PDA

View Full Version : Greasy Mess from dealer

cgdalton
03-22-2021, 10:24 AM
Well, we pulled the trigger and got a new family hauler. 2018 Odyssey in red. I’m actually pretty happy with it since it’s not my daily [emoji23]

But I need some input. I couldn’t get to them fast enough before the kid with a greasy towel got to it. It has been sitting on the lot for 4 months so it wasn’t pleasant. They meant well, but I didn’t want the greasy junk all over it. So now it’s more of a mess. Any pro tips on cutting through all that? I was planning on using a dedicated strip wash, claying, etc. but I wanted to see if y’all had any pro tips.

Also, the bright work trim is pretty funky and cloudy. What’s the best approach to cleaning that up? Didn’t know if metal polish would be to harsh or not.

Thanks!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210322/1ab5d8542dcc936545eaa3c8d67983c5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210322/cef4084fb378882545d4cf94b976425e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210322/0b445cf87ad44ca4549ddeb2e388e7bb.jpg

2black1s
03-22-2021, 10:49 AM
After you wash and clay the paint, what is your plan from there... Dedicated polish followed by a LSP, or a cleaner wax/AIO? By hand or machine? For a family truckster like yours I'd probably go with a machine application of an AIO.

And the AIO is a very safe first step for cleaning up the brightwork. If it's not enough then you could try some dedicated metal polish.

I'm not recommending any specific products because there are so many good ones and everyone will have their own opinion there. Pick a brand you like and trust and have at it.

cgdalton
03-22-2021, 10:54 AM
Doh. Yeah, important detail there.

Yeah, I'm gonna polish it because there are some spots that need it. I would really like to try ceramic coating it just to make future maintenance easier, but I've never done one and they honestly intimidate me a little. I've got BF One Step that I've used a a few cars now and I've been pretty happy with the results.

2black1s
03-22-2021, 11:03 AM
If you want to try a coating, use a spray coating product. I've never used one but they sound like a piece-of-cake to apply. And I think BF has one that you can use right over the BF One Step.

Mike Phillips
03-22-2021, 11:57 AM
I couldn’t get to them fast enough before the kid with a greasy towel got to it.

Just I understand...

Where is the greasy mess?

Inside?
Tires?

It's not the paint is it?

:)

cgdalton
03-22-2021, 12:02 PM
So they did get the tires. I believe what I’m seeing on the paint is just old, dried tree sap. But the tire dressing definitely did fling up to the paint.

Interior has been hit too. Leather is super slick, instrument cluster and windows are disgusting, and the dash is oily.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Mike Phillips
03-22-2021, 03:57 PM
For the interior, you might get away with something super simple and super safe, either

Mothers Speed Interior Detailer (https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-speed-interior-detailer.html)

Or

Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer (https://www.autogeek.net/mg13616.html)

That's what I would try first. If one of the above doesn't work then you'll probably need a dedicated APC

For tires? Any quality dedicated tire cleaner and lots of scrubbing.

It's sad what dealerships do to car.

:dunno:

Bruno Soares
03-22-2021, 05:54 PM
It’s not even an old car, why do they do that? Not like they need to hide fading trim and stuff. Such a shame. And some might actually think a shiny interior is nice.

cgdalton
03-22-2021, 06:35 PM
Update: did a little bit of work this afternoon after work.

Mike, as always, was spot on for the tires. Meguiar’s wheel and tire cleaner full strength, and lots of scrubbing with a tire brush.

I went ahead and washed and clayed and put down some spray wax. I’ll tackle polishing another time.

I tried leather cleaner on the seats with no luck. So APC 4:1 it was. It did the job but I ran out of time. So the front two are done and the glass is cleaned haha

PaulMys
03-22-2021, 08:01 PM
It’s not even an old car, why do they do that? Not like they need to hide fading trim and stuff. Such a shame. And some might actually think a shiny interior is nice.

Bruno-

As you know, I work at a dealership. (Our local Ford dealer, but it really doesn't matter what brand).

I cannot even look at what the "detail department" does to a new car/truck.

But, 99.9% of customers have no clue, don't care about it, and think their new swirled-out car is just DANDY!

Makes me sick, but I just turn my head as I go about my own business. :/

cgdalton
03-23-2021, 07:58 AM
I’m sure they mean well. And to someone that doesn’t care (or really, know better), it’s a good enough job. But I think spending the time with it and doing the job properly is why people say “Wow! It looks better than new!” Because people assume that how it looks from the dealer is how it’s suppose to look.

Mike Phillips
03-23-2021, 09:43 AM
But, 99.9% of customers have no clue, don't care about it, and think their new swirled-out car is just DANDY!

Yup.

I recently took our Honda to the Honda dealership for scheduled maintenance. They have a swirl-O-matic car wash set just past the service entrance. Of course I told them "Don't wash Car", which they complied.

While waiting I watched car after car go through the swirl-O-matic car wash. When paying my bill, the customer across from me was asked if he would like the complimentary wash while getting his brand new Honda serviced and he was so happy to say "yes" and get a free wash job.

:laughing:

Mike Phillips
03-23-2021, 09:44 AM
But I think spending the time with it and doing the job properly is why people say

“Wow! It looks better than new!”

Because people assume that how it looks from the dealer is how it’s suppose to look.

Agree. The masses have been conditioned to accept mediocre.

:)

sudsmobile
03-24-2021, 07:40 AM
...was so happy to say "yes" and get a free wash job.

:laughing:

You get what you pay for. :D