PDA

View Full Version : Customer comment..

Pages : [1] 2

Eric7810
03-03-2021, 02:44 PM
How would you guys respond to someone who, when talking to them about their vehicles, said to you “oh, that car is too old to be detailed..”

I’m trying to get his biz, but I was stumped on how to respond to that comment.

Or do I just tell myself he’s not a customer I want...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2black1s
03-03-2021, 04:45 PM
I would say something like this...

"Why don't you bring it by and let me take a look at it. You'd be surprised at the improvement that can be made on some older vehicles. No pressure, just let me have a look and we'll go from there. Not all old vehicles are salvageable but at least I can give you my professional opinion and recommendations along with what can be expected".

weekend warrior
03-03-2021, 04:52 PM
How would you guys respond to someone who, when talking to them about their vehicles, said to you “oh, that car is too old to be detailed..”

I’m trying to get his biz, but I was stumped on how to respond to that comment.

Have you mentioned a price....maybe he is to cheap
offer to do it for a lesser price
tell him his car is the second most item he can buy besides his house
when he sells his car he will get more money for it

LOL maybe he is a lost cause....lots of luck

PaulMys
03-03-2021, 05:52 PM
Did he come to you, Eric?

Or is he a 99%er that couldn't care less about what his vehicle looks like?

If he came to you, then the advice above is spot-on.

If not, you may not want to spend a bunch of time explaining to a "non-believer". ;)

JDGolden
03-03-2021, 06:30 PM
Just curious, what kind of car? Could always do a test spot, like a spoiler or part of the trunk lid to show the improvement.

IH8SPM
03-03-2021, 06:44 PM
I would ask how the vehicle is used.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Billy Baldone
03-03-2021, 08:15 PM
Eric, I would slap his face, and challenge him to a good old fashioned duel..... with pistols..... ooooohhh or swords.... yeah, swords

Coatingsarecrack
03-04-2021, 04:06 AM
I’m sales and can tell you that he doesn’t see value in your service for that car. His way of saying i dont want to spend the money.

You’d have to find a reason for him to see value in it. Agree with whoever recommended a test spot.

FUNX650
03-04-2021, 12:26 PM
How would you guys respond to someone
who, when talking to them about their
vehicles, said to you “oh, that car is too
old to be detailed..”

I’m trying to get his biz, but I was stumped
on how to respond to that comment.

Prove him wrong!

•Sounds like he has more than just this
one—‘too old to be detailed’—vehicle.
-Offer to detail this vehicle gratis.

Afterwards, IMO:

•Once he sees the night—>day turnaround:
-Make room on your schedule for his other
vehicle(s). I’d bet that a lot of his family’s
and friends’ vehicles will also be awaiting
their turn at your detailing prowess.

Bob

Eric7810
03-04-2021, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, very very helpful.

He is a co worker of mine (I detail as a side job). He was asking about my detail gig, as the weather here in Michigan is starting to turn. I asked if his own car could use some love, and that’s when he insisted it was too old.

I think he’s just a tire kicker, but his comment made me realize I didn’t have a response ready for that one.

sudsmobile
03-05-2021, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, very very helpful.

He is a co worker of mine (I detail as a side job). He was asking about my detail gig, as the weather here in Michigan is starting to turn. I asked if his own car could use some love, and that’s when he insisted it was too old.

I think he’s just a tire kicker, but his comment made me realize I didn’t have a response ready for that one.

Translation: I drive old cars for a variety of reasons and one of those reasons is because I don't want to spend any money on the upkeep. Move on, not worth your time. Certainly don't work for free or a discount to prove a point. That customer doesn't value his vehicle, your time and is never going to be a source of future income. Believe me when I tell you that people that actually value your time, book appointments with you constantly, pay your price and a hefty tip typically don't send much business your way, it's not coming for someone you had to convince to let you do the work at a discount.

hoyt66
03-06-2021, 05:32 AM
Makes me think of a lesson my mom taught when I was young. She told me to sweep the floor of our close to being condemned house. Being a troubled teenager I told her "no, this house sucks!" to which she came down the hallway grabbed the broom and said as she beat me with the broom once between each word " THIS HOUSE MIGHT NOT BE MUCH BUT ITS GOING TO BE CLEAN NOW YOU GET YOUR A$$ SWEEPING!" So yeah, just because the car is old does not mean it cannot be clean. Long story good point! IMO

chinee
03-06-2021, 07:03 AM
Makes me think of a lesson my mom taught when I was young. She told me to sweep the floor of our close to being condemned house. Being a troubled teenager I told her "no, this house sucks!" to which she came down the hallway grabbed the broom and said as she beat me with the broom once between each word " THIS HOUSE MIGHT NOT BE MUCH BUT ITS GOING TO BE CLEAN NOW YOU GET YOUR A$$ SWEEPING!" So yeah, just because the car is old does not mean it cannot be clean. Long story good point! IMO

That's about the best response here! :D

... and the sales guy was also correct. If the customer can't find value in your service for his product, he won't bite.

RTexasF
03-06-2021, 09:30 AM
I see it as pointless to pursue this "customer". His words were few but expressed volumes of telling information.

barry2021
03-06-2021, 06:03 PM
If he is a co-worker you will see him often, so show him a few before and after photos of your work. Even if he doesn't go ahead with his own car he may still recommend you to others. If your work is good you won't need to go chasing business.

Don't ever offer free service or discounts as that will be expected of you until the day you retire.