PDA

View Full Version : Question on this GM paint.

Fye456
03-17-2021, 08:04 PM
Hi there, I have a 2003 white sierra that needs to be polished out. Needs to be washed, clayed, etc. Does anyone know what pads I should start with? Of course pictures will not upload haha. and if this white paint is single stage? Called a couple dealers and they are not helpful

Thanks.

98CayenneTA
03-17-2021, 08:39 PM
From the factory it would be base coat/ clear coat.

Fye456
03-17-2021, 09:21 PM
Thanks! Appreciate it.

Goonie75
03-17-2021, 10:07 PM
Some Toyota white on trucks is single stage. But typically gm is bc/cc....

Depends on what you're after.... a quicker combo im quite fond of is the LC white with 3D One.

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (https://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

3D One (https://www.autogeek.net/3d-one.html)

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Coatingsarecrack
03-18-2021, 03:15 AM
I’m getting ready for spring coating and was going to ask same question..... hope OP is ok with it didn’t want to start different thread with same exact question.

2018 Summit white Camaro..... single stage or BC/CC? Googles wasn’t much help....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98CayenneTA
03-18-2021, 05:01 AM
I’m getting ready for spring coating and was going to ask same question..... hope OP is ok with it didn’t want to start different thread with same exact question.

2018 Summit white Camaro..... single stage or BC/CC? Googles wasn’t much help....

Bc/cc

Mike Phillips
03-18-2021, 08:36 AM
Hi there, I have a 2003 white sierra that needs to be polished out. Needs to be washed, clayed, etc.

Does anyone know what pads I should start with?

Help me help you....

1: What do you have for a POLISHER?

2: What do you have for products?

3: What's the goal? Make the paint shiny or flawless? Making paint shiny is fast and easy. Making paint flawless is time-consuming and difficult. It also requires a LOT more pads.

Of course pictures will not upload ha ha.

I upload hundreds of pictures every month. It's a lot easier to do from a normal laptop or desktop computer, either PC or MAC. Working from your phone or tablet - then yes it's difficult unless you get the TapaTalk app and guess who has an article on this? :laughing:

The easy way to share a picture on a forum - Tapatalk App for your cell phone (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/123572-easy-way-share-picture-forum-tapatalk-app-your-cell-phone.html)

and if this white paint is single stage?

Because it's a 2003 GMC Sierra Truck - unless someone re-painted it using single stage paint - the factory paint will be basecoat/clearcoat.

The only company I know that continues to use a single stage URETHANE paint, (modern paint, just not clearcoated), is Toyota and they only do this with the color white.

Called a couple dealers and they are not helpful

I'm never one to paint with a broad brush and my norm is to give people the beneift of the doubt, but when it comes to Car Dealerships - ugh....

Hope the above helps, will subscribe to this thread to be notified by e-mail if you reply with answers to my questions.

:buffing:

FUNX650
03-18-2021, 10:10 AM
Hi there, I have a 2003 white sierra
that needs to be polished out.

Does anyone know if this white paint
is single stage?

GM called the white paint for the 2003
GMC Sierra “Summit White” (50U). It’s
a BC/CC paint system.

The paint code is located on the “service parts
identification sticker” affixed on the inside of the
glove box. It should look very similar to the one
shown below.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/AEC9098E-336A-4952-9E72-778BEC0491D4.jpeg

•Note @OP:
-The above ‘service parts identification sticker’
is solely intended for illustration purposes; the
paint code number that the red arrow is pointing
to in the above illustration may not be correct for
your particular vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Bob

FUNX650
03-18-2021, 10:41 AM
2018 Summit white Camaro.....
single stage or BC/CC?

GM called the white paint on the 2018
Camaro “Summit White” (GAZ). It’s a
BC/CC paint system.

Note:
The newer Camaro models’ “service parts
identification stickers” can be found at one
of these locations:
-driver-side door jamb; or:
-glove box; or:
-middle console

Bob

Fye456
03-18-2021, 03:55 PM
Help me help you....

1: What do you have for a POLISHER?

2: What do you have for products?

3: What's the goal? Make the paint shiny or flawless? Making paint shiny is fast and easy. Making paint flawless is time-consuming and difficult. It also requires a LOT more pads.

I upload hundreds of pictures every month. It's a lot easier to do from a normal laptop or desktop computer, either PC or MAC. Working from your phone or tablet - then yes it's difficult unless you get the TapaTalk app and guess who has an article on this? :laughing:

The easy way to share a picture on a forum - Tapatalk App for your cell phone (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/123572-easy-way-share-picture-forum-tapatalk-app-your-cell-phone.html)

Because it's a 2003 GMC Sierra Truck - unless someone re-painted it using single stage paint - the factory paint will be basecoat/clearcoat.

The only company I know that continues to use a single stage URETHANE paint, (modern paint, just not clearcoated), is Toyota and they only do this with the color white.

I'm never one to paint with a broad brush and my norm is to give people the beneift of the doubt, but when it comes to Car Dealerships - ugh....

Hope the above helps, will subscribe to this thread to be notified by e-mail if you reply with answers to my questions.

:buffing:

I appreciate the help!

I have a porter cable 7424. Looking at using a 1 step compound/polish. Just looking to take out the heavy swirls. It's a older truck, definitely not going for full correction on it.

Anything you recommend for a 1 step, with orange pads I assume? Probably need 4 pads to do the whole truck I assume.

PaulMys
03-18-2021, 04:28 PM
I appreciate the help!

I have a porter cable 7424. Looking at using a 1 step compound/polish. Just looking to take out the heavy swirls. It's a older truck, definitely not going for full correction on it.

Anything you recommend for a 1 step, with orange pads I assume? Probably need 4 pads to do the whole truck I assume.

Only you can determine what pad works best with a test spot, but I would start with Blackfire One Step.

And you are going to need way more than 4 pads for an entire full sized truck. When pads get saturated with product, they heat up and stop working as they should. (Stop cutting). This prematurely kills the life of the pads.

If you invest a little more on pads at the beginning, you can switch them out often and you will be able to use those pads for years and years with proper care. I have used upward of 20 pads on my full sized Ram. (My avatar pic).

20 is going a little crazy, I'll admit. But the more pads you use, the less they have to work, the better they perform, the easier they are to clean, and the longer they will live.