PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler lip coating

2quiker
03-12-2021, 02:33 PM
My daughter has a 2020 Kia Forte and the car has a plastic spoiler lip and I am curious what folks are using to coat it. I have dealt with b-pillars and are pain to keep swirl free. Polishing and making swirl free is not a problem, the problem is what coating works good for these?

Thanks.

Rsurfer
03-12-2021, 03:24 PM
My daughter has a 2020 Kia Forte and the car has a plastic spoiler lip and I am curious what folks are using to coat it. I have dealt with b-pillars and are pain to keep swirl free. Polishing and making swirl free is not a problem, the problem is what coating works good for these?

Thanks.
Use the same coating on the spoiler as the paint.

2quiker
03-12-2021, 04:40 PM
Use the same coating on the spoiler as the paint.

I have put BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating on b-pillars but it did not do anything to protect them. I am curious on what folks are using with success for such things like this.

Rsurfer
03-12-2021, 04:48 PM
I have put BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating on b-pillars but it did not do anything to protect them. I am curious on what folks are using with success for such things like this.
Did you prep with IPA before applying Blackfire coating?

vobro
03-12-2021, 05:06 PM
Are you looking for swirl protection from the coating? If so most coatings won’t offer what you are looking for

The Guz
03-12-2021, 05:12 PM

Use the same coating. If you want to protect against swirls and scratches then remove it and put PPF on it. No coating is going to protect against scratches or swirls from heavy abuse. Especially those pillars that have soft paint.

Mike Hoekstra
03-12-2021, 05:15 PM
I use the same coating as the paint or a plastic coating. Regardless, if it drives through a "swirlomatic" wash it will scratch and micromar the coating. Touchless car wash only.

2quiker
03-12-2021, 06:14 PM
Yes I did IPA.

2quiker
03-12-2021, 06:16 PM
Ok that was what I was trying to get answered. So if coating doesn't protect the b-pillars does it really protect the paint?

Rsurfer
03-12-2021, 06:28 PM
Ok that was what I was trying to get answered. So if coating doesn't protect the b-pillars does it really protect the paint?
It will protect from UV, but not from scratches. You need PPF to protect from scratches to some degree.

dgage
03-12-2021, 06:37 PM
A coating MAY also protect paint by reducing the dirt that sticks and cutting down on the touching by making it easier to clean and dry. But true protection would require PPF.

The Guz
03-12-2021, 07:06 PM

It is a different kind of protection as mentioned by @rsurfer and @dgage. PPF can still swirl so even that has its limits but it will protect better when it comes to scratches.

2quiker
03-13-2021, 11:51 AM
I guess I was kind of surprised that the blackfire coating didn't offer any protection to the bpillars, in my opinion. I am pretty meticulous about my car washes. I coated my 2016 f150 bpillar and the entire trucks paint(dark blue) with the blackfire coating I mention. The bpillars didnt not old up at all but the coating on my paint did very well. After the second wash my bpillar has swarms and paint below looked great and was swirl free. I have tried coating my f150's bpillars numerous times with blackfire coating and the results are always the same. I believe that the blackfire coating does not work with the bpillars plastics.

vobro
03-13-2021, 02:14 PM
All things considered should be the same, b pillars are notorious for swirls. First off they are eye level and angled which will show every swirl, second most people use them to shut the door and fingers along with movement will have an abrasive effect. Fords gloss black b pillars are notorious for this, isn’t the coatings fault or your fault.

We wrapped the pillars on my wife’s car and it’s been holding up well