body lines or edges.

The bigger picture is this, once you get the Supa BEAST - if you spend enough time with it, you can make it buff any section of paint simply learning how to go up on edge. When I buff out cars, I try to buff as much of the car as I can with just the tool in my hand. And in most cases, I can get 97% of all panels with the Supa BEAST.

Hope that helps...

Mike Phillips
03-23-2021, 09:05 AM
Here's two areas of an old 2-door Chevy I used a cordless rotary to tackle,

Here's the old 2-door Chevy,

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210320/2e86ea796e3436745f476035593e4a49.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210320/66d9c94ebaf5c93d2f1b4945993ddb8e.jpg

I machine scrubbed the carpets and then rinsed and blotted dry.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210320/8a94c579a0518fe91bfc7f52a857a0eb.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210320/550adad02cdb483f1f33924d8a3b99ca.jpg

I machine scrubbed the Gangster White Walls to remove the browning off the white rubber, then dressed.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210320/fa42bdc2815e7fb88ff5ab324a267e9c.jpg

98CayenneTA
03-23-2021, 11:15 AM
As one that does a lot of rotary cutting then finishing with a free spinning da, if you won't be cleaning up wet sanding marks, if time is of no concern meaning you don't do it for a living, if you've never used a rotary.....I would probably skip the rotary if this is going to be more of a hobby.

I myself, (late to the force rotation party) have recently purchased the FLEX Supa BEAST and am absolutley in love with it. You can pretty much get to wherever you wanna be with a correction with this tool one way or another.

- Wont cut as fast as a rotary but finishes down MUCH better. You can still get there, just might take a tit longer.

- For doing a one step correction there really is nothing that can beat it.

- Imo the Supa BEAST cuts much better than a 21mm free spinning da and you don't have to get fancy, standing on your head while polishing to prevent pad stall like the 21mm.

Just some thoughts....

Mike Phillips
03-23-2021, 11:44 AM
A whole bunch of good stuff cut out...

For doing a one step correction there really is nothing that can beat it.

I agree and I do a lot of one-steps. I like to say it like this,

With the FLEX BEAST - you can plow through a car as fast as humanly possible while still maintaining pro-level results.

:buffing:

jas02ta
03-23-2021, 12:36 PM
For your style of detailing. I would return the rotary and get the Supa BEAST. If the rotary you bought is the cordless version, the one thing this would be good for is machine scrubbing tires as well as other things. I have countless articles showing me using the cordless FLEX PE14 rotary with a DA brush attached to scrub,

Tires
Carpet and upholstery
Vinyl tops

If the above is not crucial to the cars you own and for example, you're good with scrubbing tires by hand with a brush, then by all means, return the rotary and get the Supa Beast.

Here's the deal - rotary polishers or rotary buffers instill hologram scratches into the surface being polished. Depending upon a number of factors, a lot of the time the human eye may not see them but they are thier still teh same.

So if you're going to start with a rotary, simply finish with any orbital and the oscillating action of the orbital will work-out the holograms scratches.

SO - if you're going to return the rotary - then you only really need one orbital. The Porter Cable and the Griot's G9 are great choices for free spinning random orbital polishers and can tackle anything with enough time and technique. When you move up to a gear-driven orbital - it will cost more money but will safe you time AND technique because there's no pad stalling.

As the new FLEX slogan goes,

The FLEX BEASTS - All Brawl, Zero Stall

Hear the new slogan at the end of this TV commercial.

https://youtu.be/RNT9Vp-2efY

The Griot's G8, like the G9 has a ton of power for a free spinning tool. And "yes" with this tool and the 3" and 2" backing plate, you can tackle thin panels without buffing on raised body lines or edges.

The bigger picture is this, once you get the Supa BEAST - if you spend enough time with it, you can make it buff any section of paint simply learning how to go up on edge. When I buff out cars, I try to buff as much of the car as I can with just the tool in my hand. And in most cases, I can get 97% of all panels with the Supa BEAST.

Hope that helps...

Yes, that does help! Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions! Sounds like the Supa BEAST will handle all my detailing needs along with the smaller g8 for smaller panels that I can稚 get with the Supa BEAST. My Milwaukee rotary is the cordless M18 Fuel, so I値l probably return it. Really like cordless tools, so the cbeast was also a viable option, but the Supa BEAST appears to be the winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

jas02ta
03-23-2021, 12:40 PM
As one that does a lot of rotary cutting then finishing with a free spinning da, if you won't be cleaning up wet sanding marks, if time is of no concern meaning you don't do it for a living, if you've never used a rotary.....I would probably skip the rotary if this is going to be more of a hobby.

I myself, (late to the force rotation party) have recently purchased the FLEX Supa BEAST and am absolutley in love with it. You can pretty much get to wherever you wanna be with a correction with this tool one way or another.

- Wont cut as fast as a rotary but finishes down MUCH better. You can still get there, just might take a tit longer.

- For doing a one step correction there really is nothing that can beat it.

- Imo the Supa BEAST cuts much better than a 21mm free spinning da and you don't have to get fancy, standing on your head while polishing to prevent pad stall like the 21mm.

Just some thoughts....

Thanks for your insight. I知 new to the detailing world, so I greatly appreciate feedback from those who have already walked the talk. I知 like a sponge absorbing more knowledge each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)