PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Compounds

Pages : [1] 2 3

Buster906
03-12-2021, 08:37 AM
Cutting Compounds

These are the Cutting Compounds I possess. There are better and improved products available. I have in a shopping cart Jescar cutting polish.

I like M105, the heavy dusting is not favorable.

My selection of polishes are old. I want a cutting polish that cuts well, has a long working time.

I have microfiber cutting pads, foam and wool.

My truck has scratches I want and need to correct. What is the majority consensus?

Thank you for your input.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210312/8740479f9a7882f620b0e06f4fe4366b.jpg

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Mike Hoekstra
03-12-2021, 09:52 AM
Like Mike Phillips always talks about, abrasive technology. I see you have 3D Speed which is a good product for an AIO. 3D One is a fabulous product which also has a long working time and no dusting. Dr. Beasley's NSP primers are also good for longer working times and no dusting. All that said, 3D ONE is a smart abrasive that can be used as a compound or a polish depending on the pad you use with it.

If you want a three step system - Dr. Beasley's NSP series

IF you want to just add one product - 3D One

Mike Hoekstra
03-12-2021, 09:53 AM
Like Mike Phillips always talks about, abrasive technology. I see you have 3D Speed which is a good product for an AIO. 3D One is a fabulous product which also has a long working time and no dusting. Dr. Beasley's NSP primers are also good for longer working times and no dusting. All that said, 3D ONE is a smart abrasive that can be used as a compound or a polish depending on the pad you use with it.

IF you want to just add one product - 3D One

Buster906
03-12-2021, 09:58 AM

IF you want to just add one product - 3D OneWhat product(s) do you recommend as dedicated cutting compounds?

98CayenneTA
03-12-2021, 10:03 AM
What tool are you using?

Da compounds - Menzerna 400 & Sonax Cutmax

Rotary compounds - 3D ACA 500 & 3M Perfect it 1

A lot of area in between also depending on paint hardness and amount of correction needed.

Example.... On reasonably hard paint, a microfiber pad (agressive) paired with something like Menzerna 2500 may get ya were ya need to be in one shot.

The Guz
03-12-2021, 10:07 AM
Sonax Cutmax, Meguiar’s M110 and 3D ACA, CarPro UltraCut

Buster906
03-12-2021, 10:07 AM
What tool are you using?

Da compounds - Menzerna 400 & Sonax Cutmax

Rotary compounds - 3D ACA 500 & 3M Perfect it 1

A lot of area in between also depending on paint hardness and amount of correction needed.

Example.... On reasonably hard paint, a microfiber pad (agressive) paired with something like Menzerna 2500 may get ya were ya need to be in one shot.I have a Rotory. The DA I have are GG 6 and Meguiars MT 300. I do not have a long throw DA.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Buster906
03-12-2021, 10:11 AM
Sonax Cutmax, Meguiar’s M110 and 3D ACA, CarPro UltraCutOf the choices above, which would you choose to use on a 2017 Ram 1500.

Mike Hoekstra
03-12-2021, 11:24 AM
What product(s) do you recommend as dedicated cutting compounds?

How aggressive do you want to be? What is your budget? Do you expect to be taking out scratches? Have you done a test spot on your vehicle to see if the paint is hard or soft? There are a load of questions to be answered to select just a dedicated compound or polish and pad. NSP150 is very aggressive, NSP95 is a medium abrasive, and NSP45 is a soft abrasive. 3D One is a great all-purpose compound that is a "smart abrasive" and can be used as a compound or polish.

If you are going to go straight for cutting only NSP150 or 3D ONE.

Mike Hoekstra
03-12-2021, 11:25 AM
Of the choices above, which would you choose to use on a 2017 Ram 1500.

You need to do a test spot with a pad and product. Start with the least aggressive polish and pad you have. Don't dive head-first in to the most aggressive thing you have on hand. You can easily create more work for yourself.

The Guz
03-12-2021, 11:30 AM
Of the choices above, which would you choose to use on a 2017 Ram 1500.

Cutmax has no dusting out of all of them. So if that is something you prefer then that is the one to go with. It is a great compound.

The UltraCut is nice. CarPro did their homework on this one and got it right. Leagues above their clearcut compound.

I would do a test spot with what you have. In saying that I would upgrade your compound(s) to any of the ones I recommended.

You will not miss M105.

Desertnate
03-12-2021, 12:47 PM
The Blackfire compound is really nice also. It finishes out really nice, long working time, no dusting, and very easy to use. The one drawback is it's a little expensive.

I've heard rave reviews about the Griots BOSS products as well and they are now in my garage. I hope to test them out on a car in about a month.

Buster906
03-12-2021, 01:18 PM
You need to do a test spot with a pad and product. Start with the least aggressive polish and pad you have. Don't dive head-first in to the most aggressive thing you have on hand. You can easily create more work for yourself.I tried M85 and a orange foam pad. Swirls were reduced but not fully removed.

Buster906
03-12-2021, 01:22 PM
How aggressive do you want to be? What is your budget? Do you expect to be taking out scratches? Have you done a test spot on your vehicle to see if the paint is hard or soft? There are a load of questions to be answered to select just a dedicated compound or polish and pad. NSP150 is very aggressive, NSP95 is a medium abrasive, and NSP45 is a soft abrasive. 3D One is a great all-purpose compound that is a "smart abrasive" and can be used as a compound or polish.

If you are going to go straight for cutting only NSP150 or 3D ONE.I do not want to spend more than 30 dollars per bottle.
I believe the clear coat is quite hard.
I tried Meguiars M85 and a orange foam pad and some of the swirls and light scratches were lightened.

Buster906
03-12-2021, 01:27 PM
Cutmax has no dusting out of all of them. So if that is something you prefer then that is the one to go with. It is a great compound.

The UltraCut is nice. CarPro did their homework on this one and got it right. Leagues above their clearcut compound.

I would do a test spot with what you have. In saying that I would upgrade your compound(s) to any of the ones I recommended.

You will not miss M105.I did some research on Cutmax. Not familiar with Ultracut. I have some quality choices to decide on.