PDA

View Full Version : Taping off for polishing - Picking up glue

Elo76
03-11-2021, 11:29 AM
When I was wiping off residue during polishing this past weekend, my MF towel kept picking up some glue when I got by the tape's edge. Does this happen to you guys? How do I avoid this? It's a pain when it happens. I'm using the 3m green tape purchased from AG so it's the correct stuff. Should I simply not get that close?

2black1s
03-11-2021, 01:02 PM
It's quite normal for this to happen. You just have to develop your "work around" methodology to address it.

My first work around method is to only polish right up to a tape line when absolutely necessary and to avoid it, and taping in general, whenever possible.

Elo76
03-11-2021, 01:08 PM
I use to never tape off before and just getting as close as I could to things. Now I taped off and created another problem....lol. I figured the purpose of taping was to protect trim and also to get right up to the edge.

Rsurfer
03-11-2021, 01:25 PM
Once you get proficient buffing up to the tape line and not over it, you won't have to tape.

Desertnate
03-11-2021, 03:20 PM
The only things I tape off are areas I REALLY don't want to polish over(lenses of headlights and taillights), or surfaces I polish residue will be very hard to remove/possibly stain (soft rubber trim, or that horrible "mouse fur" around some sun roofs). Otherwise I'm just very careful when hitting the edges and think twice about the angle and position I'm in before going to an area I might not want the polisher to hit.

Elo76
03-11-2021, 03:56 PM
The only things I tape off are areas I REALLY don't want to polish over(lenses of headlights and taillights), or surfaces I polish residue will be very hard to remove/possibly stain (soft rubber trim, or that horrible "mouse fur" around some sun roofs). Otherwise I'm just very careful when hitting the edges and think twice about the angle and position I'm in before going to an area I might not want the polisher to hit.

Got it. I thought that taping everything off was going to be a time-saver since I didn't have to worry about going outside the lines.

Turns out I should just use it to protect and don't go up to the tape line either.

Bruno Soares
03-11-2021, 07:17 PM
I usually try to wrap the edges with tape so get it slightly under trim or whatever it is that you’re protecting. Not always possible but doing it where possible avoids getting glue from the tape while wiping the product off.

PaulMys
03-11-2021, 07:24 PM
Once you get proficient buffing up to the tape line and not over it, you won't have to tape.

........and save yourself countless hours.

57Rambler
03-11-2021, 07:28 PM
I usually try to wrap the edges with tape so get it slightly under trim or whatever it is that you’re protecting. Not always possible but doing it where possible avoids getting glue from the tape while wiping the product off.

Here's how I do it ...

Take piece of tape and turn it upside down, with adhesive side up. I then slide the leading edge of the tape under the piece of trim, then fold the tape up and back over the trim piece to cover it. So the only tape edge exposed is in the middle of the trim piece or thereabouts, depending on width of tape used.

2black1s
03-11-2021, 07:42 PM

........and save yourself countless hours.

While this is true to some extent, there are times when it is prudent to tape an edge. Just for the record, I'm not a tape every edge/body line kind of guy. Only where I feel the risk warrants the effort.

Examples:
- Misaligned body panels where one edge is higher than the other and opening/closing the panel will not provide the necessary relief. Front fender to door edge is a typical area where this occurs.
- Textured plastic trim
- Any area that I don't want to clean up polishing residue from

psnt1ol
03-11-2021, 08:31 PM
While this is true to some extent, there are times when it is prudent to tape an edge. Just for the record, I'm not a tape every edge/body line kind of guy. Only where I feel the risk warrants the effort.

Examples:
- Misaligned body panels where one edge is higher than the other and opening/closing the panel will not provide the necessary relief. Front fender to door edge is a typical area where this occurs.
- Textured plastic trim
- Any area that I don't want to clean up polishing residue from

I feel the same way. Also.... by having enough hours working with a particular tool and liquid, one generally would get a better understanding of what their capabilities and deficiencies are. That also holds true for our own detailing proficiency. I generally like to do all the edge work around the car with a small tool and pad first prior in bringing out the bigger pads to finish. My focus is always sharper in the beginning than at the end of a session so I use that to my advantage. Plus... this eliminate the need to switch polishers back and forth from panel to panel.

dgage
03-11-2021, 08:41 PM
I feel the same way. Also.... by having enough hours working with a particular tool and liquid, one generally would get a better understanding of what their capabilities and deficiencies are. That also holds true for our own detailing proficiency. I generally like to do all the edge work around the car with a small tool and pad first prior in bringing out the bigger pads to finish. My focus is always sharper in the beginning than at the end of a session so I use that to my advantage. Plus... this eliminate the need to switch polishers back and forth from panel to panel.

Really like this sage wisdom. Towards the end it isn’t only my focus that is waning but also just wanting to get it done. Putting details early would be a boon for me.

57Rambler
03-12-2021, 06:44 PM
I generally like to do all the edge work around the car with a small tool and pad first prior in bringing out the bigger pads to finish. My focus is always sharper in the beginning than at the end of a session so I use that to my advantage. Plus... this eliminate the need to switch polishers back and forth from panel to panel.

Totally makes sense and is akin to how you would tackle painting a room, for example ... cut in all the trim, etc. with a brush, then bring out the roller for the big stuff.

JustJesus
03-12-2021, 07:09 PM
one thing I do, is I take a length of tape, 1, 2, 3 feet, whatever, and stick it to my CLEAN shirt. Pull it off, and on/off again 2 or 3 times.
helps soften the stickiness of the tape.