PDA

View Full Version : Can I apply Meguiars Liquid Wax on top of Mothers CMX?

Mosaud1998
03-21-2021, 10:22 AM
I detailed my car yesterday (Clayed and I put one Layer of CMX yesterday. I'll put another layer on today).

I usually wax first then put two layers of CMX but I was told in a BMW forum that I am wasting the CMX by apply it on top of the wax.

They told me to apply CMX first then a layer of carnauba wax or liquid wax on top for extra shine and protection.

Not sure which way is the best or if I should even apply wax on top of the CMX.

So, I though I'd ask people with more knowledge.

2black1s
03-21-2021, 10:30 AM
I'm not a coating guy... But... If I used a spray-on coating like the Mothers CMX I wouldn't be topping it with anything other than another coat of itself.

Mosaud1998
03-21-2021, 10:37 AM
I'm not a coating guy... But... If I used a spray-on coating like the Mothers CMX I wouldn't be topping it with anything other than another coat of itself.

Welp, I guess I'll just add another coat of CMX today.

PA DETAILER
03-21-2021, 10:43 AM
I AGREE. I would not throw just any wax in the mix. CMX should be a stand alone product. If anything, use their new bead booster to maintain it. That should play very well with the CMX.

Mothers Ultimate Hybrid Ceramic Detailer & Bead Booster (autogeek.net) (https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-ceramic-detailer.html)

Now their booster wax would also play well with it.

Mothers Ultimate Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax (https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-ceramic-spray-wax.html)

FUNX650
03-21-2021, 12:38 PM
I detailed my car yesterday (Clayed and I put one Layer of CMX yesterday. I'll put another layer on today).

I usually wax first then put two layers of CMX but I was told in a BMW forum that I am wasting the CMX by apply it on top of the wax.

They told me to apply CMX first then a layer of carnauba wax or liquid wax on top for extra shine and protection.

According to the Manufacturer...I don’t see
why you can’t apply the CMX whenever, or
wherever, in the last step process(es) that
you so desire.

From the “horse’s mouth”:
CMX Ceramic Spray Coating FAQ
– Mothers(R) Polish (https://mothers.com/pages/cmx-ceramic-spray-coating-faq)

Can it be used as a booster?
Yes. CMX® Ceramic Spray Coating can be used
as a stand-alone ceramic coating, or as a booster
over existing ceramic coatings or waxes.

Bob

mwoolfso
03-22-2021, 04:59 PM

CMX is a sub-standard product relative to it's marketing. It never lived up to expectations on this forum that's for sure.

Basically, it is a sealant with some ceramic properties IMHO (and I own the product). As a result, my opinion is based on best practice.... waxes can be applied over sealants.

Mosaud1998
03-22-2021, 07:27 PM
Welp, looks like I'll apply Liquid Wax over the two coats of CMX tonight

mwoolfso
03-28-2021, 10:10 AM
Welp, looks like I'll apply Liquid Wax over the two coats of CMX tonight

FYI.. Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax is a sealant and not a wax. Wax in the name of the product is marketing. In my way of thinking, a ceramic base layer, toppped with a polymer sealant is also within the basic rules.

UncleDavy
03-28-2021, 10:26 AM
I bought Mothers CMX when it first came out and it is not a bad product. I just wish it had more longevity. I can get more life out of Turtle Wax Seal N Shine or Griots 3 in 1.