PDA

View Full Version : Goal for first go at it....Do No Harm

Lance Mark
03-22-2021, 10:05 AM
Hello all. As for a first go at doing some cleaning and correcting, I realize this is a very small step, but a lot of time and thought went into this before I did the practice run. I took some pics. I did not do the entire truck, I have a G8. It would have taken me way too long. I got the G8 for my motorcycle. I'm practicing on vehicles in which I'm less emotionally attached before I do the Harley.

This is the front quarter panel of my '08 GMC Sierra. It used to be an every day driver. I don't really use it anymore, but it's always nice to have it around if I need a pickup truck.

I used the G8 polisher.
I used Reset wash and the whole truck got a proper wash, two bucket method.

I only did the following to the front quarter panel.

Wolfgang Clay Bar and Lube
Gyeon Iron Remover
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover with Griot's Orange Correcting Pad
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze with Griot's Black Finishing Pad
BlackICE Liquid Wax, applied on low with the G8 and a fresh finishing pad.

Things I learned:

Gyeon's Iron remover is some pretty odoriferous stuff, but even though I washed and rinsed thoroughly and properly, within 30 seconds of applying the iron remover, the panel was streaked and ribboning with purple.
Clay barring completes me. I really enjoyed that part of the prep.
Do not start the polisher before putting it down on the surface of the vehicle.
Do not lift the polisher off of the surface before stopping the wheel.
Do not tackle too big of an area. I felt like the quarter panel was a manageable area to do at once. Nope, especially for a G8 3".
Using a polisher like a G8 is going to take some practice. There is a sweet spot for how much pressure needs to be applied and right now, i'm able to get it into that sweet spot, but it will be a while before it's second nature. It can deceivingly seem like it's working. You have to watch and you have to mark the pads to making watching it easier.

My goal was to do no harm and to improve the panel. Again, this was my first go at it. I had a hard time, at first, applying the right amount of pressure the G8, so I'm not sure that my time using the Total Swirl remover was as effective as it could have been. By the time I was ending that process, I started to find my groove. The Polishing Glaze step went way better. The paint looked really great after the glaze was removed. I applied vey light pressure when i applied the liquid wax and after I did that, I took the pad off and went over the entire panel again by hand making sure there was a good even coat on the entire surface. I rubbed it off and buffed with a MF towel about an hour later. I am not sure applying the was with the G8 was a lot different than had I just applied it by hand.

Looking forward to the next project. I have the G9 coming and I'm going to do a few more panels on my truck and then start on my wife's 300.

Mike Phillips
03-22-2021, 10:23 AM
I say,

CONGRATULATIONS!

Looks great to me!

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/show-n-shine/72848d1616423375-goal-first-go-do-no-harm-img_1580-jpg

And now you can build on this success moving forward.

If you haven't watched this video yet, take a few minutes to watch. It covers ALL the techniques for using the Griot's G9

https://youtu.be/ulWXODgg8V4

Good job! :dblthumb2:

2black1s
03-22-2021, 10:59 AM
Looks great! Break out the Harley!

Lance Mark
03-22-2021, 11:00 AM
Thanks Mike. I honestly would not have been able to pull it off without the help I got from you and the folks here.

The next time will come out better.

I'll be sure to check out the video. Once I have a bit of time working with the polishers, I'm going to dig into the bike. I plan on taking my time with it and doing a write up in the bike section here. I'll be sure to take lots of before and after pics.

MisterSnoop
03-22-2021, 11:34 AM
Glad it went well. The G8 is smoother to me than the G9. One other tip when you move onto other panels is to put the cord over your shoulder.

vobro
03-22-2021, 11:55 AM
Good for you, one can read and watch how to videos forever but nothing beats hands on experience. The feel of the tool, what the tool is doing and just getting experience is the best way to learn

Lance Mark
03-22-2021, 12:30 PM
2black1s....a bit more practice....but I'm anxious to get started on it

MisterSnoop....i had seen that tip and it makes a big difference, thanks.....i used the same technique with sanders when painted in another life

one thing I didn't expect was how with a polisher like mine, it's not super easy to see that it's not spinning, I was sure I'd be able to tell, then I'd look at it and see it's not spinning, it's just shaking a whole lot

as strange as this may sound, I thought clay barring would be gratifying, but it was uber gratifying.....as I lubed up a small section and ran the clay over the surface, every once in a while I could feel it grab a particulate, i'd work the clay, fold it, go over the same spot and enjoy the feeling of it gliding over the surface.....every once in a while, I'm not sure if I was imagining it, but if it was quiet, I felt like I could hear a tiny little tick when the clay grabbed and dislodged a particulate

JDGolden
03-22-2021, 02:37 PM
You did well. Reading your post I can tell that you “get it” and will do a fine job on that Harley. You’re right, you usually can hear clay working it’s magic.

MisterSnoop
03-22-2021, 03:04 PM
one thing I didn't expect was how with a polisher like mine, it's not super easy to see that it's not spinning, I was sure I'd be able to tell, then I'd look at it and see it's not spinning, it's just shaking a whole lot

that's where the G9 will be easier since the backing plate is larger and sticks out more

PaulMys
03-22-2021, 05:09 PM

Make sure you mark your backing plate (Make a white line on the back of it with a paint pen). That way you can easily see when it stops rotating.

As you gain time on the machine(s), you will be able to feel when it stops spinning.

The truck fender looks GREAT!