PDA

View Full Version : Still a place for older products??

Hammondc
03-01-2021, 02:43 PM
I was fairly active on here back in the mid/late 2000s. Back then, sealants were all the rage. I sill have some Klasse, Souveran, PBs Black Hole, Menzerna PowerLock and I even think some 4* stuff around. Is there still a place for this older generation of products or have most folks gone to ceramic/graphene stuff?

Mike Phillips
03-01-2021, 02:51 PM
If it's a liquid and after shaking it up you see a uniform appearance and consistency I'd use it up.

:)

Hammondc
03-01-2021, 02:54 PM
I am sure it is usable. I always kept the stuff inside. I just wonder if anyone still does use it. Are folks still using Carnauba vs synthetics still? I just poked my head in here a few weeks ago and am blown away by all the new stuff. I have a company car so I have been out of it a while, but my GF just bought a new 4Runner, so the detail bug is spreading its wings.

noorth
03-01-2021, 03:53 PM
If you do want to try some new stuff. Gyeon Cancoat could be an excellent option. It will last much longer then most if not all sealants.

However, like you said the amount of products is pretty astounding. Ceramic waxes are interesting has well if you like machine applying waxes.

2black1s
03-01-2021, 05:54 PM
To answer the first part of your two-part question... one word - Absolutely!

57Rambler
03-01-2021, 06:16 PM
There's lots of "old school" products around that still hold their own pretty well against the new kids on the block. One of the biggest, if not main, "feature", of the newer products is their longevity. So if you're "old school" and don't mind (or even enjoy) applying a good wax/sealant 2-3X a year, then "some guy" here on AG has a saying ... :laughing:

Find something you like and use it often (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/24310-find-something-you-like-use-often.html)

PaulMys
03-01-2021, 06:25 PM
There's lots of "old school" products around that still hold their own pretty well against the new kids on the block. One of the biggest, if not main, "feature", of the newer products is their longevity. So if you're "old school" and don't mind (or even enjoy) applying a good wax/sealant 2-3X a year, then "some guy" here on AG has a saying ... :laughing:

Find something you like and use it often (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/24310-find-something-you-like-use-often.html)

Totally agree. How can you be "into" car care, and think a few hours of your time twice a year is "too much"? I don't know, just throwing my two pennies in there..........

FUNX650
03-01-2021, 07:16 PM
IMO:

•(Except for being applied thinner; and
then, seemingly: thinner and thinner each
and every successive model year)...
-Modernday vehicle paint-systems’ formulas
haven’t undergone that many fundamental
chemical changes for quite some time.

•With that being the case:
-If the “old-school” detailing chemicals met
with your expectations/approval before your
recent hiatus from detailing...then they should
perform in the exact same capacity nowadays.

Welcome back!

Bob

glen e
03-02-2021, 05:21 AM
I was cleaning out a closet and found two brand new bottles of blackfire crystal seal, I just used one on my friend’s C class Mercedes, it is such good stuff and so easy to use…Found a brand new bottle of blackfire total polish and seal too....So good after six years, never opened.....

JDGolden
03-02-2021, 06:13 AM
I still use the "old stuff" as well. Collinite, Finishkare, Meguiar's, Dodo Juice, Poorboys etc.

Desertnate
03-02-2021, 09:20 AM
Lots of the old products in use for me too when it comes to rubber dressings, car wash soap, bug remover, etc.

Where I have moved on is sealants. I think there are some newer ones which apply easier, may last longer, or display better properties than some of the older formulations. Coatings in general, have led to my sealants moving back to the dark corners of the detailing cabinet.

John U
03-02-2021, 01:39 PM
Nufinish still tests nicely UPDATE 06: 34 Way Ceramic Coating synthetic wax longevity test Perfection Correction LLC - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2fhQmtR2NQ)

Hammondc
03-02-2021, 03:11 PM
Thanks folks! Looks like I may give some Powerlock/Souveran a run this weekend.