PDA

View Full Version : Cquartz UK redo questions

kingweb50
03-17-2021, 04:27 AM
About 15 months ago on a new car I corrected and applied Cquartz UK followed by gliss. I think how water acts on the paint there is still some level of cquartz left but figure should be redone soon before it gets too hot for comfort in the garage. Would a "quicker" once over with a medium cut polish on an orange pad be ok choice for prep prior to applying a new coat of cquartz uk and gliss again or does a heavier compound need to be used? I have some menzerna 2500 and also 400 already but could get something different if better choice is recommended. The paint still looks fairly good and is white to begin with.

Bruno Soares
03-17-2021, 06:09 AM
Any polish you have will remove what’s left. There may be more left than you think, try a decontamination wash with Iron X as well, it might just be clogged by contaminants.

If buying a new polish, I’d suggest CarPro Essence, excellent fine polish that is also a primer for CQuartz.

Desertnate
03-17-2021, 07:42 AM
I agree from a protection standpoint the CQuartz UK should still be going strong. I'll typically get at least 24 months if not longer from an application, and I don't top with anything like Gliss, which I'd hope would make it last even longer.

I'd also second Bruno's advice on a good decontamination wash. Hit the car with CarPro's Reset and see how it does. If you're coming off a long winter like I am, it usually takes a couple good hand washings with a regular car wash soap or one washing with Reset to get the coating back to behaving like it should.

Should you decide to polish off the coating, I'd use whatever polish you would normally use when polishing out your car with paint in the condition you see it today. A quality finishing polish and a medium cut pad should remove the coating. Let the condition of the paint guide your decision making.

Coatingsarecrack
03-18-2021, 03:29 AM
Yeah if the paint doesn’t need much protection I’d recommend Essence also. It removed month old CQUK3 by hand so should remove your coating.

I decon washed mine with an Alkaline soap at about that time (1.5 yrs) and came back just fine. Was happy enough with it just topped with CanCoat.

I did wash with Reset abd wasn’t happy with it. I then decided to try Mckee’s Coating prep soap (foam, dwell, rinse and then 2 bucket) and was amazed how much better it was.

Give it a wash with an alkaline soap and if it doesn’t bounce back, polish and coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fly07sti
03-18-2021, 07:56 AM
Lots of good advice here. I use UK almost exclusively and do 4-6 vehicles per month and I believe it should still be there. To piggy back on other's statements by agreeing that before you start polishing everything, try a good decon and wash. If you have or are able to, try a round of IronX followed by a foaming session with a strong soap like Lift or McKee’s prep soap. Followed by bucket wash with Reset. I do this with my own personal cars and many customers. It’s a helluva lot easier than polishing and re coating.
And like Coatingsarecrack mentioned, maybe top with Cancoat (which I also do) or any legitimate topper you have at your disposal.