PDA

View Full Version : Can I use Sonax Flash Rust Remover instead of a clay bar?

XSR
03-12-2021, 04:42 PM
Hello, I was getting a Sonax Flash Rust Remover, and I would like to know if it is possible to use it instead of a clay bar. I Bought my car 2nd hand (gray mazda3), and there are some swirls and spiderweb-like scratches. I want to do a polish, will the Sonax Flash Rust be good to remove dirt and contaminants from my car?

Thanks.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Bill D
03-12-2021, 04:45 PM
Do the baggie test. If the paint is still gritty you'll need to clay to remove the contaminants

sudsmobile
03-12-2021, 07:37 PM
Almost certainly 100% no. I'm not going to say never, but likely no way. That product, although I've never used it, is likely intended to compete with IronX. That is not a replacement for clay and I really don't care how great you think your paint is, you clay before polishing.

Guyb
03-12-2021, 07:54 PM
Best use clay bar or clay mitt/pad/towel. Your Mazda will appreciate it.

2black1s
03-12-2021, 10:20 PM
If I had to pick one vs. the other, an Iron remover or a clay bar, I'd choose the clay bar every time.

If you only want to do one, put the iron remover on the shelf and break out the clay.

psnt1ol
03-13-2021, 12:47 AM
If I had to pick one vs. the other, an Iron remover or a clay bar, I'd choose the clay bar every time.

If you only want to do one, put the iron remover on the shelf and break out the clay.

Best use clay bar or clay mitt/pad/towel. Your Mazda will appreciate it.

Almost certainly 100% no. I'm not going to say never, but likely no way. That product, although I've never used it, is likely intended to compete with IronX. That is not a replacement for clay and I really don't care how great you think your paint is, you clay before polishing.

I agree with everyone above... Given the choices, I would clay. The ideal situation is to do both since an iron remover would make the claying process easier.

XSR
03-13-2021, 02:00 AM
Thank you guys!

What should I do first - clay bar or iron remover?
Can I use the claybar with the sonax iron remover instead of the Quick Detailer?

psnt1ol
03-13-2021, 03:07 AM
Iron remover prior to claying .... I would not use the iron remover to clay with.

I am not a fan of using a detailer as a clay lubricant either. I like the paint to be bare prior to polishing. My favorite lately has been carpro immulube for a dedicated clay lube. A good car soap that rinse clear with no gloss or wax agent would work as well.

Bill D
03-13-2021, 05:26 AM
Bear in mind that clay only removes contaminants at the surface that you can feel. If not chemically deccontaminated, contaminants remain under the surface of the paint. That's why I always chemically decontaminate first and do the baggie test.

FWIW the Valugard ABC system is effective and is approved by vehicle manufacturers. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.