PDA

View Full Version : Opinions in this BMW (2007) Paint

Sharply Dressed
03-09-2021, 11:35 AM
This is my brother in law’s car. It’s never garaged but sits out in NYC weather. My questions are about the paint on the front hood and roof top. The trunk looks fine (manageable). I can’t tell if the clear is gone, some detailer damaged it (he told me he took it to a place he thought was reputable) or if it just needs a good multi step or special product. Looking for recommendations please. Thanks in advance. 72693

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Hoekstra
03-09-2021, 11:55 AM
Based solely on those pictures, it appears to be at the beginning stage of clear coat failure. You can wash it, lightly (not aggressive) clay, and use a very soft pad and AIO and help it. Put an extra application of a paint sealant on it to help prevent further damage. Beyond that, contact the local religious leader of your chosing and have them perform last rights.

2black1s
03-09-2021, 04:36 PM
Based solely on those pictures, it appears to be at the beginning stage of clear coat failure. You can wash it, lightly (not aggressive) clay, and use a very soft pad and AIO and help it. Put an extra application of a paint sealant on it to help prevent further damage. Beyond that, contact the local religious leader of your chosing and have them perform last rights.

100% agree with the last rights.

Only partially agree with the salvage steps... My experience is once paint gets to a certain point there's not much that can be done. You can try polishing/waxing etc., but even if you can improve the appearance the results are usually very short lived.

Sizzle Chest
03-09-2021, 09:20 PM
Yep, unfortunately, it appears as if the clear/paint is on it's last leg. It would need to be repainted.