PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean inside of shop vac hose?

Wknd Dtlr
03-21-2021, 01:49 PM
I did a search and couldn't find where this has been discussed before. What is the best way to clean the inside of a shop vac hose? I have the smaller diameter RIDGID detailing hose. It's seen a fair amount of duty, including water extraction of carpets.

I'm sure it's getting nasty inside. Does anybody else clean theirs every now and then? If so, how? Or, is it no big deal and no need to think about it?

Thanks.

2black1s
03-21-2021, 02:24 PM
I don't think there is any good way and even if there was, what's the point? Anything in the hose is being drawn to the cannister.

That said, if I were to try to clean one I'd probably fill the vac hose with a mixture of an APC and let it soak/dwell for a period. Then flush it out with a garden hose with as much flow as possible.

If that doesn't result is a satisfactory clean, then I'd try to find a bottle brush of some nature, attach it to some kind of extension, run it through the vac hose, and do this in combination with the above flush method.

If that's not good enough... Forget about it and/or buy a new hose.

Me... I've never even considered doing this and probably never will.

Wknd Dtlr
03-21-2021, 02:48 PM
I don't think there is any good way and even if there was, what's the point? Anything in the hose is being drawn to the cannister.

Me... I've never even considered doing this and probably never will.

That's sort of what I thought but after I emptied my shop vac today it was nasty and got me to thinking so I figured I check in with my detailing friends! Thanks for the reply.

FUNX650
03-21-2021, 02:56 PM
If you don’t have a pressure washer; then...

(According to google):
There are “pipe cleaners/clog removers” that
will attach to standard water/garden hoses.
https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/94B09546-5C86-4D8A-BF35-85BB6255EBC2.jpeg

Bob

IH8SPM
03-21-2021, 04:26 PM
The best way I found to clean this was with a dryer rotary lint brush attached to a drill.
1. Cap off one end with tape of cover if choice.
2. Poor apc directly into the other end and slosh around.
3.Insert rotary brush sprayed down with more APC and go town till your satisfied.

Enjoy.
BTW search Google or HD for the product

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

sudsmobile
03-21-2021, 06:31 PM
Seriously, how much is your time worth? If it's nasty buy a new one.

Eric7810
03-22-2021, 07:58 PM
I don’t give a rats ass how much dirt or dust is on the inside of my hose. It’s air flow only goes one way, and that’s into the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don M
03-22-2021, 08:53 PM
When I had to clean out a .... "poopy mess'' my dog left in the back of the wife's SUV, I wanted to clean out the hose of my wet vac. I had the bright idea to take the hose off the machine and put it over the discharge pipe of our washing machine, then run the other end to the floor drain. A load of laundry later, the vacuum hose was nice & clean having had hot, soapy water run through it followed by clean water from the rinse cycle.

dgage
03-22-2021, 10:27 PM
When I had to clean out a .... "poopy mess'' my dog left in the back of the wife's SUV, I wanted to clean out the hose of my wet vac. I had the bright idea to take the hose off the machine and put it over the discharge pipe of our washing machine, then run the other end to the floor drain. A load of laundry later, the vacuum hose was nice & clean having had hot, soapy water run through it followed by clean water from the rinse cycle.

I thought for sure this wasn’t going to turnout well after reading that phrase. Good idea though. :)

Don M
03-22-2021, 11:32 PM
I thought for sure this wasn’t going to turnout well after reading that phrase. Good idea though. :)

LOL