PDA

View Full Version : List of suggested products

KRiSTiNA2DOPE
03-16-2021, 12:35 PM
Hello all I’m new to the whole car paint detailing. I have a 2007 Mercedes e350 and I want to make it look like it’s dripping if you know what I mean.

any suggestions on what to use it does have some swirling I can post a few pictures after I wash it

thanks

dgage
03-16-2021, 01:12 PM
Welcome! Well, your question will get you more options than we'd likely ever use but I'll take a stab at some. Since hand correcting would take a long time, potentially provide inconsistent results, and give you one heck of a workout, I'm going to link to Mike Phillips intro to machine polishing article.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/111332-heres-what-you-need-get-into-machine-polishing-recommendations-beginner-mike-phillips.html)
Griot G9 is the latest polisher like Mike suggested in that article.

Regarding products, there are many good products for minor corrections and even some with sealants that put down some protection, which are often called All In Ones (not to be confused with All In Ones that correct well and leave a fine finish). For any of these products, start with your least aggressive product and pad combo and then move to more aggressive when testing correcting combinations. Here are some popular products.

Blackfire One Step (AIO w/ protection)
3D One
3D HD Speed (AIO w/protection)
Carpro Essence (AIO w/protection)
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
Rupes Uno Protect (AIO w/protection)
Boss Correcting Creams (Popular SYSTEM with guidance on their pads)

By the way, I put many of the AIOs with protection but if you plan to put on a coating or another protecting product, you really don't need the protection.

KRiSTiNA2DOPE
03-16-2021, 02:18 PM
Appreciate the response. I do have a g9 I just got and I’ve got a couple chemical guys products like jet seal that seams like an easy to use product. I’ve also got a couple griots garage polishing compound and a 3 in 1 that came with my g9

Lance Mark
03-16-2021, 04:17 PM
I'm as new as you, have been looking into what I can do without getting myself into trouble.

My project is a '17 Harley Davidson Street Glide

First thing I learned about was the need to clean it properly and to care for it properly. Why take the time to make it "drip" like you say if bad habits undo the work we do to make them shine. Not sure how new you are but look into the two bucket method.

Second thing I learned about was clay barring. As great as the bike looks, it's not a garage queen. I ride and will ride more. Dual calipers on the front wheel put out a lot of break dust and it's 4 years old. It's been all over the country and in just about every weather condition. It needs to be clay barred.

I have way smaller surfaces but went with a similar polisher. I have the G8 on the way. Mine is the little brother to yours and most agree, these types of polishers are good options for newbs. As well, I plan on using foam pads, again, better for newbs. The smaller G8 will be better for the curves and contours on my bike. I also have a bit of an advantage in that nearly every part that I need to polish can be easily removed and polished on a table.

By recommendation of a poster on an HD site, I was turned on to Wolfgang's Total Swirl Remover and Polishing Glaze. By the word of many who know more than me, also products that when applied right are easy to use.

Once I'm done polishing, I plan on using a prep and doing either BlackICE or Gyeon's CanCoat. The theme, once again, easy to apply and do right.

It was overwhelming at first, and I have a ton to learn still, but there's some good advice and a ton of info here. I don't know about you, but I'm really excited to get started. I'm at the stage where I'm looking out the door to see if anything has come yet.

Good luck. Make that thing "drip".